ESPN Layoffs and Its Future...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: ESPN Layoffs and Its Future...

Postby SJHooper » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:09 am

Isn't it amazing? The mighty ESPN that just a decade ago had a stranglehold on all things sports and popularity is now crashing. They are making the same exact mistake MTV made. When MTV was focused on what they do best (music videos, TRL, etc.) they were very popular and successful. Then they strayed off the path and began getting far left then veryyyy far left, eventually hitting an embarrassing peak with a video online bashing white men. They turned into another BuzzFeed. ESPN was awesome with SportsCenter showing all the highlights to catch up on everything going on with Chris Berman, Stuart Scott (RIP), etc. great personalities without any politics. They focused on sports and were very effective. Then they started "The Six" with Jemele Hill and her partner who focus on race race race and it basically turned into another arm of the left...another BuzzFeed. They strayed off the path and lost popularity. We don't want politics with our sports or music. We just want to enjoy the entertainment. That is the lesson no one seems to be learning. UConn also strayed from what they were good at (basketball) and decided that football would be their focus. We all see how that panned out.
SJHooper

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NJRedman » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:04 am

SJHooper wrote:Isn't it amazing? The mighty ESPN that just a decade ago had a stranglehold on all things sports and popularity is now crashing. They are making the same exact mistake MTV made. When MTV was focused on what they do best (music videos, TRL, etc.) they were very popular and successful. Then they strayed off the path and began getting far left then veryyyy far left, eventually hitting an embarrassing peak with a video online bashing white men. They turned into another BuzzFeed. ESPN was awesome with SportsCenter showing all the highlights to catch up on everything going on with Chris Berman, Stuart Scott (RIP), etc. great personalities without any politics. They focused on sports and were very effective. Then they started "The Six" with Jemele Hill and her partner who focus on race race race and it basically turned into another arm of the left...another BuzzFeed. They strayed off the path and lost popularity. We don't want politics with our sports or music. We just want to enjoy the entertainment. That is the lesson no one seems to be learning. UConn also strayed from what they were good at (basketball) and decided that football would be their focus. We all see how that panned out.

How did I know you were a crazy right winger!?!?! hahaha No wonder why you are so nutty, you clearly listen to Alex Jones.

You are f'in crazy. hahahaha
NJRedman

Postby billyjack » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:25 am

This part I think is correct...

SJHooper wrote:Isn't it amazing? The mighty ESPN that just a decade ago had a stranglehold on all things sports and popularity is now crashing. They are making the same exact mistake MTV made. When MTV was focused on what they do best (music videos, TRL, etc.) they were very popular and successful. Then they strayed off the path

But yeah, wow, that went off the rails immediately after that...

MTV stopped showing videos and became unrecognizable. Had nothing to do with politics.

Speaking of MTV, people including me born say from 1964 to 1972-ish, spent countless hours watching MTV. Scary to think about. Like 18 hour binges sometimes during summer vacation, especially if the weather was rainy and we were trapped inside... and couldn't make it to the mall. If any current 50 year old complains about "kids these days being lazy", remind them of their mindless, wasted teenage MTV years... me included of course.

:) :shock:

For ESPN, this looks really bad because some solid, recognizable names and faces have gotten axed. And this looks like a quicksand or riptide or fly in a spider web or "Russian Front" (to go Godwin here) type thing where ESPN can't stop the slide, but will just try to have a series of slow, measured retreats. And enough viewers seem to understand that ESPN has lost its way and manipulates sports news and promotes only its own properties, so as they sink they'll have no sympathy from many sports fans. This will be pretty interesting to watch. The last remaining ESPN employees will be Dick Vitale and Jay Bilas. ESPN AOL.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:59 am

Streaming certainly seems to be the future. At the moment, Big East basketball is probably the only reason I still have cable. The only other leagues I really care about are MLB and the NHL - and now that I'm out of market for my teams, I use MLB.TV and NHL.TV to stream games anyway. I also frequently use FSGO and the NBC Sports app for streaming - but those are both unfortunately tied to having a TV plan including their channels. If they offered a monthly fee option, I'd likely jump on that and become a "cord cutter" myself.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Jet915 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:04 am

Hall2012 wrote:Streaming certainly seems to be the future. At the moment, Big East basketball is probably the only reason I still have cable. The only other leagues I really care about are MLB and the NHL - and now that I'm out of market for my teams, I use MLB.TV and NHL.TV to stream games anyway. I also frequently use FSGO and the NBC Sports app for streaming - but those are both unfortunately tied to having a TV plan including their channels. If they offered a monthly fee option, I'd likely jump on that and become a "cord cutter" myself.

Same here, I keep cable mainly for FS1, FS2 and CBSSN. Luckily, I can cut down my cable to basic during the offseason and then reup when basketball season starts.
Jet915

Postby NJRedman » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:15 am

Hall2012 wrote:Streaming certainly seems to be the future. At the moment, Big East basketball is probably the only reason I still have cable. The only other leagues I really care about are MLB and the NHL - and now that I'm out of market for my teams, I use MLB.TV and NHL.TV to stream games anyway. I also frequently use FSGO and the NBC Sports app for streaming - but those are both unfortunately tied to having a TV plan including their channels. If they offered a monthly fee option, I'd likely jump on that and become a "cord cutter" myself.

Get Sling TV. I pay $20 for FS1 and FS2 along with like 35 other channels.
NJRedman

Postby Jet915 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:21 am

NJRedman wrote:

I've thought about this, but you need to upgrade your internet to get high quality streaming right? I want to watch the game in the highest quality possible.....
Jet915

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:03 am

NJRedman wrote:

I've looked into it, but the issue is that if I remove TV from my current plan they'll jack up the internet cost to the point where I really wouldn't save anything. And without a good internet connection, sling is fairly useless. I have Charter fwiw.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby DeltaV » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:01 pm

Jet915 wrote:
NJRedman wrote:

I've thought about this, but you need to upgrade your internet to get high quality streaming right? I want to watch the game in the highest quality possible.....

I had good streaming quality on my old 25 MBs plan with sling and borrowing my grandfathers FS login. I now have directTVNow, but also the 100MBs ATT fiber plan, and its quite fast as well. The 100 is overkill, but it was only $10/month more than the slower plan and got me free installation, so I figured why not.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby stever20 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:25 pm

I think that's the thing that you are going to see here- eventually they will figure out a way to prevent stealing of families login between each other. So you can't use your grandfathers login to get it. Then we'll see how committed cord cutters really are.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board