The AAAAAAAC and Advanced Marketing (or Self-Kidding)

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The AAAAAAAC and Advanced Marketing (or Self-Kidding)

Postby Xudash » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:06 pm

Xavier4036 wrote:Stever I didn't read a thing you wrote.

What I would like to know is why a claim you are a Georgetown and Big East fan yet write paragraphs upon paragraphs talking about the American?

The American sucks. They get 2 or 3 teams in the tournament each year. They have nothing to do with the Big East. The Big East is a consistently a Top 3 conference in the country.

Your team just got a new coach, a Hall of Famer no less. And you are spending your time talking about the AAC non-stop. The AAC has very little to no effect on the Big East. This is a Big East message board.

My exact same thoughts.

Why would any true Big East fan put that much effort into defending that conference? Oh, that's right, they wouldn't.

This is a BE board. Why is this idiot still allowed to post here? He's become a punching bag for this board. That really doesn't seem to add to the dialogue.
XAVIER
Xudash

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:39 pm

The problem with adding Wichita State's past accomplishments, under a different conference to the American, is it opens up - for argument's sake, an endless and non-stop cycle of cherry picking supportive facts in order to reach the defended conclusion. Under that same guise, Louisville's national championship-winning season in 2013 (under the Big East brand and banner) should then be applied to the ACC (which it isn't, nor ever will). The VCU Rams, while reaching a Final Four, did not do so in the A-10. Butler's two national championship-runner up seasons occurred in the Horizon, but you don't see anyone one here proclaiming that they did that while as a member of the Big East.

I'll go back to what I usually say in my viewpoint against the AAC. What has happened, happened. No one can rewrite history. You are what your record says you are. Anyone can argue that it could have gone differently, for whatever reason. However, no one can retroactively change the past and argue that it should change perception on the present and future.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby stever20 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:09 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:The problem with adding Wichita State's past accomplishments, under a different conference to the American, is it opens up - for argument's sake, an endless and non-stop cycle of cherry picking supportive facts in order to reach the defended conclusion. Under that same guise, Louisville's national championship-winning season in 2013 (under the Big East brand and banner) should then be applied to the ACC (which it isn't, nor ever will). The VCU Rams, while reaching a Final Four, did not do so in the A-10. Butler's two national championship-runner up seasons occurred in the Horizon, but you don't see anyone one here proclaiming that they did that while as a member of the Big East.

I'll go back to what I usually say in my viewpoint against the AAC. What has happened, happened. No one can rewrite history. You are what your record says you are. Anyone can argue that it could have gone differently, for whatever reason. However, no one can retroactively change the past and argue that it should change perception on the present and future.

Frankly when you are looking at the current conferences, you have to look at the teams currently in the conference. In 2014, Louisville winning the National championship season from Big East in 2013 meant NOTHING for the Big East. What Syracuse and Louisville had done in recent years in the Big East was meaningless to the Big East in 2014. But what Butler, Creighton, and Xavier had done in the A10, MVC, and Horizon in recent years did mean something when you were projecting what the Big East would look like for the 2014 season. Just like this upcoming year. What you are saying is that how Wichita has done recently will indicate what the MVC will be like in 2018. How reasonable is that? If I'm looking at the MVC for 2017-18 season, what Valpo has done means 100% more than what Wichita has done. And that's fair. What you are saying is fine, for tourney units. But not for projecting future performance. HUGE difference there.

And even w/o Wichita look at the Ken Pom Numbers. AAC was in the last 2 years at 7.03. A10 was at 4.72. So even w/o Wichita, the AAC was up by 2.31 points. That's a huge gap. And that gap will get a lot larger with Wichita added next season.
stever20

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:20 pm

stever20 wrote:
GoldenWarrior11 wrote:The problem with adding Wichita State's past accomplishments, under a different conference to the American, is it opens up - for argument's sake, an endless and non-stop cycle of cherry picking supportive facts in order to reach the defended conclusion. Under that same guise, Louisville's national championship-winning season in 2013 (under the Big East brand and banner) should then be applied to the ACC (which it isn't, nor ever will). The VCU Rams, while reaching a Final Four, did not do so in the A-10. Butler's two national championship-runner up seasons occurred in the Horizon, but you don't see anyone one here proclaiming that they did that while as a member of the Big East.

Frankly when you are looking at the current conferences, you have to look at the teams currently in the conference. In 2014, Louisville winning the National championship season from Big East in 2013 meant NOTHING for the Big East. What Syracuse and Louisville had done in recent years in the Big East was meaningless to the Big East in 2014. But what Butler, Creighton, and Xavier had done in the A10, MVC, and Horizon in recent years did mean something when you were projecting what the Big East would look like for the 2014 season. Just like this upcoming year. What you are saying is that how Wichita has done recently will indicate what the MVC will be like in 2018. How reasonable is that? If I'm looking at the MVC for 2017-18 season, what Valpo has done means 100% more than what Wichita has done. And that's fair. What you are saying is fine, for tourney units. But not for projecting future performance. HUGE difference there.

And even w/o Wichita look at the Ken Pom Numbers. AAC was in the last 2 years at 7.03. A10 was at 4.72. So even w/o Wichita, the AAC was up by 2.31 points. That's a huge gap. And that gap will get a lot larger with Wichita added next season.

The thing is, you can't discount a school's conference when accounting for their success. Georgetown, Marquette and UCONN were all arguably top 10 (and easily top 25) programs in the OBE. None of them will be featured in the top 25 this coming season. Wichita St. did great in a bad conference, lets see how they do against stiffer competition.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby stever20 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:39 pm

DudeAnon wrote:The thing is, you can't discount a school's conference when accounting for their success. Georgetown, Marquette and UCONN were all arguably top 10 (and easily top 25) programs in the OBE. None of them will be featured in the top 25 this coming season. Wichita St. did great in a bad conference, lets see how they do against stiffer competition.

I can see it, if they hadn't done anything nationally. But Wichita did well for themselves OOC as well, and also in the tourney(5 tourney wins just last 3 years)- and a final 4 appearance 5 years ago.

What you are saying is exactly what folks were saying about Butler, Creighton, and Xavier 4 years ago. And how did that turn out?

Also, the impact of Wichita with the AAC isn't just Wichita joining. It means the league will be able to rig the schedule to some degree. Top 2 teams probably won't see any of the bottom 4 teams twice. That improvement in the SOS will be noticeable. So say this upcoming year Georgetown and DePaul are both sub 200(hope not but just for discussion). AAC has like last year with 3 sub 200 teams. The AAC top teams would only have 3 games vs sub 200 teams. Big East teams would have 4 games. That can be a big difference.
stever20

Postby Xavier4036 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:21 pm

Stever, still not reading a thing you are writing. Please respond to question below:

Stever I didn't read a thing you wrote.

What I would like to know is why a claim you are a Georgetown and Big East fan yet write paragraphs upon paragraphs talking about the American?

The American sucks. They get 2 or 3 teams in the tournament each year. They have nothing to do with the Big East. The Big East is a consistently a Top 3 conference in the country.

Your team just got a new coach, a Hall of Famer no less. And you are spending your time talking about the AAC non-stop. The AAC has very little to no effect on the Big East. This is a Big East message board.
Xavier4036

Postby Savannah Jay » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:51 pm

Xavier4036 wrote:Stever, still not reading a thing you are writing. Please respond to question below:

He'll be back in a minute. He ran upstairs to see what Mom's cooking for dinner.
Savannah Jay

Postby RedStorm » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:58 pm

Oh Wichita St will easily be the best team in that shit conference for as long as Gregg Marshall is there. Which should be no more than a few years tops. When he leaves the Shockers will fade away and the AAC will still be no more than the best among midmajors.

In fact, Ohio St should make Marshall their #1 priority. Shouldn't waste their time chasing Donovan or Stevens. Could be a situation like with Stevens and Butler, where he gets them to the bigger conference then bolts before ever actually coaching there. The BE got lucky that Butler hired another great coach and has been an asset. Wonder if the AAC could/would kick Wichita out if Marshall left right now.
RedStorm

Postby EMT » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:19 pm

RedStorm wrote:Oh Wichita St will easily be the best team in that shit conference for as long as Gregg Marshall is there. Which should be no more than a few years tops. When he leaves the Shockers will fade away and the AAC will still be no more than the best among midmajors.

In fact, Ohio St should make Marshall their #1 priority. Shouldn't waste their time chasing Donovan or Stevens. Could be a situation like with Stevens and Butler, where he gets them to the bigger conference then bolts before ever actually coaching there. The BE got lucky that Butler hired another great coach and has been an asset. Wonder if the AAC could/would kick Wichita out if Marshall left right now.

Charles Koch reportedly pays a good chunk of Marshall's salary.... I'm sure at this point he would match the offer.
EMT

Postby jaxalum » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:42 pm

Savannah Jay wrote:
Xavier4036 wrote:Stever, still not reading a thing you are writing. Please respond to question below:

He'll be back in a minute. He ran upstairs to see what Mom's cooking for dinner.

I'm so sick and tired of reading about the AAC in some way, shape, or form, on almost every thread on this board. Whether it's the constant data dumping, cherry picked information, out of context presented material, ALL to justify, defend, one up his beloved AAC, which NO ONE CARES ABOUT, IS A WASTE OF ALL OUR TIME.

I ask Real Big East fans. Just so we can finally get it out there who this STEVER character is. No one reply, ask, rebut......ignore EVERYTHING he writes unitl he answers a few questions TRUTHFULLY.

1. Where did you go to school? The "I'm a Georgetown fan facade" we all know is fake. So where, if anywhere did you attend college?

2. Why are 80% of your posts related to the defense, justification, glorification, and overall greatness (in your mind) of the AAC (many times AT THE EXPENSE OF THE BIG EAST) on a Big East board when NO ONE ON THIS BOARD GIVES A RATS DICK about that conference?

3. FOR THE MODERATOR: Could you check if Crawfishbucket is Stevers doppleganger/same ISP/or any of his other alias's. Thanks

4. Here's a test I would love the Moderator to enforce. Suspend him and ALL his alias's the moment he brings up anything to do with the AAC.

Stever, people don't like phonies, being played, being lied to constantly, especially when you can be a weasel about it behind the warm anonymity of the Internet. I GUARANTEE that if you wrote a "come to Jesus" post where you were completely truthful, basically telling us all what we already know, but being specific, answering the above questions, or any other questions someone might have for you. The amount of respect you would gain on this board would be a game changer. Do you have the balls to do it?
Xavier
jaxalum

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board