The AAAAAAAC and Advanced Marketing (or Self-Kidding)

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The AAAAAAAC and Advanced Marketing (or Self-Kidding)

Postby paulxu » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:31 am

It would seem with the Big 10 next year, and the ACC the following, going to 20 game conference schedules, that some pressure might be there for the BE to add a team and preserve the round robin.
Having the Big 10 play conference games in December so they can wrap up and use the Gardens has been strange.
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:37 am

paulxu wrote:It would seem with the Big 10 next year, and the ACC the following, going to 20 game conference schedules, that some pressure might be there for the BE to add a team and preserve the round robin.
Having the Big 10 play conference games in December so they can wrap up and use the Gardens has been strange.

It's funny- I think the December conference games have backfired for them to some degree. Wisconsin and Iowa both are 4-6 right now. Partially due to having 1 and 2 conference losses respectfully.
stever20

Postby kayako » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:29 am

paulxu wrote:It would seem with the Big 10 next year, and the ACC the following, going to 20 game conference schedules, that some pressure might be there for the BE to add a team and preserve the round robin.

1. The round robin is a luxury that shouldn't limit the conference size to 11 teams max.

2. From Nova's perspective, a 20 game conference schedule would kill all scheduling flexibility. Imagine if this happened next season:

20 conference games
4 exempt tournament games
4 Big 5
@Kansas
Connecticut at MSG

That's already 30 out of 31 games allowed. Only 2 OOC games at home, potentially 3. I suppose it's our problem that we're stuck having to play a ridiculous big 5 arrangement, but as long as Jay Wright desires to maintain the status quo, I expect Nova to be against 20 game conference schedule.
supernova
kayako

Postby paulxu » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:03 pm

Can't 2 of your exempt tournament games be at home?
And if UConn was the 11th member you wouldn't schedule them OOC.
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu

Postby stever20 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:13 pm

paulxu wrote:Can't 2 of your exempt tournament games be at home?
And if UConn was the 11th member you wouldn't schedule them OOC.

that depends on the tournament. looking for 2018, they're in Advocare in Orlando, so that's 3 neutral games. they could get 1 home date out of that.

So if they had that-
20 conference games
4 exempt tournament games- 1 home, 3 neutral
4 big 5- 2 home, 2 away
@ Kansas

so right there are 29 games with only 13 home games, 13 away, and 3 neutral. You'd then add in a Gavitt Games game and that's 30 games accounted for, with only 14 home games. 1 buy game and that's 15(which is what they had last year).
stever20

Postby Westbrook#36 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:34 pm

His point still stands and is completely valid, despite the UConn brain fart. With a 20 game conference schedule, and after 4 exempt tourney games, plus 4 big5 games, that would leave Nova only 3 games left to play with. Not ideal. If the BE goes to a 20 game schedule, the current round robin big5 set-up is pretty much dead. Not that I or most Nova fans would care, but apparently Jay does.

Also I'm pretty sure only one exempt tourney game is usually at home, unless your talking preseason NIT or maybe one or two others, the vast majority you get one home game before going to the main destination.
Westbrook#36

Postby X-man » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:41 pm

stever20 wrote:

It's funny- I think the December conference games have backfired for them to some degree. Wisconsin and Iowa both are 4-6 right now. Partially due to having 1 and 2 conference losses respectfully.

Ah, the stever spin again. And surprise, surprise...stever thinks that the Big East OOC record isn't as good as it looks! I am shocked, just shocked, at stever's neg-head attitude on the Big East!
Xavier will surprise. Never count them out of the Dance.
X-man

Postby kayako » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:58 pm

I wasn't thinking specifically uconn as the 11th member, but just using next year's schedule as a template.

But yeah, Stever's right about 3 neutral + 1 campus game for the exempt tourney, at least most of the good tournaments look like they're 3 + 1. My mistake.

There is no chance in hell Nova wishes to have 28 games locked up every single season. If more conferences follow B1G and ACC's 20 conference game schedule, yeah we'll have to assess our options then, but I think it's still too early to be pressured into the situation atm.
supernova
kayako

Postby X-man » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:36 am

More bizarre-world spin from the AAAAAAAAAACCC hack, stever, this from the other Big East board:

"RE: OOC

to me most impressive for the Big East has been the performance vs the 7 multi bid conferences that will get almost every single at large spot.... going into last week 35/36 projected...
#1 ACC 28-17
#2 Big East 21-14
#3 Big 12 18-13
#4 AAC 16-16
#5 SEC 18-22
#6 Pac 12 13-19
#7 Big Ten 17-30
(oh and before folks complain about the AAC being included, know that if you take the AAC out, the Big East becomes #3 behind the Big 12).

The problem that the Big East has though IMO is that the teams in the 5-8 range aren't set up for tourney possibilities. Only 5 teams right now could finish 9-9 in conference play and feel safe about getting in the tourney- Nova, Xavier, Seton Hall, Creighton, and Butler. St John's depends on who they beat. Providence and Marquette aren't likely at all. And 8-10 you can take out Creighton and Butler as well. (and Georgetown really needs at least 10 or 11 wins to get in with their OOC schedule). This year really looks like it'll be better record wise for the conference, fewer bids, but better bids in the tourney
. "

I'll say this. the dude is consistent....in his love of the AAAAAAACCC and his pretense of being a fan of the Big East.
Xavier will surprise. Never count them out of the Dance.
X-man

Postby ecasadoSBU » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:40 am

X-man wrote:More bizarre-world spin from the AAAAAAAAAACCC hack, stever, this from the other Big East board:

"RE: OOC

to me most impressive for the Big East has been the performance vs the 7 multi bid conferences that will get almost every single at large spot.... going into last week 35/36 projected...
#1 ACC 28-17
#2 Big East 21-14
#3 Big 12 18-13
#4 AAC 16-16
#5 SEC 18-22
#6 Pac 12 13-19
#7 Big Ten 17-30
(oh and before folks complain about the AAC being included, know that if you take the AAC out, the Big East becomes #3 behind the Big 12).

The problem that the Big East has though IMO is that the teams in the 5-8 range aren't set up for tourney possibilities. Only 5 teams right now could finish 9-9 in conference play and feel safe about getting in the tourney- Nova, Xavier, Seton Hall, Creighton, and Butler. St John's depends on who they beat. Providence and Marquette aren't likely at all. And 8-10 you can take out Creighton and Butler as well. (and Georgetown really needs at least 10 or 11 wins to get in with their OOC schedule). This year really looks like it'll be better record wise for the conference, fewer bids, but better bids in the tourney
. "

I'll say this. the dude is consistent....in his love of the AAAAAAACCC and his pretense of being a fan of the Big East.

I honestly don't understand this war you guys have against the AAC and vice versa. The AAC is in the bottom tier of the Major Conferences right below the PAC-12. That's ok and good for them and also for CBB. What's the biggie? Everyone knows there is plenty of separation between the BIGE/B12/ACC/SEC and the B1G/PAC12/AAC.

The Big East is not competing against the AAC. The Big East is competing against B12/ACC so why this endless rivalry and trash talking?
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board