2018 Recruiting Class Could Be The Best Yet

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2018 Recruiting Class Could Be The Best Yet

Postby adoraz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:33 am

stever20 wrote:
adoraz wrote:Big East has 6 recruits in the top 63, 50% more than any other year since the new league formed. There are 128 recruits at 4/5*, with one Big East recruit at #123. Oh, and those top 63 figures for prior years are the FINAL numbers vs the still in progress 2018 number.

Now while it is true that we have stuck to the 4/5* 247 composite rankings (and still are in this above post, just outlining how top heavy the class is), Stever has spent the past 4/5 years applying a million different filters to make the Big East look bad. Something tells me Stever knew how great the top 6/7 of the class is, but his sole purpose is to troll so he didn't mention this.

Seriously Stever, you are a joke. Misleading posts by you should be banned. Yes 7 total 4/5* recruits may be down from the same time last year, but you intentionally omitted important information.

Um, what are you talking about. The 2014 class(that you love to forget in all of these discussions for some reason) had 5 recruits in the top 63, plus 65 and 68. Oh, and right now, the Big East has 5 recruits in the top 63. 34 Hauser Marquette 43 Swider Nova 48 Duke PC 49 Reeves PC 55 Slater Nova. Campbell is gone from DePaul.....

I think like DuneAnon said, this class is looking down compared to other years. Anyone objectively looking at it would say that.

I looked at the 247 rankings rather than the 247 composite rankings by accident, which is my fault, but the point still stands.

If you look at the top 55 (in the 247 Composite, not the Top 247 I was initially looking at), there are 5 recruits for 2018 so far, which is tied for the most with the 2014 class (completed already). Quit playing dumb, you realized the class is very top heavy. We don't have a lot of 4* recruits in the 100-140 range like we would've had in prior years. We are being more selective with even higher ranking recruits.

As for what DA said, I am not surprised with Xavier considering how strong their class was last year. Wasn't it best in their history? Nova's class is looking very strong this year with 2 recruits in the top 55, so what point are you trying to make there? They recruit better than your entire AAC conference. And yes, it is possible this class will be down from last year, especially in terms of volume. But point still stands that you are coming in here simply to shit on the Big East and ONLY presenting the negatives while intentionally ignoring the positives.

Here's a challenge for you Stever. I have not looked into the result myself but I'm sure you have time to since you've done this before many times (including last year) to bash recruiting. What is the average ranking for the 4/5* recruits in 2018 vs prior years? Just guessing, but I think it has to be pretty good.
Johnnies
adoraz

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:45 am

In terms of # of top 60 players, this years class is tied with 2014 for the top. But what has been the trademark of the BE recruiting recently has been the depth of the classes. That's something that is definitely missing this year so far. And I would argue depth is what's needed this year. I mean Georgetown needs a lot. Seton Hall will be losing a ton this year- and has no one. DePaul needs a lot.

Right now only PC, Nova, and Georgetown would be in the final top 50 for recruiting. that would be the lowest it's been in years(1st 4 years it's been 5,4,6,6 teams).

I just think it's funny that you've been preaching depth both last year and this year in recruiting, and now you are changing your tune. So which is it that you value? Depth or top recruits?
stever20

Postby adoraz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:36 pm

stever20 wrote:In terms of # of top 60 players, this years class is tied with 2014 for the top. But what has been the trademark of the BE recruiting recently has been the depth of the classes. That's something that is definitely missing this year so far. And I would argue depth is what's needed this year. I mean Georgetown needs a lot. Seton Hall will be losing a ton this year- and has no one. DePaul needs a lot.

Right now only PC, Nova, and Georgetown would be in the final top 50 for recruiting. that would be the lowest it's been in years(1st 4 years it's been 5,4,6,6 teams).

I just think it's funny that you've been preaching depth both last year and this year in recruiting, and now you are changing your tune. So which is it that you value? Depth or top recruits?

You forgot about Creighton, who would also be in the top 50 at #42. Meaning we'd be TIED with that 2014 class you praise so much. Then you have teams at #61, #62, and #65.

We don't have as much depth this year, but that could be due to teams waiting on better recruits who take longer to decide.

To answer your question, obviously you want BOTH depth and top recruits. It's extremely rare to get both, though. Most conferences, as you well know, get neither. Since you come into these topics with you own talking points I need to take the counter argument.

Also I see you skipped over my challenge for you. Did you do the exercise and not like the results?
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby AlexJesswein » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:03 am

5* guard Quentin Grimes is currently on his official visit to Marquette.
AlexJesswein

Postby billyjack » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:08 pm

The top prospect PG Quinerly has decommitted from Arizona.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Irishdawg » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:25 pm

billyjack wrote:The top prospect PG Quinerly has decommitted from Arizona.

Not entirely shocking, but I don't know how many schools are going to want to take a chance on a kid that likely won't be eligible.
Irishdawg

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:00 pm

Irishdawg wrote:

Not entirely shocking, but I don't know how many schools are going to want to take a chance on a kid that likely won't be eligible.

Nova might be one.

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution ... redictions
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Irishdawg » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:32 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
Irishdawg wrote:

Nova might be one.

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution ... redictions

I'd like to change my mind. Low risk for the second school since Arizona should bear the brunt of any institutional penalties (worst thing for his second school is he's ineligible and can't play), and huge reward if he can play. Plus, most schools don't use all 13 scholarships anyway. Smart if Villanova is willing to take him on.
Irishdawg

Postby MullinMayhem » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:20 am

Looks like Seton Hall got Nelson a 4 star guard. Seton Hall can now be broken down into the pre-Willard Whitehead Tiny deal and the post Tiny deal. It totally changed their program by hiring a player's coach. No one can ever say it doesn't pay off to do that stuff.
MullinMayhem

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:58 am

MullinMayhem wrote:Looks like Seton Hall got Nelson a 4 star guard. Seton Hall can now be broken down into the pre-Willard Whitehead Tiny deal and the post Tiny deal. It totally changed their program by hiring a player's coach. No one can ever say it doesn't pay off to do that stuff.

Nelson's a 3 star with upside. He wasn't a primary target, but happy to have him nonetheless. One thing this does do is continue SHU's pipeline from the NY Lightning AAU program, where Carrington and Delgado played as well. Nelson said he's trying to get his Lightning teammate Jared Rhoden, who also has the Hall in his top 5, to join him.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board