Big Get for DePaul

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big Get for DePaul

Postby Doge McDermott » Wed May 10, 2017 10:11 am

DudeAnon wrote:Also, DePaul is now the leader for Brian Bowen. http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/ ... redictions

So close Creighton, so close.

I hope he realizes it was Creighton fans chanting for Tugs at the DePaul game, not the five DePaul fans that bothered to attend.
Doge McDermott

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Red Rooster » Wed May 10, 2017 10:41 am

Doge McDermott wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:Also, DePaul is now the leader for Brian Bowen. http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/ ... redictions

So close Creighton, so close.

I hope he realizes it was Creighton fans chanting for Tugs at the DePaul game, not the five DePaul fans that bothered to attend.

Although, DePaul could inevitably land Bowen, I wouldn't give much credence to the "Crystal Ball." I've seen too many posters using it as if it's the gospel.
Red Rooster

Postby SJHooper » Wed May 10, 2017 11:04 am

Red Rooster wrote:
SJHooper wrote:Saying I go apes-it then accusing ME of hyperbole :D you are a character rooster. The fact is SH has already passed us by. I hate that. The only team to do worse than us post-realignment in conference is DePaul. Let's just be real.

So, you didn't go bananas when Whitehead signed with Seton Hall? That particular thread still exists 'ya know. So, you're never hyperbolic when driving home points? I bet I could easily find 10 other posters who would say "yes." But, you wanna fancy yourself as some levelheaded poster. Yeah, how about you "be real!" My "accusations," as you claim has plenty of merit and material. The only "character" I see is you.

Seton Hall has passed us, but I can't say if it's sustainable. It depends who they bring along, respectively, in their '18 and '19 classes. Otherwise, they could easily find themselves descend to the bottom of the conference.

It's not best practice and it is a bit sleazy, but desperate times call for desperate measures and Willard saved his job by doing it. So yes, I called him out for it assuming it wouldn't work out anyway, but it did. Of course the coach they hired to get Whitehead was let go, but Whitehead still played and had a domino effect on recruiting leading them to win the Big East championship, something we haven't done in what, 17 years? No team has done as little as us in our conference with the exception of DePaul and now they appear primed for a resurgence. You act as if I'm delighted that SJ has been awful for the better part of 30 years. At this point, even reaching the NCAA tournament feels amazing. I'm very frustrated, because we have guards talented enough to make the Sweet 16 but we have bigs bad enough to miss the CBI.

I was told that we can't get recruit very well because we don't win. Then DePaul does this.
SJHooper

Postby Red Rooster » Wed May 10, 2017 12:53 pm

SJHooper wrote:
Red Rooster wrote:So, you didn't go bananas when Whitehead signed with Seton Hall? That particular thread still exists 'ya know. So, you're never hyperbolic when driving home points? I bet I could easily find 10 other posters who would say "yes." But, you wanna fancy yourself as some levelheaded poster. Yeah, how about you "be real!" My "accusations," as you claim has plenty of merit and material. The only "character" I see is you.

Seton Hall has passed us, but I can't say if it's sustainable. It depends who they bring along, respectively, in their '18 and '19 classes. Otherwise, they could easily find themselves descend to the bottom of the conference.

It's not best practice and it is a bit sleazy, but desperate times call for desperate measures and Willard saved his job by doing it. So yes, I called him out for it assuming it wouldn't work out anyway, but it did. Of course the coach they hired to get Whitehead was let go, but Whitehead still played and had a domino effect on recruiting leading them to win the Big East championship, something we haven't done in what, 17 years? No team has done as little as us in our conference with the exception of DePaul and now they appear primed for a resurgence. You act as if I'm delighted that SJ has been awful for the better part of 30 years. At this point, even reaching the NCAA tournament feels amazing. I'm very frustrated, because we have guards talented enough to make the Sweet 16 but we have bigs bad enough to miss the CBI.

I was told that we can't get recruit very well because we don't win. Then DePaul does this.

You did more than just call out Williard for it not possibly working out. You went nuts and even accused him of violating NCAA rules. IMO, I still can't say, it has worked out. Outside of winning a Big East Tournament championship, there isn't anything else he's done that has really gotten my attention. So, IMO, he's had modest success. As, I stated earlier, he's one misstepped class away from his tenure to go awry. Then, it'll all look like aesthetics. Meaning, he did enough to keep his seat fairly cool, but there wasn't any sustainability to his moves. You obviously can't see that, as everything is black and white in your eyes.

DePaul seems like they're going in the right direction. But, until I actually see it, then it's immaterial. You're assuming that I believe you're "delighted" about the Johnnies' play. In no way, shape or form have I even given off that vibe. That's just pure fallacy on your end, and shows you're using deflection to hide behind your BS.

I agree the Johnnies has a talented backcourt, but their frontcourt could certainly hold them back from attainable goals. IMO, if they aren't committed to playing defense and consistently share the ball (they share it on occasions), then it doesn't matter who is in the frontcourt outside of heyday Shaq and "Mailman" Malone. If they do those things I've mentioned, then the lack of a true frontcourt will be minimized to a degree.

Finally, what do you mean by "DePaul does this?" Do you mean they "did it" by landing a top-notch talent even after playing poorly for a number of seasons? Or, do you mean, they "did it" by landing a top-notch talent byway of bringing in his high school coach of two years? Because, IMO, the former doesn't even remotely happens, if it wasn't for the latter.
Red Rooster

Postby ivet » Wed May 10, 2017 2:08 pm

Not sure if anyone already posted this but here is Gary Parrish take on this.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basket ... -doing-it/
ivet

Postby SJHooper » Wed May 10, 2017 6:52 pm

In what world is a Big East championship "modest"? If that's modest and we haven't done it in nearly 20 years what does that make us? I still wear my SJ gear and represent but SJ has been irrelevant the past 30 yrs minus a few blips along the way. We have talent and hope but that rarely materializes for us. Until we are a consistently solid team that makes regular tournaments I will be extremely disappointed.
SJHooper

Postby Red Rooster » Thu May 11, 2017 12:27 am

SJHooper wrote:In what world is a Big East championship "modest"? If that's modest and we haven't done it in nearly 20 years what does that make us? I still wear my SJ gear and represent but SJ has been irrelevant the past 30 yrs minus a few blips along the way. We have talent and hope but that rarely materializes for us. Until we are a consistently solid team that makes regular tournaments I will be extremely disappointed.

Being that no one rushed to challenge my opinion on Willard's tenure being "modestly successful," including Seton Hall fans, should tell you everything about it being unflashy. But, you're too black and white to notice it. It was a conference tournament championship. It wasn't a national title. Once again, Willard has yet to even advance past the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

What does St. John's success or lack of, per winning a Big East Tournament, has to do with anything? Nothing. Another one of your many fallacies. You're a silly individual. Willard has had modest success, IMO. Nothing more. I never said, you shouldn't be disappointed when it comes to St. John's, either. I'm also disappointed. But, you can't see clearly through black and white lenses.

By the way, it looks like Delgado isn't returning for his senior season. That's a big blow to Seton Hall's upcoming season. As, I stated, I never thought Willard was set up for sustainability. If Seton Hall flames out in '17-'18 (ie, lose in the first round of the NCAA Tournament), then he better have a bonanza 2018 class lined up. If he has a misstep in the 2018 class, then there is chance he'll be let go after the 2018-2019 season.
Red Rooster

Postby CrawfishBucket » Thu May 11, 2017 8:47 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Remember when I said DePaul would be bad next year?

Dave L. has worked himself into a large contract extension. No matter what they do.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby Hall2012 » Thu May 11, 2017 8:51 am

The Big East Tournament Championship was spectacular - no doubt about that. It's easily the 2nd most prestigious trophy a Big East school can win and the experience of seeing the Pirates celebrate a championship at MSG was amazing (though it was unfortunately the year I moved out of the area and the first BET I couldn't attend since 09). Somebody asked not too long ago if I'd rather win the Big East Tournament or win 1 NCAA Tournament game. That's easy - BET every time. If you said 2 NCAA Tournament games...then there'd be something to think about.

That said, I think it's fair to describe Willard's success as modest. As great as winning 1 BET was, expectations were higher. In the past 2 years (and especially 2 years ago) we really felt like the team had Sweet 16 or better talent and that makes falling in the 1st round both times a tough pill to swallow. Getting past UNC this past year may have been a long shot, but losing to an Arkansas team that the Hall really should have beaten was a sour note to end on.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby CrawfishBucket » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:56 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Jon Rothstein‏ @JonRothstein

La Lumiere's Shane Heirman is expected to join Dave Leitao's staff at DePaul as an assistant coach, per multiple sources.

Huge get for the Blue Demons. Wonder if this affects Brian Bowen's interest in DePaul.

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Remember when I said DePaul would be bad next year?

Bowen just enrolled at Louisville.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sp ... 357134001/
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board