The Way-Too-Early 2017-18 Big East Hoops Prediction Thread

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The way too early 2017-18 Big East hoops prediction thre

Postby Irishdawg » Fri May 12, 2017 5:59 am

JohnW22 wrote:Is the plan for Baldwin to play on or off the ball? Right now who would be the ideal starting lineup for Butler? Been trying to figure it out but not sure what Butler fans think.

My guess, based purely on speculation is that this will eventually be the starting lineup assuming Thompson is the defender that he's been touted as and Jorgensen hasn't made some huge improvement during his transfer year off the court:

Thompson
Baldwin
Martin
Young
Wideman

I'd also guess this won't be the starting lineup at the beginning of the year since Holtmann likes to go with guys who know the defensive schemes and initially that won't be the freshmen, but there are a ton of variables with all the youth on this team.

I don't see Butler finishing top 4 as many have projected, but assuming they can keep the right guys around and follow up last year's recruiting class with another good one, they'll be in really good shape going forward.
Irishdawg

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri May 12, 2017 4:09 pm

How dare you, Irishdawg, grossly underestimate the highly lauded Bulldogs of Butler. How dare you. That's my job damnit...stay in your lane. LOL
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby SJHooper » Sun May 14, 2017 10:49 am

Wow some people really have no idea regarding the SJ backcourt. Ponds and LoVett alone are already easily the best scoring guard duo in the conference...the only better freshmen guard tandem was Kentucky's nationally. Now add 5 star Simon to that tandem, a huge guard who will cause havoc. There's no debate that offensively the SJ guards are clearly the most talented but it's fair to question their defense at this point.
SJHooper

Postby bluejayfan00 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:03 pm

1. Villanova
2. Xavier
3. Creighton
4.Butler
5. Providence
6. Marquette
7. Seton Hall
8. St. Johns
9. Georgetown
10. DePaul
bluejayfan00

Postby BoarCommaThe » Tue May 16, 2017 1:33 pm

1. Villanova
2. Xavier
3. Providence
4. Butler
5. Marquette
6. Creighton
7. Seton Hall
8. St John's
9. Georgetown
10. DePaul
BoarCommaThe

Postby sciencejay » Tue May 16, 2017 1:56 pm

SJHooper wrote:Wow some people really have no idea regarding the SJ backcourt. Ponds and LoVett alone are already easily the best scoring guard duo in the conference...the only better freshmen guard tandem was Kentucky's nationally. Now add 5 star Simon to that tandem, a huge guard who will cause havoc. There's no debate that offensively the SJ guards are clearly the most talented but it's fair to question their defense at this point.

SJ: it's not that people have no idea about Ponds and Lovett. But back courts (and bigs and wings) are often measured through the lens of perceived team success. SJ doesn't rank super high in that category--they certainly have the potential to be a solid team in the conference this year. Those two guards can really score, and they may have solid pro prospects (NBA or otherwise), but you need your ball handlers to run an offense and keep all of their team mates involved. Despite the points scored, from what I saw last year, those two took >75% of SJ's shots overall and probably >80-85% of first shots in a possession. Those two could shoot well and dominate a game (or at least keep SJ in a game), but if they weren't shooting well, they shot the whole team right out of a game. And neither of them really seemed to play great defense. Nova/Butler/X's guards did a great job getting their own but also making every guy on the court a scoring threat. That's team management. Those are the things I think of when deciding who has the best back court. Which guards give their team the best chance of success night in and night out?

Think of Archidiacono: what other national title contender does he start for--or even get significant minutes? Yet he was the absolute best point guard for JW's system and the clear leader of a national championship team. Truly incredible. Almost no pro potential.
sciencejay

Postby bluejayfan00 » Tue May 16, 2017 2:43 pm

I may be biased, but I'm not taking Ponds and Lovett over Foster and Khryi Thomas.
bluejayfan00

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue May 16, 2017 3:44 pm

bluejayfan00 wrote:I may be biased, but I'm not taking Ponds and Lovett over Foster and Khryi Thomas.

I love Ponds especially but if comparing he and Lovett to those two, I'll take the Jays. Not sure that's a true backcourt though. Is Thomas a true PG or are they both off guards? I really like KT's full package. Really nice player and offensively Foster can light it up as much as Ponds can or more.

I think I'd take Cartwright and Diallo and Brunson / Booth over the SJU backcourt when considering both sides of the court. But a good debate...
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby scoscox » Tue May 16, 2017 9:05 pm

You should distinguish between best two lead guards and best guard duo
scoscox

Postby SJHooper » Wed May 17, 2017 10:10 am

Will be interesting to see what Simon does and how he affects the dynamic duo of Ponds and LoVett. FWIW I was at the midnight madness event and I saw Simon playing. He is fast and powerful...he had some of the most acrobatic dunks. Looks like the kid has springs for legs. Hopefully he is more of a driving guard getting to the hoop with his great size rather than pulling up for a 3. It will definitely be a handful for any opponent trying to contain a lineup including all 3 of them at the same time. I think Ponds, LoVett, Simon, Ahmed, and Owens is a solid lineup. Simon is a big guard at 6'5 I believe, Ahmed/Clark is 6'7, and Owens is 6'10. Plus Ponds is a good rebounder for a guard.
SJHooper

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board