Crawfish - Other BE Sports

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Importance Of Other Big East Sports...

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed May 17, 2017 2:47 pm

Well Hell's bells...youse guys are real Barney Fife's now aren't you.

I have held a fanciful notion for years...going back to Kyle Whellington's Mid-Majority days... of little Creighton winning the NACDA Director's Cup (Formerly Sears Cup). Unfortunately, Kyle's brilliant narration and itemizing what it takes to win such an award (short version= either be quite good in many sports or Win championships in a handful) showed me it was damn near impossible for my Jays to even think about such a feat. I was crushed by the pre-2013 realization that in collegiate sports "money talks and BS walks".

"To Dream...the impossible dream, to reach the unreachable star..." I mean if one can't dream, then their is no Valpo over whomever in the dance, no Buster Douglas over Tyson, no Nairo Quintana (Cycling) over the field, no one ever beats the Williams sisters, Damned Kansas wins the Big12 and damned 'Nova wins the BE, forever; etc, etc.

I live and breathe Creighton Hoops, college Basketball, other CU sports...in order. Gave up on pigskin about 15 years ago and will give a sideways glance at soccer, cycling, F1 Racing, and a nod to other stuff. All sports are part of the university/college experience and are a good thing.

The Jays/Hilltoppers have to pre WW2 national "Titles" which are pretty much ignored, and the WBB team won the NIT in 2004. Men's Soccer and Women's Volleyball gives CU its' best shots at an NCAA Crown. Whenever a non-hoops Jays team shows up bigtime...I wake up and take notice, cheer them on, and hope for the best. Any and all press is Good press. Bruce & Company do a good job of brand management and leverage both the competitive and academic achievements to bolster the brand. I am an advocate of Winning is everything (within reason). Gotta promote and be loyal to the "one that brought you to the dance". I'm gonna be one happy camper these next several years as Creighton is primed to shine brightly.

All collegiate activities and sports add value to the overall college experience. Let it be...
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby CrawfishBucket » Fri May 19, 2017 1:42 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:All collegiate activities and sports add value to the overall college experience. Let it be...

I agree with this.

All of the autonomy conferences are ranked at the very top of the most high profile sports. Football, MBB, WBB, Baseball..

Why hire VAL ACKERMAN if the conference is resigned to being poached by Delaware for its Head Coaches? I digress..

Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby Edrick » Fri May 19, 2017 2:51 pm

Of course its 'nice', but it simply doesn't matter for the Big East as a brand.

The Big East brand is simply men's basketball. There is nothing else. Barring the south where college baseball is relevant, other leagues are defined the same way or with football as well.

Do well at what you do. Just don't expect resonance from anything other than men's basketball. Its never going to happen.
Edrick

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri May 19, 2017 5:26 pm

Edrick, I didn't know you were a Drake Univ. fan, nice atavar. ;)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Toronto Rapture » Sun May 21, 2017 6:43 am

I have the B10 network as part of my satellite package. There is year round content (golf, baseball...wrestling (sigh), but I only watch the network during football/basketball/hockey season, which all overlap to an extent. Unless one of those sports is on, I'm not interested. Otherwise, I won't watch it until football season rolls around again. That's just my experience, but maybe a lot of others also could care less about anything that is not basketball or football (and for me, hockey). Which is not to say that other sports are not important to the schools and students, but they probably are not to the average fan of college basketball and football, and I don't think that success in those sports necessarily raises the profile of a school or conference.

This thread led me to check out the BE digital network on youtube after not having done so in a while. Unsurprisingly, the track videos have just a few views, but at least for me, surprisingly the lacrosse videos have several thousands of views (people like lacrosse?). I like the new reporter; in the past, it almost felt like if students were doing the reporting or something.
"...Bull doggin'...like them Georgetown Hoyas..." Big Boi from Outkast
Toronto Rapture

Postby scoscox » Sun May 21, 2017 2:45 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:All collegiate activities and sports add value to the overall college experience. Let it be...

I agree with this.

All of the autonomy conferences are ranked at the very top of the most high profile sports. Football, MBB, WBB, Baseball..

Why hire VAL ACKERMAN if the conference is resigned to being poached by Delaware for its Head Coaches? I digress..

Blaming the conference for Georgetown losing it's head coach doesn't make any sense. This sounds like a Georgetown problem. Not to mention who knows the reasons why women's coaches move around. The dynamics is women's sports are totally different.
scoscox

Postby herodotus » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:22 am

scoscox wrote:
CrawfishBucket wrote:

I agree with this.

Blaming the conference for Georgetown losing it's head coach doesn't make any sense. This sounds like a Georgetown problem. Not to mention who knows the reasons why women's coaches move around. The dynamics is women's sports are totally different.

Delaware is a better program than Georgetown. Would have been like a coach leaving SH to go to Butler before the split. Yeah, SH was in the BE, but everyone with a brain knew Butler was a better program, despite being in the Horizon.

Women's hoops is so top heavy, that unless you have one of the powerhouses in your league, it really doesn't matter. I looked at the BE in women's hoops. Three bids a year, occasionally has a team in the Top 25. Occasionally reaches the second weekend of the tourney. You know what that sounds like? The A10 men. That is exactly what BE Women's basketball is. A nice upper level mid major, and guess what, it doesn't affect the brand at all, because no one really looks at leagues in women's hoops. They look at Godzilla (UConn), and they look at the handful of programs that are fit to even be on the court with them, none of which are in the BE. Outside of that group, the rest are invisible.
herodotus

Postby CrawfishBucket » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:58 pm

Cincinnati just poached Xavier's baseball coach. Scott Googins is off to the AAC, which ranked as the #4 baseball conference.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/ ... 374923001/

Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby Xavier4036 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:53 pm

Why is a Georgetown basketball fan monitoring the Cincinnati Enquirer and posting on a Big East basketball message board when an American Athletic school hires a new baseball coach.... 30 minutes after its public?

Odd behavior of a Georgetown basketball fan.

I would guess this all came down to money. Not much to do with American Athletic baseball, just simple fact UC could pay him more than Xavier. Xavier had a great run with him. Back to back Big East championships and 2 back to back NCAA regional finals appearances. Good luck to him at UC
Xavier4036

Postby CrawfishBucket » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:07 pm

Xavier4036 wrote:Why is a Georgetown basketball fan monitoring the Cincinnati Enquirer and posting on a Big East basketball message board when an American Athletic school hires a new baseball coach.... 30 minutes after its public?

Odd behavior of a Georgetown basketball fan.

I would guess this all came down to money. Not much to do with American Athletic baseball, just simple fact UC could pay him more than Xavier. Xavier had a great run with him. Back to back Big East championships and 2 back to back NCAA regional finals appearances. Good luck to him at UC

This is an AWFUL look.

Money is part of it but Cincinnati is just a better job.

Check this out. http://warrennolan.com/baseball/2017/conferencerpi
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board