2018 Recruiting Class Could Be The Best Yet

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2018 Recruiting Class Could Be The Best Yet

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:07 am

stever20 wrote:so you don't think having 3 fewer guys even though there are a lot fewer guys left is a problem?

And what's big is who doesn't have much yet.... Seton Hall has no one. Georgetown has no one. You can act like it's really early, but the fact of the matter is that it's really not. Especially given how many of the 4/5 star guys are already gone. There's only 59 4/5 star guys left.... And Duke/Kansas/Kentucky have exactly 2 guys right now, and you know they'll get theirs. For whatever reason, this years class seems to be committing a whole lot earlier than normal.....

The 1 good thing with the class that I would say- the coaches in the Big East seem to be really solid now, so probably no March coaching changes with the corresponding re-opening of the guys who committed early.

Interesting hat you singled out SHU a day after nabbing Thompson from Cuse as a transfer. Was he not a Top 100 guy? And Gtown has a new coach so we won't know about their recruiting until 2019-2020.

What I see is that every program (including DePaul) has brought in top end talent the last 4 recruiting cycles. Conversely, the AAC thinks it's a FB conference and the BB recruiting has suffered as a result. Turn that microscope to UC nad UConn and tell me what you see. Recruits don't want to come play in front of 3,000 people in a conference tourney in Hartford or Orlando or Dallas.

And for the 1000th time, the BE schools recruit differently than the SEC, ACC, P12, etc. Count the # of OAD's coming out of those conferences each year and compare to the BE. For every Alonzo Ball, Fultz, Simmons, and Okafor, I'll raise you a Josh Hart, Trevon Blueitt, Angel Delgado and Kelan Martin. We don't need huge classes. X just brought in a huge class last year and I expect most of that class to graduate. UK, Duke, Az? Yeah, don't hold your breath. That fact alone skews class rankings tremendously. But you prefer to be a troll/tool on this subject. Getting old Stever...getting old.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:01 am

Outside of the Nova guys- and Xavier guys to a lesser extent- what exactly have Delgado and even Martin done? How many NCAA wins does Seton Hall have in the 3 years with Delgado? 0. Martin has 4 NCAA wins. But Kentucky same timeframe with the One and Dones- they have 8 NCAA wins- and a final 4 trip. Duke has 9 NCAA wins and a title. Arizona has 5 NCAA wins. Odds are really good that Alonzo Ball will wind up with more NCAA wins than Delgado will. Okafor will likely wind up with more NCAA wins than Martin does. Even right now, Blueitt has 6 NCAA wins- or the same as Okafor. And at times, guys do stay longer than just 1 year.... Very possible Rawle Alkins winds up with more NCAA wins than Martin does.

As far as Thompson- first off, nothing as far as I've heard is official regarding that. But moreso- Seton Hall needs a lot more than just 1 guy. Of their top 7 last year- 1 is already gone as a senior- and then 3 others are going to be seniors this year. They're going to need a lot more than just 1. They got 1 top 100 guy this past year so that'll help some- but they're going to need more. As far as Ewing with Georgetown- giving him a pass this year? Really? I mean, Indiana with a brand new coach has 3 4 star guys already lined up and is the #4 class at this point. They don't get anyone else looking at their point total they would have finished #35 last year. So how can they do that but Ewing can't? (oh, and all have committed for Inidana since mid-July this year).

And regardless- last year Big East didn't get any 5 star guys so it's the 4 star guys which you claim is the Big East Bread and Butter..... Last year this time had 10 guys, this year only 7. And that's with a whole lot more taken now than last year.

And end of the day- what exactly does the Big East have as end results to all the recruiting? Just the lowest winning percentage of the P6 in the thing that matters most, the NCAA tourney. You can scream regular season all you want- but the fact of the matter is, the tourney is what matters. Yes, Nova has the title. But so does Duke and UNC and UConn. But Nova only BE team to make the final 4 and only 2 teams made elite 8 in the 4 years. You say that's not fair, regular season matters. I say look in MLB. If the Dodgers lose in the NLDS, what exactly will their 110 regular season wins mean? Nothing.

And love how every single time you bring it back to the AAC. You and all the folks here always want to bring the recruitng back to the AAC, but then when the season starts, you want no comparisons with the AAC. WTF.
stever20

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:30 am

I wonder, years from now, if there will still be the pursuit of college basketball fans that will aim to diminish the relevancy and strength of the Big East, as well as artificially inflate and overvalue the credentials of the American.

Same tune, different season.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Xudash » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:22 am

Someone wakes up one day, having spent so much time farting into the wind about the Big East, only to realize that a bunch of life was spent, unsuccessfully fussing from an increasingly diminished position about why the Big East never recovered from its 2013 reset.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby X-man » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Xudash wrote:Someone wakes up one day, having spent so much time farting into the wind about the Big East, only to realize that a bunch of life was spent, unsuccessfully fussing from an increasingly diminished position about why the Big East never recovered from its 2013 reset.

You can really see how big a fan Stever20 is of the BE by checking out his many many comments on this thread from another "BE" board. Here is the link for anyone interested: http://csnbbs.com/thread-774558.html.
Xavier will surprise. Never count them out of the Dance.
X-man

Postby CrawfishBucket » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:56 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:I wonder, years from now, if there will still be the pursuit of college basketball fans that will aim to diminish the relevancy and strength of the Big East, as well as artificially inflate and overvalue the credentials of the American.

Same tune, different season.

I don't think there has to be a binary either/or in terms of ones good as ones not.
Many of us still follow all the teams we grew up watching, regardless of affiliation.
I watch Big East, ACC, and the AAC.
Each conference took different paths to assembling their membership. All unique approaches that had differing timelines for growth.
Each of those conference has a national championship.
The ACC's requirements for expansion started off Football-based, then veered toward basketball, then back to football.
The current Big East chose to expand according to current basketball success. Geography and everything else was secondary.
The American decided to grow basketball programs at preferred institutional/geographic/football fits. It's been interesting to see the conference grow from afar. It's not surprising its a yearly debate because their approach has nurtured emerging programs at SMU, Houston, UCF, etc. Wichita State gives the American a legit Top 10 program as well. UConn and Temple are looking good for 17-18. Memphis hired Tubby Smith. It's hard not to see the work. The Wichita State addition now makes Tulsa look like an inspired choice (as both a bridge and a rival for them).
This is likely a debate that will be ongoing because that conference is looking better now than it did the year the Huskies won the mens and womens championships. (2014?)
All that said, the Big East is set to change again too. Holtmann is gone and so is Thompson. I happen to think that Patrick Ewing is going to be a rockstar in this profession. A resurgent Georgetown program immediately raises the profile of the conference.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby TrueBlueJay » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:54 pm

Holy Crap! Stever has 27,451 posts on that other board in less than 8 years. That is 3,431 post per year. Add on top of that the 8,000+ on this board in 4 years.

God, it must be such a lonely existence to be so utterly wrapped up in something like this. I truly feel bad for him now...I'm sure his defense mechanisms will tell him different, but what a sad state for him to live his life like this.
TrueBlueJay

Postby CrawfishBucket » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:54 pm

Testing 1, 2, 3... Are you going to censor this too? I can't say I don't hate the ACC or AAC?

Seriously
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:10 pm

Stever, you can't be this stupid. No one in the BE is comparing themselves to the blue bloods. And you ask what Martin and Delgado have done for their programs while ignoring programs like LSU and Washington who had the top picks (OAD's) in the draft and neither even played a single postseason game, let alone a tourney game. Go away. You're embarrassing yourself. Take Buckethead with you.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:10 pm

TrueBlueJay wrote:Holy Crap! Stever has 27,451 posts on that other board in less than 8 years. That is 3,431 post per year. Add on top of that the 8,000+ on this board in 4 years.

God, it must be such a lonely existence to be so utterly wrapped up in something like this. I truly feel bad for him now...I'm sure his defense mechanisms will tell him different, but what a sad state for him to live his life like this.

That's 9.4 posts a day for a full 8 years. Sad. Just sad.

Buy a puppy, Stever!

Wizard of Westroads

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board