Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Patrick Ewing just landed his first commitment

Postby Jet915 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:56 pm

Most sites have him as a SG.
Jet915

Postby CrawfishBucket » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:00 pm

I believe he's being brought in to play point. This seems to suggest it as well.

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status ... 7407429632

Jeff Borzello‏
Verified account
 @jeffborzello

Patrick Ewing just landed his first commitment since taking over at Georgetown. 2017 point guard Jahvon Blair is a Hoya, per his coach.

Tweet: https://twitter.com/JuggyBlair147?ref_s ... r%5Eauthor
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby Jet915 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:38 pm

Is this a bad sign for Tremont?
Jet915

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:07 pm

I have not yet heard of any mutual interest between Tremont Waters and Dayton, but the Flyers do not have any point guards on their roster for the 2017-18 season. Needless to say, Dayton's new head coach Anthony Grant and Associate Head Coach Anthony Solomon are working hard to remedy that situation.

I thought this was interesting, and possibly relevant in the future:

What's been discussed with Waters? - Ron Bailey, Publisher - Rivals/HoyaReport - April 6, 2017
When Class of 2017 guard Tremont Waters committed to Georgetown last October, the Hoya Nation was ecstatic. Finally the Hoyas would not only have their most highly regarded high school guard prospect since Allen Iverson in the nineties and Anthony Perry a couple of years later, but also signing Waters could stem the thought Georgetown is a place where good guards don’t go.

Georgetown, led by Water’s chief recruiter Anthony Solomon, had pulled the 36th ranked prospect in his class. Times and feelings were good.

Then came March, when Waters asked for his letter of intent release, thereby making him available to attend any school (to date that request has not been granted). Waters issued a statement, noting among other things “After observing everything that’s been occurring lately and thoroughly thinking of this next decision…I want to remove myself from Georgetown University”. The Hoyas finished last season 14-18.

Several weeks later, Anthony Solomon, along with head coach John Thompson III and the rest of that staff were removed.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby scoscox » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:19 pm

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:I have not yet heard of any mutual interest between Tremont Waters and Dayton, but the Flyers do not have any point guards on their roster for the 2017-18 season. Needless to say, Dayton's new head coach Anthony Grant and Associate Head Coach Anthony Solomon are working hard to remedy that situation.

I thought this was interesting, and possibly relevant in the future:

What's been discussed with Waters? - Ron Bailey, Publisher - Rivals/HoyaReport - April 6, 2017
When Class of 2017 guard Tremont Waters committed to Georgetown last October, the Hoya Nation was ecstatic. Finally the Hoyas would not only have their most highly regarded high school guard prospect since Allen Iverson in the nineties and Anthony Perry a couple of years later, but also signing Waters could stem the thought Georgetown is a place where good guards don’t go.

Georgetown, led by Water’s chief recruiter Anthony Solomon, had pulled the 36th ranked prospect in his class. Times and feelings were good.

Then came March, when Waters asked for his letter of intent release, thereby making him available to attend any school (to date that request has not been granted). Waters issued a statement, noting among other things “After observing everything that’s been occurring lately and thoroughly thinking of this next decision…I want to remove myself from Georgetown University”. The Hoyas finished last season 14-18.

Several weeks later, Anthony Solomon, along with head coach John Thompson III and the rest of that staff were removed.

Sounds like a good discussion for a Dayton board...
scoscox

Postby Red Rooster » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:18 am

CrawfishBucket wrote:Jahvon Blair, PG, 2017.

Looks like a good get.

Too much of an unknown or lower rated recruit to know whether he's a good get or not.
Red Rooster

Postby hoyahooligan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:47 am

http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/04/21/jahvon-blair-georgetown/

Georgia Tech was also involved.
“He is a great past-first point guard who is a knockdown shooter,” McIntyre said. “He will be a great point guard at Georgetown.”

Blair averaged 23.6 points, 6.4 rebounds and 2.7 assists on a very talented Athlete Institute prep team that also featured Syracuse-bound point guard Howard Washington and Syracuse-bound forward Oshae Brissett.
“I’ll bring 100 percent effort at all times, knocking down my shot and having the ability to shoot the three and the mid-range,” Blair said before the pledge. “I’m at the best of my game in the open floor being able to push the ball on fastbreaks because I’m great at creating a play for myself and my teammates.”

From Draft Express:
"Blair exploded in the BooSteel Game leading his team to victory while helping his stock as a college prospect in the process. The 6-4 uncommitted guard can really fill it up, mixing in jumpers and floaters, while showing potential as a playmaker. His long-term upside is a bit limited given his lack of length and elite explosiveness, but he figures to be a very productive college player who could develop into an NBA prospect in time. - Source:http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jahvon-Blair-81575/
hoyahooligan

Postby Red Rooster » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:56 am

hoyahooligan wrote:http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/04/21/jahvon-blair-georgetown/

Georgia Tech was also involved.
“He is a great past-first point guard who is a knockdown shooter,” McIntyre said. “He will be a great point guard at Georgetown.”

Blair averaged 23.6 points, 6.4 rebounds and 2.7 assists on a very talented Athlete Institute prep team that also featured Syracuse-bound point guard Howard Washington and Syracuse-bound forward Oshae Brissett.
“I’ll bring 100 percent effort at all times, knocking down my shot and having the ability to shoot the three and the mid-range,” Blair said before the pledge. “I’m at the best of my game in the open floor being able to push the ball on fastbreaks because I’m great at creating a play for myself and my teammates.”

From Draft Express:
"Blair exploded in the BooSteel Game leading his team to victory while helping his stock as a college prospect in the process. The 6-4 uncommitted guard can really fill it up, mixing in jumpers and floaters, while showing potential as a playmaker. His long-term upside is a bit limited given his lack of length and elite explosiveness, but he figures to be a very productive college player who could develop into an NBA prospect in time. - Source:http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jahvon-Blair-81575/

I'm sure that was posted in response to what I said. First of all, I don't care if Georgia Tech was involved. This is a scenario where some programs are in scramble mode to find a recruit to fill a role, and a lesser player, like Blair, could be in higher demand due the situation I mentioned. Besides, Georgia Tech never offered. Maybe, they wanted to bring him in for a visit prior to offering him, but they didn't offer, nonetheless.

Blair could very well turn into a productive player and potential, NBA prospect. But, I wouldn't bank on it and I also wouldn't bank on him doing much his first season at Georgetown. He's probably more likely to be a transfer candidate than him doing big things his freshman season for the Hoyas.
Red Rooster

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:09 pm

Red Rooster wrote:
I'm sure that was posted in response to what I said. First of all, I don't care if Georgia Tech was involved. This is a scenario where some programs are in scramble mode to find a recruit to fill a role, and a lesser player, like Blair, could be in higher demand due the situation I mentioned. Besides, Georgia Tech never offered. Maybe, they wanted to bring him in for a visit prior to offering him, but they didn't offer, nonetheless.

Blair could very well turn into a productive player and potential, NBA prospect. But, I wouldn't bank on it and I also wouldn't bank on him doing much his first season at Georgetown. He's probably more likely to be a transfer candidate than him doing big things his freshman season for the Hoyas.

Honestly RR why the need to pee on the Hoya cheerios? How the hell can any of us know for sure how these kids are going to pan out until they actually start playing at the college level. Baldwin wasn't a top 100, neither was DiVincenzo. Both came in are two of the better young guards in the league. Darrun Hilliard was the supposed worst recruit in a Nova 4 man class a few years back. The other 3 transferred out and DH just finished his 2nd NBA season. This Hoya recruit is a 6'4" PG guard who can make plays. Sounds good to me. But either way we will not know what Ewing has until he suits it up and starts playing with the other G'town pieces.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board