The Way-Too-Early 2017-18 Big East Hoops Prediction Thread

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The way too early 2017-18 Big East hoops prediction thre

Postby scoscox » Wed May 10, 2017 12:44 am

SJHooper wrote:If St. John's finishes 8th with arguably the best backcourt in the country and clearly the Big East, it will be a huge disappointment. If SJ finishes 8th, it will be because we have nothing in our frontcourt and they all continue to be awful.

What are the odds the frontcourt improves?
scoscox

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby scoscox » Wed May 10, 2017 12:55 am

Xavier
Nova
PC
Seton Hall
Butler
SJU
Creighton
Marquette
DePaul
Georgetown
scoscox

Postby FriarsForever » Wed May 10, 2017 8:03 am

SJHooper wrote:If St. John's finishes 8th with arguably the best backcourt in the country and clearly the Big East, it will be a huge disappointment. If SJ finishes 8th, it will be because we have nothing in our frontcourt and they all continue to be awful.

That is one HEFTY argument calling two underclassmen, undersized shooting guards the best backcourt in the country. Come on Hooper, take the blood-red shades off. They will be better than they were this year, and Ponds and Lovett are ultra-talented, for sure, but as sophomores, best in the country? Clearly best in the Big East??? These kids play for St. John's not Kentucky. If those are your expectations you are going to have a miserable season as a fan.
FriarsForever

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Wed May 10, 2017 8:04 am

SJHooper wrote:with arguably the best backcourt in the country and clearly the Big East

I'm sorry...what?
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby FriarsForever » Wed May 10, 2017 8:08 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
SJHooper wrote:with arguably the best backcourt in the country and clearly the Big East

I'm sorry...what?

Haha, we both caught this at the same time, with the same exact reaction.
FriarsForever

Postby Edrick » Wed May 10, 2017 9:58 am

Villanova
Xavier
Seton Hall
Marquette
Butler
Providence
Creighton
St Johns
DePaul
Georgetown

6 or 7 NCAA teams again and 1 or 2 NIT.

Pomeroy has the Big East projected 2nd, it may be the strongest year to date.
Edrick

Postby BEXU » Wed May 10, 2017 9:03 pm

If X returns Bluiett ( we'll know soon) they will have the starting 5 on the court from an Elite 8 run plus the best recruiting class in school history (Scruggs may start but if not 1st off the bench) so I don't see Mack's team as 6th in the BE for sure.(sic) I said last year they would give Nova a battle for the C'ship before the Ed/Myles/Tre fiasco's and feel the same about this upcoming season. Anyway, as usual, I hope they do well enough to get back to the Dance and do some damage which is all I really care about. Nobody ever asks me how X did in the Big East. They KNOW what X did in the Dance. Make the Dance and Advance!!!!!
BEXU

Postby JohnW22 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:47 pm

BEXU wrote:If X returns Bluiett ( we'll know soon) they will have the starting 5 on the court from an Elite 8 run plus the best recruiting class in school history (Scruggs may start but if not 1st off the bench) so I don't see Mack's team as 6th in the BE for sure.(sic) I said last year they would give Nova a battle for the C'ship before the Ed/Myles/Tre fiasco's and feel the same about this upcoming season. Anyway, as usual, I hope they do well enough to get back to the Dance and do some damage which is all I really care about. Nobody ever asks me how X did in the Big East. They KNOW what X did in the Dance. Make the Dance and Advance!!!!!

Couldn't agree more. If Bluiett comes back this year it will be something special for Xavier. Starting lineup would most likely be Scruggs, Goodin, Macura, Bluiett, Jones all of which were 4 stars out of high school. The only impact player from the Elite 8 run leaving is Bernard. Xavier's bringing in a top 10 recurring class+ Kerem Kanter from Green Bay. Only problem for me is I'll believe Bluietts back when I see it, until he takes his name out I just don't think he comes back.
XU
JohnW22

Postby Edrick » Thu May 11, 2017 9:02 am

Villanova
Xavier
Marquette
Butler
Providence
Creighton
Seton Hall
St Johns
DePaul
Georgetown

6 or 7 NCAA teams again and 1 or 2 NIT.
Edrick

Postby milksteak » Thu May 11, 2017 9:17 am

St. John's will have one of the best backcourts in the Big East, but THE best? PC, Xavier and Villanova all have better backcourts. Those three teams have Cartwright, Lindsey, Divincenzo, Brunson, Goodin and Macura. Those combinations are damn hard to beat. You could say SJU's backcourt will be 4th, but I think Marquette and Seton Hall could make a pretty good argument for that 4th slot as well.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board