The Way-Too-Early 2017-18 Big East Hoops Prediction Thread

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The Way-Too-Early 2017-18 Big East Hoops Prediction Thre

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:45 pm

Early Big East power rankings: Villanova and Xavier still leading the way – Matt Norlander, CBS Sports – 2 hours ago
Villanova still looks like the best team, but this still could be a six-bid conference

Big East offseason power rankings

Villanova:
Jalen Brunson will guide the Wildcats to another really good season. Omari Spellman enters the lineup and Mikal Bridges is poised for a breakout season.

Xavier: Blueitt may well battle with Brunson for league POY, but Macura is someone to watch, too. Chris Mack is coming off an Elite Eight appearance, and Xavier should make its fifth straight Big Dance.

Providence: The Friars were expected to take a step back last season but still made the NCAAs. With most of the roster back, Ed Cooley's team -- fueled by Cartwright and Bullock -- should have 20 wins by Selection Sunday.

Seton Hall: Another team with a lot of returning talent -- Delgado, Carrington, Desi Rodriguez and Myls Powell -- the Pirates are a great dark horse pick to win this conference.

Butler: Losing Holtmann also meant losing Kyle Young, the highest-rated recruit in the class of 2017. The Bulldogs still have a highly competitive roster, giving Jordan a lot to work with.

Creighton: Foster has the potential to lead the nation in scoring and the Bluejays get a boost from guard Kaleb Joseph, who transferred from Syracuse. Had Patton not gone to the NBA, Creighton would be in the top three.

St. John's: The Johnnies -- who will be led by LoVett and Ponds -- look like they're a year away, but they're going to be a lot of fun.

Marquette: Lots of pieces are gone from a 19-13 team, but the Warriors still have PG Markus Howard. He made 55 percent of his 150 3-pointers last season to lead the nation in percentage beyond the arc.

DePaul: The bottom of is league will be better, evidenced by the Blue Demons ninth, who could win 15 games.

Georgetown: The Hoyas lost most everyone of serious impact (Jessie Govan could be pretty good, though). It's going to be a tough season for Ewing, who needs playmakers.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:14 am

Surprise! Experienced Wichita State tops summer BPI update - ESPN - July 27, 2017
ESPN's college basketball BPI has taken its initial stab at ranking the Division I programs and at the very top of the list is ... Wichita State?

Indeed, with a couple months to go before the season, the mid-major Shockers outrank the usual suspects often found atop these lists.

Digging into the situation, it's apparent why BPI is so fond of Gregg Marshall's squad. Wichita State, despite being a 10-seed in the NCAA tournament in 2017, actually finished the season -- by BPI's measure -- as the 15th-best team in the country. And it did so as a team that hardly played its seniors at all, so the Shockers are bringing almost everyone relevant back. In BPI's mind, that's huge. Returning so many minutes after a strong season is a big reason why BPI considers the Shockers to own the fourth-strongest offense and defense in the country, which helped them edge out the likes of Louisville and Villanova in overall BPI. One factor not considered in preseason BPI 1.0 is transfers, which can have an impact.

Preseason 2017-18 College Basketball Power Index (BPI) - Top 50 Teams

3 - Villanova
15 - Seton Hall
19 - Xavier
22 - Providence
32 - Marquette
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Novachap » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:53 pm

A collective sigh of relief from the Nova faithful. Been a long year for him.

https://www.vuhoops.com/2017/8/1/160814 ... activities
Novachap

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:23 pm

Novachap wrote:A collective sigh of relief from the Nova faithful. Been a long year for him.

https://www.vuhoops.com/2017/8/1/160814 ... activities

#Gamer

Happy for Phil. Bad news for rest of the conference. He is just a very, very solid all around player. Can score, defend, handle the ball. If 100%, he's part of a really tough 3 headed backcourt. Getting antsy for the season to start.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:44 pm

gtmo's annual Creighton Men's Hoops predictions are done. Will be posted on 15 August 17, @ Noon on www.Bluenotes2.com. As is the normal protocol.

In the Dog Days of Summer…git’s Predictions are a cool Summer Breeze.
;)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Novachap » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:18 am

Now GTMO, dont forget to also post your predictions for last year against the actuals too!

Looking forward to the banter again as we get closer to the season.
Novachap

Postby MullinMayhem » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:57 am

Idk if SJ is "a year away". I feel like the constant refrain is always something such as: "a year away", "maybe next year", "bright future", etc. Ponds, LoVett, and Simon are only going to be here 1 year together and that is this coming season. We will have plenty of experience as well. I've always despised the notion that you must wait until all your players are seniors before you can win. That's not true...if the coaches coach well enough and the players develop as they should, this is a clear tourney team. This will be Mullin's 3rd year as head coach...that's enough time to be ready to win. My point is, we almost surely lose LoVett overseas after next season which will certainly be a blow, and who knows about Ponds beyond next year? That's why I'm not waiting for them to win in 2018 when LoVett/Ponds may both leave. I think the X factors will be 1) how well our bigs improve and 2) how much better our defense gets. I think SJ has more talent on paper than Creighton, PC, and Butler. Of course, on paper and reality are two different stories. It will be tough in this conference to eke out a bid, but I fully expect us to get one.
MullinMayhem

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:48 pm

Novachap wrote:Now GTMO, dont forget to also post your predictions for last year against the actuals too!

Looking forward to the banter again as we get closer to the season.

Heh, heh, heh. Though it is not normal protocol to list the old with the new, I considered your request and complied with it.
My predictions are a "labor of Love". There is no competitive or contest notions here.

Aside from the Watson injury, late season bottom jettisoning out, and no wins in the dance. Not bad.
IMO the unlikely getting swept by Marquette was the biggest detriment overall. Win those 2 and my predictions were on target, even with
hell beaking out all over.

enjoy on the 15th.
Last edited by gtmoBlue on Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:50 am

gtmoBlue wrote:gtmo's annual Creighton Men's Hoops predictions are done. Will be posted on 15 August 17, @ Noon on http://www.Bluenotes2.com. As is the normal protocol.

In the Dog Days of Summer…git’s Predictions are a cool Summer Breeze.
;)

Jiffy-pop is sitting next to the stove with a sign: "Do not heat until 8/15!" Always enjoy the Gtmo procrastinations. I am hopeful they are chock-full of your normal, reasoned, level-headed analysis.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board