The AAAAAAAC and Advanced Marketing (or Self-Kidding)

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The AAAAAAAC and Advanced Marketing (or Self-Kidding)

Postby CrawfishBucket » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:05 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
CrawfishBucket wrote:
Like everything else, context is everything.

If the AAC would've chosen programs strictly going by their current basketball metrics (say Dayton and VCU) the rankings would be different.

The AAC didn't go that route. They decided to build basketball programs at schools that fit the all-sports model. So far, they're yielding pretty decent results. SMU was a 30 win team last year. UCF and Houston got the bye (3rd and 4th seed) in their conference tournament and made the NIT. Each of those teams will be good this year.

The problem has been UConn's struggles with injuries and Memphis rebuilding due to a coaching transition from Pastner to Tubby Smith. Cincinnati also won 30 games last year.

Outside of ECU, there has been an overhaul at USF (Brian Gregory), Tulane (Mike Dunleavy), UCF (Dawkins), SMU (Jankovich), Houston (Sampson), Tulsa (Haith), and Memphis (Tubby).
Only Gregg Marshall (Wichita), Mick Cronin (Cincinnati), Fran Dunphy (Temple), Kevin Ollie (UConn), and Lebo (ECU), were in place before their transition from the OBE to the AAC.

That's why the RPI doesn't say very much. They built their league using a different model than the NBE.

I respect what they've done. Ollie already won a championship in the AAC, so he's gotten some leeway. Dunphy had similar issues with injuries last year as well.

With Wichita State coming in, this will be a big year for the American. It will be a lot closer to the real measure of the league given those new coaches will be closer to having a near full roster of players. Wichita is a Top 5 team with Landry Shamut.

CFB...wah, wah wah...injuries. Everyone gets injuries. Look at X and Creighton last year. Both lose 1st team all-league (and AA) candidates but they keep on marching. Nova loses Spellman and Booth. Don't get me started on how unlucky PC has been with losing players (Ledo, Austin, kids bolting to the NBA, etc.). But they keep winning.

"That's why the RPI doesn't say much...they built their league using a different model." What does this even mean? Are you actually disputing that a league finishing 8th in RPI is somehow much better than what the data suggests? Are you trying to simply state that you THINK the AAC is on the right path. Because that is just a casual opinion with zero basis in fact. How many tourney games has the AAC won in the past 3 years? You guys think you are making these big strides, but here's the thing... you are what your record says. And the AAC has been very pedestrian. You say, just wait until UConn and Temple and Memphis right the ship. Yeah, we have a couple of those programs ourselves: Georgetown, St. John's and DePaul. Heck, even Marq has been only a shell of what is once was. Do you hear anyone crying about those programs taking a step back? Imagine this league if just G'town and Marq. performed like they did the last 10 years of the BE. Sounds a little like UConn, no?

Stever lectured to me in a thread that the SEC was a sleeping giant and had hired (coaches) well and were recruiting at a very high level. So they probably are not within reach of the AAC on any long term basis. So who do you think you really compete with? The P12? The BE? B10? Really? You guys compete with the A10. Nothing wrong with that. The A10 is a decent high mid-major league. And for the last 4 years they have collectively been a better conference than the AAC. Sorry you don't like the RPI but show me the empirical data that suggests I am wrong.

You're a G'town fan too, huh? Yeah, OK.

This may be a foreign concept but not everything we write needs to be partisan.

We can be a fan of this conference and still acknowledge trends in the data.

There was a heck of a lot of turnover in that conference (the American) when they brought programs up. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to count the number of players on those rosters last year. It also doesn't take a rocket scientist to note they added a Top 10 squad as well.

You have to look at the budgets/brands/etc. A lot of other really good conferences have had lean years. It's not like the SEC wasn't down to two bids a few years ago.

As fans we just let it play out. I'm not under any illusion that its always going to be roses either. It's college basketball.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby CrawfishBucket » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:08 pm

Are you denying that Georgetown, Nova, St J, Creighton, Butler, Xavier, Seton Hall, Providence, Marquette, and DePaul, aren't all charter members of this conference?

Why would you want to live a lie?
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:48 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:
NJRedman wrote:No I agree, no Big East fan calls it the New Big East. So hit the bricks you phony.

Funny how all the fakes use Gtown as their fake school.

Here's the Wikipedia page for the present Big East conference.

Note: The history starts in 2013.

"The Big East Conference (stylized as BIG EAST) is a collegiate athletic conference that competes in NCAA Division I in all sports except football, which is not sponsored. The conference has been officially recognized as a Division I multi-sport conference, effective on August 1, 2013."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_East_Conference

There is a distinction. Everyone of the current 10 members is considered a charter school of this conference.

Here's the Wikipedia page for the original.

http://bit.ly/1TwsGhn

Thank you.

Now don't you find it intersting that the title of the page is "Big East Conference" rather than "New Big East Conference?"
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby EMT » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:05 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:

Are you denying that Georgetown, Nova, St J, Creighton, Butler, Xavier, Seton Hall, Providence, Marquette, and DePaul, aren't all charter members of this conference?

100% proof that he is a troll and not a real fan...
EMT

Postby NJRedman » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:28 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:

No Butler, Xavier, Creighton, Marquette and DePaul aren't charter members of the Big East. The four playing under the Big East banner since 1979 are the charter members.

Why would you want to live a lie on here that you're a Georgetown fan you phony?
NJRedman

Postby CrawfishBucket » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:34 pm

NJRedman wrote:
CrawfishBucket wrote:

No Butler, Xavier, Creighton, Marquette and DePaul aren't charter members of the Big East. The four playing under the Big East banner since 1979 are the charter members.

Why would you want to live a lie on here that you're a Georgetown fan you phony?

I'm a Georgetown fan and I'm a Lynyrd Skynyrd fan.

I believe you can still catch Lynyrd Skynyrd on tour. Whether or not you equate that with the group you grew up listening to (pre plane crash) is a matter of perspective.

For that matter, I like Queen too and they're still touring with Adam Lambert.

In regards to the 10 charter members, I was speaking purely technically.
Last edited by CrawfishBucket on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby NJRedman » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:21 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:
NJRedman wrote:
CrawfishBucket wrote:

I believe you can still catch Lynyrd Skynyrd on tour. Whether or not you equate that with the group you grew up listening to (pre plane crash) is a matter of perspective.

For that matter, I like Queen too and their still touring with Adam Lambert.

So the ACC isn't the same conference since only 7 out of their 15 members are charter members? Almost the same % as the Big East.
NJRedman

Postby CrawfishBucket » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:26 pm

NJRedman wrote:
CrawfishBucket wrote:

For that matter, I like Queen too and their still touring with Adam Lambert.

So the ACC isn't the same conference since only 7 out of their 15 members are charter members? Almost the same % as the Big East.

Actually, the ACC could stake a claim to the Big East name... which is a peripheral part of this issue.

The reason they call it the New (or 'Present') Big East is because the 10 Charter members essentially created something new but bought the old logos from the lineal group.

That's what happened and there is nothing wrong with that.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby Savannah Jay » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:49 am

CrawfishBucket wrote:
NJRedman wrote:
CrawfishBucket wrote:

Actually, the ACC could stake a claim to the Big East name... which is a peripheral part of this issue.

The reason they call it the New (or 'Present') Big East is because the 10 Charter members essentially created something new but bought the old logos from the lineal group.

So this is the crux of your hard on for the Big East. You're an AAC (assume that's what you meant above, not ACC) fan and your pissed that the Big East has the name and the success (but doesn't include the team you actually root for).

As far as "they" calling it the new Big East (or 'Present'), who is they? Knowledgeable sports fans don't. Reputable journalists don't. Not even ESPN, who has their very own bug up their ass about the Big East, calls it anything other than the Big East. So who is "they?" Well, it's those that aren't in the conference and wish that were...period.

And by they way, they don't call it the New Big Ten (though there is 14 of 'em now), the New SEC, or the New Big 12 (even tough their ain't twelve of them), either.
Savannah Jay

Postby stever20 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:19 am

I don't think folks call it the New Big East any more really. But I also do think the pre-2014 version of the conference is viewed as being the Old Big East. It's not viewed as a continuous entity by most people.

Why they don't do the same for the other conferences? Because the other conferences didn't basically split in half all at once. Huge difference there.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board