The AAAAAAAC and Advanced Marketing (or Self-Kidding)

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The AAAAAAAC and Advanced Marketing (or Self-Kidding)

Postby Bluejay » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:22 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
NJRedman wrote:
BEhomer wrote:Uconn still has to prove they are more than just one HOF coach program. I think Ollie has this year and next year. if he doesn't turn it around then he's probably gone. let's see what kind of coach they can bring in then. that will tell alot about their program.

I don't think he'll have a next year personally.

Supposedly he has a massive buyout. And UConn is broke as it is.

True, but this may be a case where not firing him costs him more than firing him. I would suspect season and single game ticket sales will take a major hit if he is on the sidelines next year.
Bluejay

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby adoraz » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:55 pm

There is likely something up. ESPN has had a different tone with the Big East this year. From the "Power-6" article, to their major conferences rankings which includes the P6, to the UConn game. All 3 of those go out of their way to praise a rival property.

Could be them trying to drive down the AAC cost for renegotiation or bid on the BE (although that's still a ways off).

What about the BE tier 2 package? Maybe Fox would be willing to sell to ESPN rather than CBS? Not sure of the terms on that, but IMO that'd make the most sense.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby stever20 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:11 pm

adoraz wrote:There is likely something up. ESPN has had a different tone with the Big East this year. From the "Power-6" article, to their major conferences rankings which includes the P6, to the UConn game. All 3 of those go out of their way to praise a rival property.

Could be them trying to drive down the AAC cost for renegotiation or bid on the BE (although that's still a ways off).

What about the BE tier 2 package? Maybe Fox would be willing to sell to ESPN rather than CBS? Not sure of the terms on that, but IMO that'd make the most sense.

I was just going to say the final line you had. Maybe have a bit of a trade off- Fox getting some Big 12 basketball, with ESPN getting some Big East basketball maybe?

One thing, I hope there's better camera work than what they had last night in the Wisconsin/Temple game. It was at this weird angle from like 1/3 court.
stever20

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:18 pm

adoraz wrote:There is likely something up. ESPN has had a different tone with the Big East this year. From the "Power-6" article, to their major conferences rankings which includes the P6, to the UConn game. All 3 of those go out of their way to praise a rival property.

I seriously doubt there are any high-level conspiracies. ESPN has much bigger problems than the AAC and Big East contracts. This is likely reporters simply reflecting reality as they see it. When the NBE formed there was doubt about their place in college basketball, that is no longer the case.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby anXUfan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:42 pm

I totally get the nostalgic feelings of fans from longstanding Big East programs, but I’m skeptical of the value of a broken and defeated UConn program only returning out of desperation.
anXUfan

Postby adoraz » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:50 pm

DudeAnon wrote:

I seriously doubt there are any high-level conspiracies. ESPN has much bigger problems than the AAC and Big East contracts. This is likely reporters simply reflecting reality as they see it. When the NBE formed there was doubt about their place in college basketball, that is no longer the case.

Eh that's definitely possible. However, when you have multiple on-air personalities belittling a conference they are currently in negotiations with, It's definitely plausible there's a motive. It was at least 2 people saying the same thing on air, and I think at different times. If I were them, I absolutely wouldn't risk doing that unless I was informed to. Don't you think the AAC would be pissed that their partner is advocating for their biggest asset to leave? Come on. Either there's a motive or it was a weird thing to do.

My grand conspiracy based on nothing: ESPN wants to drive down the price of the AAC as much as possible for their new contract. To do this, they need UConn out. They are working with Fox and UConn to move them to the Big East. ESPN takes over the T2 package.

Stretch? Yeah obviously. But from a business POV I think it'd make sense. They did just announce a deal a few days ago to move the Fox Sports local channels from Fox to ESPN so they are working together.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:34 am

MullinMayhem wrote:Someone else pointed this out and I think it's a good point...UConn seems to be under the impression that they can just stay the course and wait for a major football conference to take them. As if they have another 5 years to just lay back without consequence. That's not true. It's shocking how quickly they've tarnished themselves, especially because they just won a ring in 2014. If all this happened in just a few years, just imagine what another 5 years of irrelevance might do to their brand. Will the Big East even want them at that point? If they ask to negotiate, we must set the following straight:

1. Massive exit fee should they leave for whatever reason
2. Demand they demote football to FCS level or do away with it completely. Putting in MAC or independent won't cut it.
3. Ensure that being a public school they will not put themselves at an unfair advantage i.e. funding for the program, etc.
4. An apology from UConn fans who made fun of the C-7 breaking away and saying we would turn into mid-major status without them.

Sound like that's asking for way too much? Welp, we are your last lifeboat...get on or consider yourselves shark bait!

UConn has gone 17-44 in the American. They have lost nine or more games in a season in all but one season. If they stay the course, forget about getting an invite to a major football conference; they may get the Temple treatment and get kicked out of the American for being uncompetitive in football!
GoldenWarrior11

Postby kayako » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:37 am

anXUfan wrote:I totally get the nostalgic feelings of fans from longstanding Big East programs, but I’m skeptical of the value of a broken and defeated UConn program only returning out of desperation.

I wished Nova hadn't agreed to a away-neutral-home arrangement with them.
supernova
kayako

Postby Novachap » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:52 am

Yeah, not a lot of value to having uconn on the schedule at this point. I will say, looking forward to the seeing the difference between the programs on the court. Should be a real beat down.
Novachap

Postby MullinMayhem » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:19 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:
MullinMayhem wrote:Someone else pointed this out and I think it's a good point...UConn seems to be under the impression that they can just stay the course and wait for a major football conference to take them. As if they have another 5 years to just lay back without consequence. That's not true. It's shocking how quickly they've tarnished themselves, especially because they just won a ring in 2014. If all this happened in just a few years, just imagine what another 5 years of irrelevance might do to their brand. Will the Big East even want them at that point? If they ask to negotiate, we must set the following straight:

1. Massive exit fee should they leave for whatever reason
2. Demand they demote football to FCS level or do away with it completely. Putting in MAC or independent won't cut it.
3. Ensure that being a public school they will not put themselves at an unfair advantage i.e. funding for the program, etc.
4. An apology from UConn fans who made fun of the C-7 breaking away and saying we would turn into mid-major status without them.

Sound like that's asking for way too much? Welp, we are your last lifeboat...get on or consider yourselves shark bait!

UConn has gone 17-44 in the American. They have lost nine or more games in a season in all but one season. If they stay the course, forget about getting an invite to a major football conference; they may get the Temple treatment and get kicked out of the American for being uncompetitive in football!

Shocking isn't it? When they joined the AAC I just assumed they would win 30 games a year and smack everyone around. They can't even dominate a bad conference. To make matters worse, Memphis has been trending downward ever since the Rose days it seems. They have not been a real factor. There are still lots of people out there willing to make excuses for UConn but they don't have any. Over on the Boneyard most of their fans are just assuming we will take them even if they park football in the MAC or wherever. There are still a decent amount of them who think they are Big East era UConn, always ranked and elite nationally. I saw some crazy stat recently...something along the lines of them only having a losing record 1 year in the past 25+ or so. They are a spoiled rotten fanbase and some still haven't awoken to the reality of their program falling apart in the AAC. If they did join the Big East again (would have to totally get rid of football or demote to FCS), I do think they would quickly get back to being a top 25 team. This is why we have the leverage...we can save them but we don't need them. So many people have said there's no way they will demote or get rid of football since there's so much invested. I actually think there's a real chance they do one of those two things. Culturally, major college football is just not nearly as big in the northeast tri-state area. If anyone does follow it, they are front-running Bama, OSU, Michigan, ND fans. No one cares about Rutgers football and they are in the B1G. Why would anyone ever care about UConn in football? They will never get the recruits or the cultural fit needed IMO. I've said many times they are essentially Stony Brook in football. In other words, an FCS team playing as a FBS team. It will be really interesting to see if they really will let basketball die. Oh and by the way, once Geno retires the same will happen to the women's team.
MullinMayhem

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board