The AAAAAAAC and Advanced Marketing (or Self-Kidding)

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The AAAAAAAC and Advanced Marketing (or Self-Kidding)

Postby MullinMayhem » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:07 am

The AAC will always be weighed down by the anchor programs. They have some good teams up top but lots of mediocre to bad teams to drag down their RPI and prevent any conference prestige from setting in. Like others have said also, you know it's a bad conference when Memphis, UConn, Cincy, etc. are looking to get out asap. It's just a placeholder conference for schools in line to try and go F5 in football. It's an audition essentially. Those schools are not committed at all to remaining there. So glad to be in a stable conference where we can focus on hoops and not realignment every year. We know our strengths and we stick to them.
MullinMayhem

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:27 am

MullinMayhem wrote:The AAC will always be weighed down by the anchor programs. They have some good teams up top but lots of mediocre to bad teams to drag down their RPI and prevent any conference prestige from setting in. Like others have said also, you know it's a bad conference when Memphis, UConn, Cincy, etc. are looking to get out asap. It's just a placeholder conference for schools in line to try and go F5 in football. It's an audition essentially. Those schools are not committed at all to remaining there. So glad to be in a stable conference where we can focus on hoops and not realignment every year. We know our strengths and we stick to them.

The problem is there's no where for them to go. And there are only 4 teams now sub 100 in KP in there. And look- Wichita plays those 4 teams only once each. Cincy only 5 games.

And like was said- the AAC is 14-3 so far this year. Wichita and Cincy look really tough.

Bottom line, AAC and Big East doing well IMO like I've said is great for college basketball. I don't want to just have the P5.

Oh and Gasaway says that in KP his mark for a power conference is a 10 rating. Well, AAC right now is at 9.06. So pretty darn close. It's up from 8.88 I believe at the start of the season. It's less than 1 point behind the Pac 12 right now at 10.04. And for those that think the A10 should be in there if the AAC is in there- the A10 is down behind the MWC at 2.85. The AAC is closer to the ACC than they are the A10 right now.
stever20

Postby DeltaV » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:59 pm

Was just listening to a local sports radio station here in Charleston, they were talking about Wichita State having beaten College of Charleston last night.

First, they said WS was still a mid-major...and it took them a good 5 minutes to even remember that they're not in the MVC any more. Followed by 'yeah, they moved conferences to, umm, what was it? Oh yeah, the American. Well, I guess that's a better conference'.

And this wasn't some hick caller...this was the ESPN radio talking head and his counterpart at a local TV station.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby mpwalsh8 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:16 pm

Was flipping through the ESPN App and noticed UConn was playing so decided to catch a little bit of the game. Saw a promo for the AAC which has this "American Pow6r" logo at the end. I know there was a push by the AAC to be part of the "P6" but I didn't realize they had added it to their conference logo. Is this new?

2017-11-19_19-09-55.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mpwalsh8

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:55 pm

mpwalsh8 wrote:Was flipping through the ESPN App and noticed UConn was playing so decided to catch a little bit of the game. Saw a promo for the AAC which has this "American Pow6r" logo at the end. I know there was a push by the AAC to be part of the "P6" but I didn't realize they had added it to their conference logo. Is this new?

2017-11-19_19-09-55.png

They added it in the Spring as part of their new marketing initiative. Between the stickers, the golf balls and the hashtags, I'd say they are going all-out. Perhaps ESPN can tell Tulsa they are actually a P6. Not only are they 2-9 in football, and last place in the AAC West, their basketball team just lost to Illinois State, after losing to Lamar last week. East Carolina has lost to Radford and Central Connecticut. South Florida has lost to Morgan State. Houston lost to Drexel.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby CrawfishBucket » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:15 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:They added it in the Spring as part of their new marketing initiative. Between the stickers, the golf balls and the hashtags, I'd say they are going all-out. Perhaps ESPN can tell Tulsa they are actually a P6. Not only are they 2-9 in football, and last place in the AAC West, their basketball team just lost to Illinois State, after losing to Lamar last week. East Carolina has lost to Radford and Central Connecticut. South Florida has lost to Morgan State. Houston lost to Drexel.

There's a very easy way to settle the pissing contest. Head to Head. Who will win more of these games?

DePaul/Michigan State vs UConn
Missouri, Long Beach State, St., John's, or Oregon State vs UCF
Xavier vs Cincinnati
Villanova vs Temple
Providence vs Houston
Villanova Vs UConn

Currently, the Big East has 6 undefeated teams and the AAC has 7 undefeated teams.
The Big East has three 1-loss teams and the AAC has two 1-loss teams.

I don't think the AAC is too concerned over who ECU loses to. Their better teams only play ECU 1 time.

It will be interesting to see who gets more bids this time.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby Omaha1 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:11 am

It's peculiar to me that a guy who proclaims himself to be a Georgetown fan and uses the Hoyas logo for his avatar sure is going to a lot of trouble to promote the AAC against the Big East.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby paulxu » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:42 am

The current OOC strength of schedule for these conferences:

AAC 30
BE 8
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu

Postby MullinMayhem » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:21 am

The problem is that the AAC has at least 5+ teams that are legitimate mid major programs playing in a so-called "power" conference. The Big East has 1 team that consistently plays like a true mid major and that's DePaul. You can keep adding top 25 mid major programs, but until they purge the dead weight it will keep them from being taken too seriously. True power conferences don't need to have a campaign to scream from the rooftops that they are one. It's like an ugly person trying to convince everyone else they are attractive. The Big East quietly holds their own with the big F5 conferences every year. The only thing we can possibly do better IMO is our tourney performances. We need to get more than just Nova, Xavier, and Butler past the second round.
MullinMayhem

Postby Burrito » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:00 am

Why even discuss the American Athletic Conference? You're just going to rile up Stever and Crawfish (two big time Georgetown fans).
Burrito

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board