ESPN Layoffs and Its Future...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: ESPN Layoffs and Its Future...

Postby stever20 » Mon May 01, 2017 2:13 pm

NJRedman wrote:
stever20 wrote:how many games does ESPN get to air of the NBA? 85 regular season(on ESPN/ESPN2 ALONE). That's 10 more than Big Ten Football and Basketball COMBINED(on Fox and FS1). Then another 30ish for playoffs for ESPN/2.

Also, how can they have overpaid by a billion when the last deal was for about 500 million per year? So sure, there's some overpayment there. But acting like it's a billion overpay is way over the top. Plus, if it makes FS1 have to overbid for some other stuff, or remain secondary, then that helps ESPN some.

You heard it guys, everything helps ESPN and everything hurts Fox. The T-shirt GTown fan said so.

question for you. Would the NBA have helped FS1 out? I don't think there's any doubt to that question. It's by far the youngest sports league for demographics. To act like it's a win for Fox to not have the NBA is rather laughable.

End of the day what really happened with ESPN? They cut a lot of on air talent. Did that talent get them the ratings? No way. The live sports rights get them the ratings they get. Which in turn gets them the ad revenue. ESPN still is where you have to go for most of college football, basketball, the NBA(with Turner), MLB(with Fox). That's not changing any time soon. There's nothing coming up available that changes that for 4 more years.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby milksteak » Mon May 01, 2017 3:45 pm

stever20 wrote:how many games does ESPN get to air of the NBA? 85 regular season(on ESPN/ESPN2 ALONE). That's 10 more than Big Ten Football and Basketball COMBINED(on Fox and FS1). Then another 30ish for playoffs for ESPN/2.

Also, how can they have overpaid by a billion when the last deal was for about 500 million per year? So sure, there's some overpayment there. But acting like it's a billion overpay is way over the top. Plus, if it makes FS1 have to overbid for some other stuff, or remain secondary, then that helps ESPN some.

"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby MUPanther » Tue May 02, 2017 6:17 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
MUPanther wrote:Still bothers me that ESPN and TNT blocked out FS1 on the new tv deal.

The NBA deal is arguably the single biggest reason ESPN is suffering now. They did FOX a favor.
Not really. FS1 was reported to get the Monday night package that TNT just started.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby NJRedman » Tue May 02, 2017 7:05 pm

stever20 wrote:
NJRedman wrote:

You heard it guys, everything helps ESPN and everything hurts Fox. The T-shirt GTown fan said so.

question for you. Would the NBA have helped FS1 out? I don't think there's any doubt to that question. It's by far the youngest sports league for demographics. To act like it's a win for Fox to not have the NBA is rather laughable.

End of the day what really happened with ESPN? They cut a lot of on air talent. Did that talent get them the ratings? No way. The live sports rights get them the ratings they get. Which in turn gets them the ad revenue. ESPN still is where you have to go for most of college football, basketball, the NBA(with Turner), MLB(with Fox). That's not changing any time soon. There's nothing coming up available that changes that for 4 more years.

STRAW MAN ALERT!!! STRAW MAN ALERT!!! Uh when and where did I ever say that?
NJRedman

Postby billyjack » Wed May 17, 2017 2:40 pm

More ESPN news... the swirling in the toilet bowl continues...

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/b ... times.com/
Providence
billyjack

Postby BEXU » Fri May 19, 2017 10:35 pm

I bailed when they gave caitlyn jenner the courage award. Go down to the corner bar if X plays on ESPN and try to block out the commentators.
BEXU

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board