The AAAAAAAC and Advanced Marketing (or Self-Kidding)

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The AAAAAAAC and Advanced Marketing (or Self-Kidding)

Postby Xudash » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:31 pm

notkirkcameron wrote:
Xudash wrote:The music in the last football realignment had to stop for a few teams. It certainly stopped cold for Connecticut and Cincinnati.

This has to be a brutal situation for the athletic departments of those schools and for their fans.

The equally tragic and comical aspect of this is how some of their fans are reacting to the current reality. By any logical person's conclusion, barely getting past HC can only be characterized as a catastrophe.

It just seems as though it is going to be increasingly difficult to tread water for as long as they will need to tread it until the next round of realignment, whatever that becomes, takes place.

It's worth noting that in the last decade and a half of realignment, only three schools successfully moved from a "Non-Power 5" football conference to a "Power 5" Football Conference.

1.) Louisville from Conference USA to the ACC.
2.) TCU from Conference USA to the Big 12.
3.) Utah from the Mountain West to the Pac-12.

That's it. All the other realignment moves in power football conferences were the old six BCS conferences trading amongst themselves.

Miami from Big East to ACC
Boston College from Big East to ACC
Virginia Tech from Big East to ACC
Pittsburgh from Big East to ACC
Syracuse from Big East to ACC
Rutgers from Big East to Big Ten
West Virginia from Big East to Big 12
Maryland from ACC to Big Ten
Nebraska from Big 12 to Big Ten
Colorado from Big 12 to Pac-12
Texas A&M from Big 12 to SEC
Missouri from Big 12 to SEC

Baylor? Which, at least for now, may be heading back into the toilet, when it comes to on-field performance. But great point otherwise.
XAVIER
Xudash

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby FenwayFriar » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:52 pm

Stever, you may want to block your eyes on this one.

Saw this on Twitter and started cracking up. It's apparent that the Big East Conference DOES NOT think there are 7 power conferences in college basketball and that the AAC is a mid-major. Stu Jackson, the Senior Associate Commissioner of Men's Basketball of the Big East, replied to a tweet/article by CBS Sports college basketball writer Matt Norlander throwing some serious shade at the AAAAAC.

Norlander's tweet stated "The Major 7 conferences have now all released their in-league schedules. Here are the top 5 games in each league." Ten minutes later, Stu Jackson replied, "Matt are you choosing to label the AAC as a 'top 7' conference because of the Wichita State addition? They were a two bid conference last yr" (tweet links are below). It's no surprise the conference feels this way but I thought pretty shocking/telling that a senior official from the conference would come out and say this.

Norlander's tweet: https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/910218632206147585

Jackson's tweet: https://twitter.com/StuJackson32/status/910220971143024640

Norlander's article: https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/top-five-conference-games-in-each-major-college-basketball-league-this-season/
FenwayFriar

Postby Omaha1 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:38 am

Did he delete his tweet?
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby stever20 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:38 am

And Norlander responded...

Somewhat. WSU's addition (significant), plus the fact there is a clear line of delineation in multiple metrics b/w top 7 vs. other confs.
stever20

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:41 am

Omaha1 wrote:Did he delete his tweet?

Nope, still there lol

https://twitter.com/StuJackson32/status ... 1143024640
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:58 am

Brett McMurphy on AAC/P6:

Give me three minutes for this week's edition of McMurphy's Law:
I will cut to the chase: the American Athletic Conference is not a power conference. Despite an aggressive Power 6 marketing campaign, #AmericanPow6r hashtags and “P6” plastered on its first-down markers, the American will never be a power league.
I’m not anti-American, I’m a realist. And I don’t hate the AAC or the Group of 5 conferences. I respect Commissioner Mike Aresco a great deal. The league has some of the nation’s best coaches and players. But the AAC a power conference? Nope. There’s a better chance of Notre Dame giving up its football independence today to join the AAC.
I know about the league’s on-field success. Last week, Memphis upset UCLA and USF dominated Illinois. In fact, since 2015, the AAC has played 52 contests against Power 5 leagues. They were the underdog in 42 of those games, but still managed a respectable 21-31 record vs. the Power 5.
The American has proven it can beat anybody – and lose to anybody – as evidenced by its recent 1-8 bowl record vs. other Group of 5 schools. The harsh reality for the AAC – along with Conference USA, Mid-American, Mountain West and Sun Belt – is it is not a power league. Just because you can (occasionally) beat ‘em, you can’t join ‘em.
The on-field results have no impact on what schools have the power. Some deserve to be in a power conference while others may not but were fortunate to wake up with a winning lottery ticket under their pillow (good morning, Rutgers). Yet, there is a clear separation between the Power 5 conferences and the Group of 5. How’s that old junior high school cheer go? “Watermelon, watermelon, watermelon rind! Look at the scoreboard, see who’s behind!”
Check out this scoreboard tally: the revenue from last year’s College Football Playoff.
Big Ten $141 million; $10 million per school
Pac-12 $105 million; $8.75 million per school
SEC $105 million; $7.5 million per school
Big 12 $97 million; $9.7 million per school
ACC $92 million; $6.6 million per school
MAC $19.1 million; $1.89 million per school
Sun Belt $16.7 million; $1.5 million per school
AAC $16.7 million; $1.39 million per school
MWC $16.7 million; $1.39 million per school
C-USA $16.7 million; $1.28 million per school
And this financial disparity - voted on and approved by all 10 conferences - will continue exactly like above for at least the next nine years – the remainder of the CFB Playoff contract.
The TV revenue is just as lopsided. In 2013, the American signed a seven-year media rights deal with ESPN. Add in its basketball contract and the league averages about $20 million per year. The American's entire annual TV package is $11 million less than what every Big Ten "school" will earn.
Before the season Aresco said they “want to be accepted eventually as an autonomy Power 6 conference because we believe we are already a Power 6 conference.” Believing you’re a power conference doesn’t make you a power conference. It’s the same as boasting about your top-four finish at the Olympics. Congrats, but only the top three received medals.
Whether you are college football’s sixth-best or 10th-best conference, it doesn’t matter. It's the same. You are not in the Power 5.
Not too long ago there were six automatic qualifying conferences, but then the Big East was gutted and only five power leagues remained. Maybe in the future, a Power 5 league is raided and we are left with only a Fab Four. Who knows? But there will never again be six power leagues. The Power 5 conferences have made certain of that, having already blocked the Group of 5’s access to the Rose, Sugar and Orange bowls.
Unfortunately for the Group of 5 leagues, a slight twist on a Ricky Bobby quote sums up their fate: “If you ain’t a Power 5, you’re last.”

So what is the Group of 5’s options? Check back with me next week for one radical possibility.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby NJRedman » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:28 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Brett McMurphy on AAC/P6:

Give me three minutes for this week's edition of McMurphy's Law:
I will cut to the chase: the American Athletic Conference is not a power conference. Despite an aggressive Power 6 marketing campaign, #AmericanPow6r hashtags and “P6” plastered on its first-down markers, the American will never be a power league.
I’m not anti-American, I’m a realist. And I don’t hate the AAC or the Group of 5 conferences. I respect Commissioner Mike Aresco a great deal. The league has some of the nation’s best coaches and players. But the AAC a power conference? Nope. There’s a better chance of Notre Dame giving up its football independence today to join the AAC.
I know about the league’s on-field success. Last week, Memphis upset UCLA and USF dominated Illinois. In fact, since 2015, the AAC has played 52 contests against Power 5 leagues. They were the underdog in 42 of those games, but still managed a respectable 21-31 record vs. the Power 5.
The American has proven it can beat anybody – and lose to anybody – as evidenced by its recent 1-8 bowl record vs. other Group of 5 schools. The harsh reality for the AAC – along with Conference USA, Mid-American, Mountain West and Sun Belt – is it is not a power league. Just because you can (occasionally) beat ‘em, you can’t join ‘em.
The on-field results have no impact on what schools have the power. Some deserve to be in a power conference while others may not but were fortunate to wake up with a winning lottery ticket under their pillow (good morning, Rutgers). Yet, there is a clear separation between the Power 5 conferences and the Group of 5. How’s that old junior high school cheer go? “Watermelon, watermelon, watermelon rind! Look at the scoreboard, see who’s behind!”
Check out this scoreboard tally: the revenue from last year’s College Football Playoff.
Big Ten $141 million; $10 million per school
Pac-12 $105 million; $8.75 million per school
SEC $105 million; $7.5 million per school
Big 12 $97 million; $9.7 million per school
ACC $92 million; $6.6 million per school
MAC $19.1 million; $1.89 million per school
Sun Belt $16.7 million; $1.5 million per school
AAC $16.7 million; $1.39 million per school
MWC $16.7 million; $1.39 million per school
C-USA $16.7 million; $1.28 million per school
And this financial disparity - voted on and approved by all 10 conferences - will continue exactly like above for at least the next nine years – the remainder of the CFB Playoff contract.
The TV revenue is just as lopsided. In 2013, the American signed a seven-year media rights deal with ESPN. Add in its basketball contract and the league averages about $20 million per year. The American's entire annual TV package is $11 million less than what every Big Ten "school" will earn.
Before the season Aresco said they “want to be accepted eventually as an autonomy Power 6 conference because we believe we are already a Power 6 conference.” Believing you’re a power conference doesn’t make you a power conference. It’s the same as boasting about your top-four finish at the Olympics. Congrats, but only the top three received medals.
Whether you are college football’s sixth-best or 10th-best conference, it doesn’t matter. It's the same. You are not in the Power 5.
Not too long ago there were six automatic qualifying conferences, but then the Big East was gutted and only five power leagues remained. Maybe in the future, a Power 5 league is raided and we are left with only a Fab Four. Who knows? But there will never again be six power leagues. The Power 5 conferences have made certain of that, having already blocked the Group of 5’s access to the Rose, Sugar and Orange bowls.
Unfortunately for the Group of 5 leagues, a slight twist on a Ricky Bobby quote sums up their fate: “If you ain’t a Power 5, you’re last.”

So what is the Group of 5’s options? Check back with me next week for one radical possibility.

Create their own playoff. Saved you guys a weeks wait.
NJRedman

Postby LMS » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:11 pm

I laugh knowing that Wichita State just signed up to join this mess. If Cincinnati or UConn ever get out, the shockers are chained to this dreg of a conference and will sink with it to the abyss.
LMS

Postby stever20 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:27 pm

LMS wrote:I laugh knowing that Wichita State just signed up to join this mess. If Cincinnati or UConn ever get out, the shockers are chained to this dreg of a conference and will sink with it to the abyss.

you do understand that the AAC is a massive upgrade from the MVC. I mean- the MVC's top team this year is #100 and a 15 seed. Even if one of those 2 teams left, it's still a massive upgrade. The AAC will get 3-4 teams in almost certainly this season. MVC got 1 last year.
stever20

Postby Xudash » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:53 pm

The only options that matter are those that enable the AAC to pump more funding into its coffers. Good luck with that.

Everything else is form over substance, as in declaring itself a Power 6 conference.
XAVIER
Xudash

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board