Matta Out At Ohio State

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Matta Out At Ohio State

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:35 pm

Savannah Jay wrote:
This makes sense to me...and both Mack and Holtmann seem like good guys who wouldn't want to leave their respective schools in such a bind by leaving now. I find it interesting that Ohio State fired their last 2 coaches in June.

And is it just me, or did the Ohio State job seem to age Matta about 30 years? Kinda hard to believe he's only 49.

Finally, I've seen Buzz Williams and Scott Drew's name bantered about, too.

Buzz doesn't have an agent, so whenever a school may have interest in him, they contact him directly (which allows media to say there have been discussions, X is interest in Buzz, etc.). While at Marquette, Buzz is know to have talked to Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, SMU, Illinois, Auburn, Kansas State, and a couple others I am drawing a blank on. It also doesn't hurt that Buzz and Gary Parrish are good friends, which allows him to float his name out there for a ton of openings. That would, usually, get Buzz a small raise from MU.
GoldenWarrior11

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby milksteak » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:11 am

pki1998 wrote:Looking like bad news for Xavier, Chris Mack put his house up for sale yesterday:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2483-Legends-Way-Crestview-Hills-KY-41017/1419875_zpid/

A quick search of the Kenton County Auditor shows the house is owned by Chris and Christi Mack

http://kcor.org

Not a good day for Xavier

Admittedly, I am not terribly familiar with the site, but there is another home in Northern Kentucky listed to their name (6203 BLACKSTONE CT Taylor Mill, KY). If this is their "new" house, then they seriously downgraded. It's not nearly as nice. Are we sure this wasn't a previous residence or something?
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby milksteak » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:40 am

Take this with a grain of salt -- obviously -- but a guy on ButlerHoops.com claims to have had a conversation with an insider says that the next coach has already been hired. There will be an announcement today.

Once again, take this rumor with a grain of salt.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
milksteak

Postby Muskie » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:54 am

milksteak wrote:
pki1998 wrote:Looking like bad news for Xavier, Chris Mack put his house up for sale yesterday:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2483-Legends-Way-Crestview-Hills-KY-41017/1419875_zpid/

A quick search of the Kenton County Auditor shows the house is owned by Chris and Christi Mack

http://kcor.org

Not a good day for Xavier

Admittedly, I am not terribly familiar with the site, but there is another home in Northern Kentucky listed to their name (6203 BLACKSTONE CT Taylor Mill, KY). If this is their "new" house, then they seriously downgraded. It's not nearly as nice. Are we sure this wasn't a previous residence or something?

I believe that is his old house from when he was an Assistant.
Muskie

Postby Muskie » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:54 am

milksteak wrote:Take this with a grain of salt -- obviously -- but a guy on ButlerHoops.com claims to have had a conversation with an insider says that the next coach has already been hired. There will be an announcement today.

The Butler Board is also watching planes out of Cincy that are flying to OSU. Meanwhile Mack is on vacation in the Caribbean.
Muskie

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:00 am

247 Sports 2017 Basketball Recruiting Composite Team Rankings - updated June 6, 2017

11 - Xavier
19 – Providence
23 - Creighton
27 - Villanova
34 – Butler
41 - Seton Hall
56 – Marquette

71 - Ohio State
73 - DePaul
75 - Georgetown

ConnersvilleBulldog wrote:
Re: Article on what's wrong with UConn recruiting

UConn's recruiting class ranking in the 5 years since moving to the AAC:

2017: 76
2016: 8
2015: 39
2014: 44
2013: 40

Getting a good recruiting class is better than getting a mediocre recruiting class, but even signing a great recruiting class is no guarantee of future success.

Thad Matta's downfall began with a top-five recruiting class that didn't deliver - Jeff Eisenberg, The Dagger - June 6, 2017
On the day he signed the nation’s fifth-rated recruiting class two years ago, Ohio State coach Thad Matta could not stop beaming.

Matta clearly believed the five prized incoming freshmen he landed would keep the Buckeyes nationally relevant for years to come.

“I love who we got,” Matta said. “These were the guys we targeted and we said if we get them we’re going to be happy. So, as I said, I’m elated today.”

To say that Ohio State’s celebrated 2015 recruiting class did not live up to Matta’s glowing remarks would be an understatement of massive proportions. Four members transferred by the end of their freshman season without making any meaningful contributions and the lone remaining player was dismissed earlier this spring after two erratic seasons with the Buckeyes.

Not being able to coax more out of that cornerstone class is a big reason Matta is now out of a job.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:39 am

Here's the latest:

Ohio State men’s basketball: Chris Jent to discuss coaching job with Gene Smith today - Adam Jardy, The Columbus Dispatch - June 7, 2017 - 10:34 AM
With Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith’s search for a new men’s basketball coach accelerating, a name close to home is entering the conversation. According to a source close to the situation, current OSU assistant coach Chris Jent will get an audience with Smith on Wednesday and is expected to make his case for the position.

Last season marked a return to the coaching staff for Jent at his alma mater, where he was previously an assistant under Matta from 2011-13 before accepting an assistant coaching position with the NBA’s Sacramento Kings. As a player, Jent spent four seasons (1988-92) with the Buckeyes before embarking upon a professional career that included two seasons in the NBA.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby milksteak » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:21 am

Muskie wrote:
milksteak wrote:Take this with a grain of salt -- obviously -- but a guy on ButlerHoops.com claims to have had a conversation with an insider says that the next coach has already been hired. There will be an announcement today.

The Butler Board is also watching planes out of Cincy that are flying to OSU. Meanwhile Mack is on vacation in the Caribbean.

Pretty sure that comment was made in jest.
milksteak

Postby butlerguy03 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:05 pm

I'm surprised that with IU and now OSU, Scott Drew hasn't been a top-tier choice. He turned around a program that most people wouldn't have been able to handle. Midwestern boy (Valpo HS & Butler grad) who would know the area well. AND you would probably get Homer Drew as a fantastic "special assistant."
Butler University '03
butlerguy03

Postby stever20 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:36 pm

butlerguy03 wrote:I'm surprised that with IU and now OSU, Scott Drew hasn't been a top-tier choice. He turned around a program that most people wouldn't have been able to handle. Midwestern boy (Valpo HS & Butler grad) who would know the area well. AND you would probably get Homer Drew as a fantastic "special assistant."

my hunch is that he's going to have to go to a middle tier type program before going up to the Big time jobs.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board