Matta Out At Ohio State

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Matta Out At Ohio State

Postby CrawfishBucket » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:05 am

admin wrote:
xupuck10 wrote:Sounds like it's official. From Adam Jardy (OSU Beat Reporter): Exclusive: Ohio State will hold a press conference today to introduce Chris Holtmann as its new basketball coach

David Woods of the Indy Star tweeting a source says "zero chance" of a press conference today introducing Holtmann to Ohio State. Interesting.

edit: announcement scheduled, but no presser. 8 yr deal at $3M_+ per year.

How would this be for a press conference to follow that one? 8-)

Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby XUFan09 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:55 pm

EMT wrote:
MullinMayhem wrote:If this happens, Butler has had a lot of turnover in just a handful of seasons.

Hasn't appeared to affect the product on the court

The Brandon Miller product wasn't that great. I'm hoping they do better than that in this next hire.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:37 pm

XUFan09 wrote:
EMT wrote:
MullinMayhem wrote:If this happens, Butler has had a lot of turnover in just a handful of seasons.

The Brandon Miller product wasn't that great. I'm hoping they do better than that in this next hire.

Did we ever find out what happened to Brandon Miller? He isn't even coaching anymore.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby alduflux » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:24 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Did we ever find out what happened to Brandon Miller? He isn't even coaching anymore.

No.
alduflux

Postby EMT » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:46 am

XUFan09 wrote:
EMT wrote:

I'm not sure anyone was going to coach that first BE Butler team to a great record.
EMT

Postby XUFan09 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:33 pm

EMT wrote:
XUFan09 wrote:
EMT wrote:

I'm not sure anyone was going to coach that first BE Butler team to a great record.

Yes, but I bet Stevens or Holtmann would have done better than Kenpom #99. I don't think Miller was that great of a coach, even when taking into account the hand he was dealt.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby CrawfishBucket » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:20 am

This was one of the most interesting coaching changes in recent memory.

I don't think there's much doubt that the Ohio State AD used McDermott as a tool to apply pressure on the Holtmann negotiation.

Pretty sly slight of hand... Using a candidates colleague for leverage... even as Buckeye fans were getting up in arms at the idea of replacing Matta with McDermott. :evil:
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby Jet915 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:51 am

CrawfishBucket wrote:This was one of the most interesting coaching changes in recent memory.

I don't think there's much doubt that the Ohio State AD used McDermott as a tool to apply pressure on the Holtmann negotiation.

Pretty sly slight of hand... Using a candidates colleague for leverage... even as Buckeye fans were getting up in arms at the idea of replacing Matta with McDermott. :evil:

Not sure your theory holds water, it was reported that McDermott was OFFERED the job.
Jet915

Postby CrawfishBucket » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:37 pm

Jet915 wrote:
CrawfishBucket wrote:This was one of the most interesting coaching changes in recent memory.

Not sure your theory holds water, it was reported that McDermott was OFFERED the job.

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad that McDermott is at Creighton still.

I just think he was a harder sell for the OSU AD to his constituents.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby billyjack » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:18 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:
Jet915 wrote:

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad that McDermott is at Creighton still.

I just think he was a harder sell for the OSU AD to his constituents.

Good call... Lol...
First time in sports history that a guy was actually offered a job as a way to entice a different guy to take it. Sounds logical i guess if you live in freakin Wichita Nowhere Land.
Providence
billyjack

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board