Big Get for DePaul

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big Get for DePaul

Postby DudeAnon » Tue May 09, 2017 9:07 am

Holy cow, the #25 recruit going to DePaul. Good job DePaul.

Note: his ranking will probably drop a bit since he is reclassifying to 2018. But still a great pickup.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... r-campbell
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DudeAnon » Tue May 09, 2017 9:12 am

Also, DePaul is now the leader for Brian Bowen. http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/ ... redictions

So close Creighton, so close.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue May 09, 2017 9:32 am

This is great for DePaul and for the Big East. If they get Bowen, even if he leaves after just a season, he immediately improves the perception of DePaul. With Campbell the following year, things are looking up.

If we can only get a year where all 10 teams are looking competitive, we can really take off.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby billyjack » Tue May 09, 2017 10:43 am

Huge developments for DePaul.

The BE in December 2012 had what, like 150 goals and hurdles to jump? We've been wildly successful... and there are only maybe 4 hurdles left... one is the resurgence of DePaul... to own Chicago... looks like it's finally happening... crazy... fantastic. Wow!
Providence
billyjack

Postby Red Rooster » Tue May 09, 2017 11:17 am

SJHooper wrote:Great get for DePaul...as a fan of essentially all losing teams i.e. Mets, Jets, Knicks, SJ, Isles, etc. it's nice to see things like this happen. So sick of the same boring UK, Kansas, UNC, Duke, Arizona signings. You don't have to go to those schools to make the NBA, you can make a bigger name for yourself as "the man" on a team instead of being one of many studs. Look at Kris Dunn. Very refreshing. Even if the reason is due to hiring his coach, who cares? I know some look down upon it as being desperate, but look what it did for Willard at Seton Hall. He sold his soul to get Whitehead and he's had lots of success since then. Getting Whitehead is what turned that program around...they went on to win the Big East and have been recruiting well since they started to win. The consensus seems to be that hiring a major recruit's coach just to secure them never works, but Willard is proof that it can.

I love your use of hyperbole when you attempt to drive home a point. First of all, Williard hasn't had "lots of success" since bringing in assistant coaches for Whitehead (and company) and Delgado. I know that's subjective, but I don't see the ton of success. He's had some success (ie, winning the Big East Tournament and having winning seasons), but he's yet to even advance past the first round of the NCAA Tournament. His recruiting hasn't been any better than St. John's since Mullin was hired with the exception of this year. Let's see how Williard fares after he loses the class where he supposedly "sold his soul." The 2018 class is just as critical for Williard as it is for Mullin.

I don't have an issue when a coach or program bring in an assistant coach. But, if it's out of desperation to keep their job, then that particular coach better be able to ride that train for the duration or get some great mileage out of that ride. Otherwise, it could come to hault after a handful of seasons, and then you're back to square one.

Regardless, I don't have a problem with it one way or another. It was you who was screaming "bloody foul" when Seton Hall did so to bring in Whitehead. You was claiming (paraphrasing), NCAA violations, based on your beliefs of Seton Hall's "supposed" transgressions. You must've forgot your apesh_t-like behavior. But, now it's all good because in your mind Williard has been "highly-successful" with this act and you use it as an indirect jab at St. John's.

The only thing I agree with you about here is I like seeing highly-rated kids choose other schools outside of the usual blue-blood's. I don't have anything against DePaul, so it's good for their program and the conference. IMO, this was a desperation move by Leitao, as his seat is probably slightly heating up and the school is opening up a brand new arena. So, he needs some momentum, and what better way to gain it by hiring coaches of top-notch talent. Hopefully, he can springboard it into some success and get the overall fanbase interested again. If the program truly takes off, then he'd get the casual fans in the area to take in games.

Nevertheless, kudos to Leitao and their program for their two solid commitments yesterday.
Red Rooster

Postby Demon22 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:25 pm

Think I'm just gonna leave this right here...

https://twitter.com/Frank_Cusumano/stat ... 7758606336
Demon22

Postby MUBoxer » Tue May 09, 2017 6:30 pm

Demon22 wrote:Think I'm just gonna leave this right here...

https://twitter.com/Frank_Cusumano/stat ... 7758606336

#makedepaulgreatagain hahaha

If Tilmon and Bowen end up there plus that guy from NIU then I think that Depaul could jump to the top of the BE very quickly. If Tilmon and Bowen were to stay a second year and play with Campbell I think you'd have an unbelievable team. That being said you still have to convince the students that you'll be worth watching to get this completely turned around. If the student body turns out in droves to the new arena and all those other ifs happen then Depaul could be the quickest turnaround from worst high major team to great again ever.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby SJHooper » Tue May 09, 2017 7:36 pm

Saying I go apes-it then accusing ME of hyperbole :D you are a character rooster. The fact is SH has already passed us by. I hate that. The only team to do worse than us post-realignment in conference is DePaul. Let's just be real.
SJHooper

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue May 09, 2017 8:21 pm

Remember when I said DePaul would be bad next year?

GoldenWarrior11

Postby Red Rooster » Wed May 10, 2017 9:59 am

SJHooper wrote:Saying I go apes-it then accusing ME of hyperbole :D you are a character rooster. The fact is SH has already passed us by. I hate that. The only team to do worse than us post-realignment in conference is DePaul. Let's just be real.

So, you didn't go bananas when Whitehead signed with Seton Hall? That particular thread still exists 'ya know. So, you're never hyperbolic when driving home points? I bet I could easily find 10 other posters who would say "yes." But, you wanna fancy yourself as some levelheaded poster. Yeah, how about you "be real!" My "accusations," as you claim has plenty of merit and material. The only "character" I see is you.

Seton Hall has passed us, but I can't say if it's sustainable. It depends who they bring along, respectively, in their '18 and '19 classes. Otherwise, they could easily find themselves descend to the bottom of the conference.
Red Rooster

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board