2018 Recruiting Class Could Be The Best Yet

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2018 Recruiting Class Could Be The Best Yet

Postby pc5151 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:24 pm

God you suck Stever. I come to this site to check out Big East news and all read is your garbage about the AAC which no one cares about.

Please find a new site you f@cking clown
pc5151

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:04 pm

I wasn't the one who every time the Big East gets someone posts stuff like a moderator here who said "5 Top 100 recruits and 6 on top 150 so far for Big East per Rivals. ZERO for AAC....just sayin.". Why do people here have to post that stuff? Can anyone please answer that. Don't want to be compared to them in the regular season but come recruiting time, it's game on.
stever20

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:34 am

stever20 wrote:I wasn't the one who every time the Big East gets someone posts stuff like a moderator here who said "5 Top 100 recruits and 6 on top 150 so far for Big East per Rivals. ZERO for AAC....just sayin.". Why do people here have to post that stuff? Can anyone please answer that. Don't want to be compared to them in the regular season but come recruiting time, it's game on.

They do it because you are by far the most frequent poster on a fan forum that you are not a fan of, and you sulk and cry when anything remotely negative gets written about your beloved AAC. I try to have objective debate with you but you can't help yourself. You are compelled to throw nonsense, uncorrelated, unsubstantiated and skewed data out there which simply cannot be defended objectively. When confronted with facts you move the goalposts.

I just showed you that the AAC has struggled with recruiting vs the top 6 conferences. You ignore it. The bottom line is that in terms of recruiting, conf RPI and KPI, March bids and March success, the AAC and A10 are more alike than they are to the Top 6 conferences. I guess that stings. Sorry, but the data is clear and irrefutable. Temple, like UConn, was once a national program but who has undeniably taken a large step backwards since joining the AAC. You incredulously deny that it's happening. If you are not willing to admit to basic, undeniable truths then there is no point.

I think you are welcome here if you're ready to be honest. But if you and Crawfish and others think a BIG EAST fan forum is the place to promote how great the AAC is, and a place to troll responses with your snide jabs, I think you should move on. Here's a great idea. How about you moderate an AAC discussion board of your very own? Oh wait...you tried that and you found the AAC hoops scene to be less than enthusiastic about the subject matter. I completely understand that.
Last edited by GumbyDamnit! on Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Savannah Jay » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:57 am

stever20 wrote:I wasn't the one who every time the Big East gets someone posts stuff like a moderator here who said "5 Top 100 recruits and 6 on top 150 so far for Big East per Rivals. ZERO for AAC....just sayin.". Why do people here have to post that stuff? Can anyone please answer that. Don't want to be compared to them in the regular season but come recruiting time, it's game on.

What Gumby said...and I will add, again, that if you went away so would all of the discussion of the AAC. You are a fraud who pretends to be a fan of the Big East. And even when you attempted to "come clean," you said you attended NOVA on a Big East board, only to have to explain that it's a community college in Northern Virginia, not that stellar academic institution in Philadelphia that's a member of this conference. It's almost like you are intentionally making yourself look like a feckin fool.

Most folks on here seem more than willing to discuss college basketball in an intelligent fashion. However, duplicitous frauds attempting to promote other conferences, networks, or whatever snake oil you're peddling is where the discussion gets sidetracked. Regarding the recruiting comparisons, you seem to offer a negative comment on almost every new Big East recruiting success and attempt to imply that the recruiting at Big East schools is trending downward...it's at that point that folks need to remind you that the AAC recruiting sucks. We aren't comparing the Big East recruiting to AAC recruiting, because there's no comparison. We are "trolling the troll," as they say.

Maybe you should try the AAC message board thing. Now that Wichita is on board you may be able to double the number of people who give a shit.
Savannah Jay

Postby stever20 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:13 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:

They do it because you are by far the most frequent poster on a fan forum that you are not a fan of, and you sulk and cry when anything remotely negative gets written about your beloved AAC. I try to have objective debate with you but you can't help yourself. You are compelled to throw nonsense, uncorrelated, unsubstantiated and skewed data out there which simply cannot be defended objectively. When confronted with facts you move the goalposts.

I just showed you that the AAC has struggled with recruiting vs the top 6 conferences. You ignore it. The bottom line is that in terms of recruiting, conf RPI and KPI, March bids and Match success, the AAC and A10 are more alike than they are to the Top 6 confrerences. I guess that Stinggs. Sorry, but the data is clear and irrefutable. Temple, like UConn, was once national program who has undeniably taken a large step backwards since joininnthe AAC. You incredulously deny that it's happening. If you are not willing to admit to basic, undeniable truths then there is no point.

I think you are welcome here if you're ready to be honest. But if you and Crawfish and others think a BIG EAST fan forum is the place to promote how great the AAC is, and a place to troll responses with your snide jabs, I think you should move on. Here's a great idea. How about you moderate an AAC discussion board of your very own? Oh wait...you tried that and you found the AAC hoops scene to be less than enthusiastic about the subject matter. I completely understand that.

Here is the thing that I feel- the AAC was already performing stronger than the A10, even without Wichita. Even in the terms you brought-
recruiting-
AAC- just in 2017, they had 10 top 100 classes. A10- only 3(St Louis, VCU, Dayton)
Conference RPI- AAC was 7, A10 was 8 in '17
Tourney bids- AAC had 2(not including Wichita), A10 had 3
Tourney wins- AAC had 1(not including Wichita), A10 had 1

Now, the AAC adds a Wichita program that could easily go deep into March next year. Not only that benefit, but it also allows them to game the schedule to some degree, getting better teams SOS which will help their seeds out, and also allowing some of the lower teams to get pretty gaudy records in conference play- which may allow them into the tourney. Folks here want to act like Wichita won't have any impact on the AAC. How much/what impact do you think Wichita will have?

I'm sorry, but I don't think Temple and UConn are close to the same situation. Temple while they had made the tourney in 6 of the last 7 years before joining the AAC, had won only 2 games in the tourney. UConn had won the tourney 2 years before the breakup, and had a final 4 in 2009(so just in those 2 years that's 10 wins). Temple really wasn't in my mind EVER a national program. Not even in the 80's/90's.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:14 am

Savannah Jay wrote:

What Gumby said...and I will add, again, that if you went away so would all of the discussion of the AAC. You are a fraud who pretends to be a fan of the Big East. And even when you attempted to "come clean," you said you attended NOVA on a Big East board, only to have to explain that it's a community college in Northern Virginia, not that stellar academic institution in Philadelphia that's a member of this conference. It's almost like you are intentionally making yourself look like a feckin fool.

Dude- Someone posted who lives in the DC area that said what I said was a normal thing. Folks here say NOVA all the time and it means Northern Virginia.
stever20

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:39 am

It's amusing to me that HLOH was created from the wasteland that became the old Big East board on the other site. So many respected posters changed sites because of the absolute nonsense and personal attacks that came from fans of what would become the AAC (ECU, Houston, SMU, Memphis and UCF fans were the biggest culprits). 5 years later, yes its been 5 years, and it is clear that there is still a contingent that cannot come to the realization that the C7 won the split - and is better positioned moving forward. The Big East has a better brand, a better reputation, more prestigious basketball schools and a greater fan following than the AAC. The results speak for themselves. Period. When the split happened, many on both sides argued and pleaded their case, but - today - there is enough data and metrics to show how one conference is grouped with the top-6 conferences in basketball, and the other is with that second tier - along with the A-10. At no time, has it ever been argued that the American is a BAD conference; however, it's just grouped with that tier, which happens to be with the A-10.

The other thing that is just so ironic (and funny) to me is that a great number of those passionate and supporting fans of the AAC - those who clearly despised the C7, for some belief that they robbed or prevented them from reaching glory in collegiate athletics - have been banned from that site. Obviously, I won't list their names, but I can easily recall about a dozen frequent posters over the years that a moment where they clearly "lost it" and went off on personal attacks and incoherent arguments that got them the boot.

Bottom line, if there was ever a reputation for a board to be unrealistic, not open to other's opinions, and not encouraging professional debate, it certainly is not here.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby FriarJ » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:08 pm

stever20 wrote:
FriarJ wrote:I'm not sure what we are arguing about here. It's obvious to everyone that the AAC is solidly positioned to be a Top 3 Mid major conference fighting it out with the A10 and the Mountain West.

Fighting it out with the A10 and the MWC?

first off, the MWC is completely and totally out of the running. last 4 years- their KP rating was 10,10,9,9. They've had 7 tourney bids in the last 4 years, including only 1 in the last 2 years. 1 of their 7 bids was a bid thief.

Then by a lot of metrics, the AAC even minus Wichita has been stronger than the A10. Their KP rating in the 4 years was 7,9,7,7. They've had 12 bids in the 4 years, and that doesn't include Wichita going 4/4 in that period.

Folks here want to act like the A10 is so incredible, but it's not. The impact of losing Temple, Butler and Xavier has been really felt.
Look at the actual KP rating last 4 years-
2014- 9.29
2015- 5.61
2016- 5.48
2017- 3.95

You say- same thing could be said about the AAC. Nope
2014- 9.97
2015- 3.42
2016- 8.16
2017- 5.90

With Wichita, they are the unquestioned #7 conference, and in some years, they will beat some P6 conferences. in some years, only those 7 conferences will get multiple teams in the tourney.

All that I was saying here initially is folks here want to talk about the AAC in recruiting, but don't want to use them in any in season comparisons in the winter. How many posts on this thread has Jet said without me posting before that the AAC has zero recruits? So folks want to use the AAC in recruiting comparisons, but in season? Hell no.

You are right, the MWC would be 3rd in this pod of mid-majors But the A10 compares favorably witht he AAC since formation and currently has the lead.

2014* RPI Bids
A10 6 6
AAC 8 4
*Includes Louisville

2015 RPI Bids
A10 7 3
AAC 8 2

2016 RPI Bids
A10 7 3
AAC 8 4

2017 RPI Bids
A10 8 3
AAC 7 2

The AAC Conference average RPI Ranking is 7.75 with an average of 3 Bids
The A10 Conference average RPI Ranking is 7 with an average of 3.75 Bids

The AAC is poised to have a better year this year I think but they are clearly not a stronger mid major than the A10
FriarJ

Postby stever20 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:21 pm

2014 I think would be more than mitigated by UConn winning the National title.

Ken Pom has the AAC ahead of the A10 in 3 of the last 4 years as well. I think it's pretty easy to say 2014 and 2016 the AAC was stronger, and 2017 I think most people in power would take the AAC over the A10. Really only in 2015 was the A10 clearly better than the AAC. 2014 with the Natty you have to give to the AAC and 2016 you have to give the AAC the edge.

Also, the numbers of the AAC don't reflect at all Wichita.

I mean, even look at the 2018 bracket projection. AAC has 3 teams in- with top 5 seeds for all 3 teams. The A10 on the other hand has 2 teams, with 1 being the 3rd from last team in the tourney. Their champion is #11.

I just think there's a VERY realistic shot that we see a clear separation from the AAC to all the other mid-major conferences. The AAC was already last 2 years really better than the A10, and that's without Wichita(which totally takes the MVC out of the conversation). And look at recruiting. This year the AAC has 10 top 100 classes, to only 3 for the A10.
stever20

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:37 am

FriarJ wrote:
You are right, the MWC would be 3rd in this pod of mid-majors But the A10 compares favorably witht he AAC since formation and currently has the lead.

2014* RPI Bids
A10 6 6
AAC 8 4
*Includes Louisville

2015 RPI Bids
A10 7 3
AAC 8 2

2016 RPI Bids
A10 7 3
AAC 8 4

2017 RPI Bids
A10 8 3
AAC 7 2

The AAC Conference average RPI Ranking is 7.75 with an average of 3 Bids
The A10 Conference average RPI Ranking is 7 with an average of 3.75 Bids

The AAC is poised to have a better year this year I think but they are clearly not a stronger mid major than the A10

BOOM!

"****crickets****"

Expect the: "yeah but the AAC didn't have WSU the last 4 years, and, and, and, UCONN has just been really unlucky, and, and, and SMU is is awesome--you'll see, and, and, Cincy is still the 3rd best team in OH, and, and, and Memphis was in the FF not that long ago, and, and, and Temple is the same as it's always been, no drop off there...and, and, and..." It's coming, believe me.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board