The AAAAAAAC and Advanced Marketing (or Self-Kidding)

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The AAAAAAAC and Advanced Marketing (or Self-Kidding)

Postby stever20 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:57 pm

FriarJ wrote:
I know that winning percentage sure has helped the AAC with seeding. It's sad watching you struggle for any lifeline after literally every single prediction you have made for the last 5 years has been wrong. That's Cleveland Browns level futility there. Blindfolded dart throwers would have better predictions than you.

The AAC has NEVER had the winning percentage before.
2017- 85-50 .6296
2016- 89-49 .6496
2015- 80-49 .6202
2014- 88-35 .7154

So you just proved my point. If the AAC can maintain how much it's winning OOC, that's going to be a game changer for them in conference play.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby adoraz » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:24 pm

Stever, actual RPI right now on an INDIVIDUAL team basis may mean next to nothing, but when you start looking at 10-15 team conferences then there's definitely some statistical significance there.

WSU is in trouble right now...
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby stever20 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:25 pm

adoraz wrote:Stever, actual RPI right now on an INDIVIDUAL team basis may mean next to nothing, but when you start looking at 10-15 team conferences then there's definitely some statistical significance there.

Not really. If you think there is, please explain the WAC being #5 in the RPI right now despite a 11-17 record.
stever20

Postby Westbrook#36 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:39 pm

Leave it to Stever
Westbrook#36

Postby stever20 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:53 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:Leave it to Stever

so I'm guessing you can't explain the WAC being #5 in the RPI- but want to show how important it is that the AAC was low. I'm tracking. Leave it to Westbrook.

Oh, and the AAC has already today gotten up to #12 in RPI, and will likely move into the top 10 after the Cincy game is over. So when you can move up 5 spots in 1 day- it just shows how early it is for the RPI.

What is important though-
overall record thru this time last year- 24-16
this year 33-9(and will be 34-9 after the Cincy game ends)

The AAC and Big East are both having great years.
Big East last year thru today 33-7
Big East this year thru today 29-5(and will be 30-5 after Xavier wins tonight)

So the 2 together-
last year 57-23
this year 64-14
stever20

Postby adoraz » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:58 pm

stever20 wrote:
adoraz wrote:Stever, actual RPI right now on an INDIVIDUAL team basis may mean next to nothing, but when you start looking at 10-15 team conferences then there's definitely some statistical significance there.

Not really. If you think there is, please explain the WAC being #5 in the RPI right now despite a 11-17 record.

Please explain the top 7 conferences having the Big East and the entire P5 in it, all of which are virtually guaranteed to finish in the top 7?

I never said it was perfect or anywhere near at this point, but clearly there is some statistical significance. Quit acting dumb.

Big East I think has a good chance at #1 after tonight, where they belong for now.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby stever20 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:14 pm

adoraz wrote:
stever20 wrote:

Please explain the top 7 conferences having the Big East and the entire P5 in it, all of which are virtually guaranteed to finish in the top 7?

I never said it was perfect or anywhere near at this point, but clearly there is some statistical significance. Quit acting dumb.

Big East I think has a good chance at #1 after tonight, where they belong for now.

Well, right now just looked and the AAC is up to #9 in the RPI.

The AAC jumped up 7 spots today. That should tell you how early it is.

And sorry, but when the WAC is #4 in conference RPI with a 12-17 record, that should tell you everything you need to know about the validity of the RPI currently. It'll balance out- but it takes a while.
stever20

Postby billyjack » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:24 am

stever20 wrote:...The AAC the only one of the 4 that has any top 50 teams- and then 4 more top 75 teams than any of the others. That's huge with the new classifciations for wins- remember it's top 30 home wins and top 75 road wins for tier 1 wins. So right now, Wichita could have for example 8 tier 1 conference wins along with another 5 tier 2 conference wins...

You forgot the WCC, which has 2 ranked teams.
Providence
billyjack

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:27 am

Stever, winning % at this point means about as much as RPI. You can’t preach in one thread about the importance of winning (or even just competing) vs certain RPI tiers, and SOS, and then claim straight winning % is a significant metric. If conf A schedules cupcakes and conf B sprinkles in tough games then winning % can’t be a comparative stat. As an example the Gavitt games pits 8 BE schools (power conf) vs 8 B1G schools (power conf). Counting Gavitt games and others (ND, UCLA) the BE has already challenged itself fairly well. Go over and look at the scalps that the AAC have accumulated and the games that they have lost and try to tell me again that comparing straight winning % means anything.

Take the losses alone:
Minn. (top 25)
Purdue (top 25)
ND (top 25)
@MD
Illini (only questionable loss and it was by the leagues most unreliable program)

On the AAC side:
Drexel
Radford
Central Conn.
Indiana
Morgan St.
Alabama
Lamar
Ill. St.
Iowa St.

I’m not going to go through the wins on each side but let’s just say that they too do not compare.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:48 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Stever, winning % at this point means about as much as RPI. You can’t preach in one thread about the importance of winning (or even just competing) vs certain RPI tiers, and SOS, and then claim straight winning % is a significant metric. If conf A schedules cupcakes and conf B sprinkles in tough games then winning % can’t be a comparative stat. As an example the Gavitt games pits 8 BE schools (power conf) vs 8 B1G schools (power conf). Counting Gavitt games and others (ND, UCLA) the BE has already challenged itself fairly well. Go over and look at the scalps that the AAC have accumulated and the games that they have lost and try to tell me again that comparing straight winning % means anything.

Take the losses alone:
Minn. (top 25)
Purdue (top 25)
ND (top 25)
@MD
Illini (only questionable loss and it was by the leagues most unreliable program)

On the AAC side:
Drexel
Radford
Central Conn.
Indiana
Morgan St.
Alabama
Lamar
Ill. St.
Iowa St.

I’m not going to go through the wins on each side but let’s just say that they too do not compare.

The biggest problem the AAC has had thru the years is their OOC has killed them before. So when they get into conference play, they enter with having like last year- entered with 1 team with 2 losses, 4 with 3, 1 with 4, 2 with 5, 2 with 6, and then Tulane had 9. So the 50% that everyone was bringing was in a lot of cases 8-5 or 6-6. This year that might not be the case at all. That's going to really help with bubble teams in their conference. And what that's going to do is allow their teams to ALL have higher RPI's, which will be putting their teams on higher tiers than they've otherwise seen. RPI gets very circular as we go along.

I think you would have to admit the AAC has done better so far this year than they have in recent years.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board