The Way-Too-Early 2017-18 Big East Hoops Prediction Thread

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The Way-Too-Early 2017-18 Big East Hoops Prediction Thre

Postby jfan » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:48 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:gtmo's annual Creighton Men's Hoops predictions are done. Will be posted on 15 August 17, @ Noon on http://www.Bluenotes2.com. As is the normal protocol.

In the Dog Days of Summer…git’s Predictions are a cool Summer Breeze.
;)

Jiffy-pop is sitting next to the stove with a sign: "Do not heat until 8/15!" Always enjoy the Gtmo procrastinations. I am hopeful they are chock-full of your normal, reasoned, level-headed analysis.
Normal for him! I don't usually share his over the top optimism, but I think that Creighton might be better than most people on this board seem to think. The talent is better top to bottom than most years (Not last year) and our recruiting should start to pay dividends. If we can get the 5 figured out, we could be very good! The BE has a chance to be better than last year, so it might be tough to get into the top three, but I'm cautiously optimistic.
CREIGHTON
jfan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:02 pm

Jiffypop... the stove?

Damn Gumby, you Are old fashioned now, aren't you.

Try Jollytime or 1 of these...

and this...

You still got your '64 Impala SS??
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby stever20 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:15 am

Saw in the college sports madness countdown, St John's is #87 and 8th in the Big East. They were the 1st team out of the NIT. Georgetown and DePaul not in the countdown you would presume.
stever20

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:15 pm

It's 15 August 17...gtmo's annual preseason Creighton Men's Hoops predictions are up.

http://www.bluenotes2.com
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:57 am

gtmoBlue wrote:It's 15 August 17...gtmo's annual preseason Creighton Men's Hoops predictions are up.

http://www.bluenotes2.com

Not surprised that you have your Jays going 13-5 but only good for 3rd place? IMO 13-5 probably wins the league this year. Also a 12 seed in the tourney is often a better spot than an 8 seed. Haven't you been paying attention to Stever posts come tourney time?
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:16 pm

Well I'm taking a moderate stance this season. It is difficult to deny the Nova run these last 4 years (16-2 each year) in conference. Until proven otherwise,
Nova gets the benefit of the doubt as league leader and the team to beat. I wouldn't have it any other way. I see Nova doing their 16-2 or 15-3 bit again this season,
Providence and Cooley are consistent, X is X and likely to be the team to unseat Nova, if any.
Barring injuries it's gotta be: Nova, Xavier, then flux sets in...who's hot, who has the great chemistry, who's lucky, and so forth.

Creighton can compete and win this year, they just aren't quite as talented as last years team. With balanced play, a bit of defensive effort, and good team chemistry,
this Jays team can be in the mix. Can't let down against the DePauls or Marquettes...win the games you're s'posed to win, then hustle like hell to split with the top tier
and let the chips fall. Jays won't be all-conf in the pivot or at the PF, but effective enough to keep opposing teams honest. I got some faith in Manny and Jacob.

I didn't get into the weeds on conference series - sweeps, got sweeped, splits, etc. Didn't do the awards either. Those are nice but not essential for my homer picks.

LE: Thanks Holyland and BJU members for the support over on Bluenotes. A recordsetting 1+ day, over 700 hits in 24 hrs.
I appreciate it. Thanks
, gtmo

Gumby, you get a microwave yet?

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Novachap » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:05 pm

Good job GTMO!

I agree, the numbers last year would have been more in line prior to the watson injury.

Gonna be a heck of a year. I do think the jays are going to be very good.... great back court.

Providence, xavier, seton hall and butler will all be very, very good. Then Marquette, st John's.... this league will be brutal this year.

I think nova will be there again this year, but do not see just 2 losses. Too many good teams.
Novachap

Postby MullinMayhem » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:56 am

One related note and two random ones:

1) SJ now has the players. There is legit experience. Assuming the team is relatively healthy, this team will go as the coaching goes. This is the first season we can reasonably expect a tourney berth. With Lovett likely going pro after this year and maybe even Ponds, the time is now. This is a team that has not outperformed expectations since 2011...gotta be due soon right?

2) Checked the Duke V. SJ tickets and this game will definitely be sold out. Mid level tickets already going for $150+. I will gladly let StubHub take my money!

3) I was at the subway series game last night in left field and witnessed Judge's homer or should I say missile? As a Mets fan, all you can do is laugh and tip your cap...the guy is not human.
MullinMayhem

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:25 pm

Sports Illustrated's Big East power rankings...

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... seton-hall

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby MullinMayhem » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:40 am

Can't really take this seriously given the fact that they failed to mention Simon, a 5* recruit transfer from AZ who is a 6'5 guard coming in. They also didn't mention Marvin Clark, the 6'7 Michigan St. big transfer who can help tremendously on the boards and on defense. If everything goes right, this is a team that can finish #3 in conference which I believe is their ceiling. Most realistic is probably finishing 5th but IMO 7th would be a failure unless it meant a tourney bid. If Ponds and Lovett were that good offensively as freshman, wouldn't you expect them to be even better with a full year under their belts? SJ has lost the benefit of the doubt from the college hoops world...time to overachieve and show that we actually have top 25-30 level talent, because we do. We will go as far as our coaches take us. This season will tell us a lot about Mullin as a coach. Years 1 and 2 we didn't have the horses but this year we absolutely do. Between Simon, Ponds, and LoVett plus Owens, Clark, Ahmed, etc. there is more than enough experience and talent to win.
MullinMayhem

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board