Matta Out At Ohio State

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Matta Out At Ohio State

Postby XUFan09 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:10 pm

Jet915 wrote:
Xavier4036 wrote:Interesting Ohio State struck out almost immediately on Sean Miller, Archie Miller (both longshots) and Chris Mack. Hoiberg then pulls himself out and it seems OSU may have struck out on Holtmann too.

Some of these names that are left (and no disrespect to any because all great coaches) - Bob Huggins, Ed Cooley, Greg McDermott.... how does that get the Ohio State fanbase excited trading in a 2-time Final Four coach in Thad Matta for any of them?

Will be interesting to see what Gene Smith can pull out of his hat because it sounds like the Top 5-6 choices would never have gone or have pulled themselves out of consideration.

Something that is odd to me is Ohio State is interview McDermott and Cooley - but won't touch Mick Cronin from UC. Article in the Enquirer today that there's been no communication from OSU to Cronin and really not a ton of talk about him as a potential candidate outside of a few initial articles. I don't know if UC's continued lack of success in March is hurting him but odd it sounds like he's not even being considered.

Cronin is a hot headed f bomb, maybe they dont like his personality...

Yeah, to say that Cronin is lacking in charisma would be a major understatement.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby sju88grad » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:11 pm

That would suck. Another reason to hate Ohio State....
sju88grad

Postby CrawfishBucket » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:14 pm

sju88grad wrote:That would suck. Another reason to hate Ohio State....

Who would the candidates be at Creighton? One guy who has flown a bit under the radar is Kermit Davis at MTSU.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby Omaha1 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:16 pm

My hunch is that Creighton will look to Kevin McKenna. Former CU player and LA Laker who has been a head coach at UN-Omaha and Indiana State. He is the current assistant head coach at Oregon.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Friar82 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:25 pm

I've read that Greg McDermott may have offered, and am hoping (for the BE as well as Creighton and it's great fans) that he rejects the offer, or rescinds any "acceptance" once he gets back to Omaha and has the opportunity to think about things a bit more.

From what I've read, there isn't a whole lot of respect for OSU's AD. That being the case, why jump from a good and presumably stable situation to a rushed offer by a Program that's a bit shaky at the moment?

More than anything, I want Ed Cooley to stay put. That aside, I'd love for his friend, Greg McDermott to stay within the BE.
Friar82

Postby XUFan09 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:45 pm

Friar82 wrote:I've read that Greg McDermott may have offered, and am hoping (for the BE as well as Creighton and it's great fans) that he rejects the offer, or rescinds any "acceptance" once he gets back to Omaha and has the opportunity to think about things a bit more.

From what I've read, there isn't a whole lot of respect for OSU's AD. That being the case, why jump from a good and presumably stable situation to a rushed offer by a Program that's a bit shaky at the moment?

More than anything, I want Ed Cooley to stay put. That aside, I'd love for his friend, Greg McDermott to stay within the BE.

You get a big pay raise and a lot more upside in terms of basketball success. I love what Creighton has done recently, but when it's rolling, Ohio State is a program that only regularly loses recruiting battles to the likes of Duke, Kentucky, etc. Also, the common attitude among coaches is that they are always two to three years of mediocre performance away from getting fired in their current job, whereas a new job usually offers a couple more years of leeway beyond that.

Still, there are good reasons for him not to take the job, including what you mentioned.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby jaxalum » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:26 am

What's the feeling among Creighton fans at this point? As a Big East fan/alum/supporter/Creighton being one of my favorite teams in conference (the great history of games we've played (Korver/West)) I would absolutley hate to see him go. He seemed to be really coming into his own as a coach post "Mcbuckets", and one injury robbed last years team of a possible Final Four run. Creightons recruiting has really started to soar, Patton being a "watershed" type recruit, and the 2017 class consists of three 4* kids.

I will definitely sympathize with Creighton Nation if Mcdermott leaves, not only because you are losing a coach, but, there then remains the possibility of losing a fantastic '17 class. If Mack would have left (never say never with these things) we lose our best recruting class in history (on paper).

I'm definitely hoping for the best for our friends, the Bluejays, that this turns out positively.
Xavier
jaxalum

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:44 am

jaxalum wrote:What's the feeling among Creighton fans at this point? As a Big East fan/alum/supporter/Creighton being one of my favorite teams in conference (the great history of games we've played (Korver/West)) I would absolutley hate to see him go. He seemed to be really coming into his own as a coach post "Mcbuckets", and one injury robbed last years team of a possible Final Four run. Creightons recruiting has really started to soar, Patton being a "watershed" type recruit, and the 2017 class consists of three 4* kids.

I will definitely sympathize with Creighton Nation if Mcdermott leaves, not only because you are losing a coach, but, there then remains the possibility of losing a fantastic '17 class. If Mack would have left (never say never with these things) we lose our best recruting class in history (on paper).

I'm definitely hoping for the best for our friends, the Bluejays, that this turns out positively.

There are a lot of fans disappointed that he hasn't advanced beyond the first weekend. That being said, he's recruited well, the teams are fun to watch and he's just an incredible representative for the school. And, of course, nobody wants him to leave in June.

I think he'll stay and eventually move into the AD's role when Bruce Rasmussen retires. Not based on any inside information, though.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby anXUfan » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:30 am

jaxalum wrote:What's the feeling among Creighton fans at this point? As a Big East fan/alum/supporter/Creighton being one of my favorite teams in conference (the great history of games we've played (Korver/West)) I would absolutley hate to see him go. He seemed to be really coming into his own as a coach post "Mcbuckets", and one injury robbed last years team of a possible Final Four run. Creightons recruiting has really started to soar, Patton being a "watershed" type recruit, and the 2017 class consists of three 4* kids.

Agree 100%.
anXUfan

Postby Savannah Jay » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:28 am

This Jay fan wants Mac to stay for several reasons. One, is to see what this new class of recruits can do for us. Two, not sure our program has ever been in better shape. Three, he is a great representative of the university. A fourth would be the timing is brutal.

Mac has a daughter that is going to be a junior in high school and plays both volleyball and basketball. If Mac does make a change, he is either going to uproot his daughter mid-way through her HS career or he's going to miss almost all of her last 2 years (if she and mom stay in Omaha). I just don't see either of those being appealing to Mac.
Savannah Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board