Crawfish - Ewing Lands First Commitment

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Patrick Ewing just landed his first commitment

Postby Red Rooster » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:49 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
Red Rooster wrote:
I'm sure that was posted in response to what I said. First of all, I don't care if Georgia Tech was involved. This is a scenario where some programs are in scramble mode to find a recruit to fill a role, and a lesser player, like Blair, could be in higher demand due the situation I mentioned. Besides, Georgia Tech never offered. Maybe, they wanted to bring him in for a visit prior to offering him, but they didn't offer, nonetheless.

Blair could very well turn into a productive player and potential, NBA prospect. But, I wouldn't bank on it and I also wouldn't bank on him doing much his first season at Georgetown. He's probably more likely to be a transfer candidate than him doing big things his freshman season for the Hoyas.

Honestly RR why the need to pee on the Hoya cheerios? How the hell can any of us know for sure how these kids are going to pan out until they actually start playing at the college level. Baldwin wasn't a top 100, neither was DiVincenzo. Both came in are two of the better young guards in the league. Darrun Hilliard was the supposed worst recruit in a Nova 4 man class a few years back. The other 3 transferred out and DH just finished his 2nd NBA season. This Hoya recruit is a 6'4" PG guard who can make plays. Sounds good to me. But either way we will not know what Ewing has until he suits it up and starts playing with the other G'town pieces.

First of all, I have an opinion like you and he. Secondly, DiVincenzo was a top 100 recruit. Rivals and 247 are your best friends.

How often do you hear or see stories where a low-level recruit ends up with a high-major and he turns out to be a bonafide balla ala Hilliard? It happens, but it's not often the case. The worst thing is expecting it to happen. If it happens, then kudos to the staff for not only finding a diamond in the rough, but also for aiding the player in improving their game to be able to play at such a high-level.

By the way, if you read my first response on this thread, then you'd see my stance on this recruit. "We don't know whether he's a good get or not." We don't know! That's a fact. But, chances are he'll be an average player than he'll be above-average or a stud. That's the point I was trying to make in this thread.
Red Rooster

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:04 pm

Red Rooster wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:
Red Rooster wrote:
I'm sure that was posted in response to what I said. First of all, I don't care if Georgia Tech was involved. This is a scenario where some programs are in scramble mode to find a recruit to fill a role, and a lesser player, like Blair, could be in higher demand due the situation I mentioned. Besides, Georgia Tech never offered. Maybe, they wanted to bring him in for a visit prior to offering him, but they didn't offer, nonetheless.

Blair could very well turn into a productive player and potential, NBA prospect. But, I wouldn't bank on it and I also wouldn't bank on him doing much his first season at Georgetown. He's probably more likely to be a transfer candidate than him doing big things his freshman season for the Hoyas.

Honestly RR why the need to pee on the Hoya cheerios? How the hell can any of us know for sure how these kids are going to pan out until they actually start playing at the college level. Baldwin wasn't a top 100, neither was DiVincenzo. Both came in are two of the better young guards in the league. Darrun Hilliard was the supposed worst recruit in a Nova 4 man class a few years back. The other 3 transferred out and DH just finished his 2nd NBA season. This Hoya recruit is a 6'4" PG guard who can make plays. Sounds good to me. But either way we will not know what Ewing has until he suits it up and starts playing with the other G'town pieces.

First of all, I have an opinion like you and he. Secondly, DiVincenzo was a top 100 recruit. Rivals and 247 are your best friends.

How often do you hear or see stories where a low-level recruit ends up with a high-major and he turns out to be a bonafide balla ala Hilliard? It happens, but it's not often the case. The worst thing is expecting it to happen. If it happens, then kudos to the staff for not only finding a diamond in the rough, but also for aiding the player in improving their game to be able to play at such a high-level.

By the way, if you read my first response on this thread, then you'd see my stance on this recruit. "We don't know whether he's a good get or not." We don't know! That's a fact. But, chances are he'll be an average player than he'll be above-average or a stud. That's the point I was trying to make in this thread.

When I looked it up, I found that DiVincenzo was #120 on Rivals and #123 on 247.
Bill Marsh

Postby Red Rooster » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:27 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:When I looked it up, I found that DiVincenzo was #120 on Rivals and #123 on 247.

#110 per 247. National Compilation was #123. Regardless, semantics. He was basically a top 100 recruit.
Red Rooster

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:46 am

Red Rooster wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:When I looked it up, I found that DiVincenzo was #120 on Rivals and #123 on 247.

#110 per 247. National Compilation was #123. Regardless, semantics. He was basically a top 100 recruit.

Semantis = wrong. I'm basically Frank Sinatra in the shower.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:08 am

Red Rooster wrote:

Of course you are entitled to your opinion. But let's just say that had I not seen your name attached to it I would have sworn this was a typical Stever submission. It goes something like: "don't get too excited Hoyas fans, this kid probably isn't going to be much of a player." It may be accurate but it is unnecessary IMO. Sure you can say it and it might end up proven correct, but it doesn't make it any less than d!ck comment.

Whenever I see people cling to the recruiting rankings, I think of Dom Cheek and Darrun Hillard. One a top 25 kid who struggled at this level and the other a 100+ who became a pro.

And as previously said, Top 100 means 100 and below. DD was not top 100, nor was Baldwin. All I say is let the kid get on the floor before throwing cold water on Ewing for his recruiting prowess.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Red Rooster » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:25 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
Red Rooster wrote:

Of course you are entitled to your opinion. But let's just say that had I not seen your name attached to it I would have sworn this was a typical Stever submission. It goes something like: "don't get too excited Hoyas fans, this kid probably isn't going to be much of a player." It may be accurate but it is unnecessary IMO. Sure you can say it and it might end up proven correct, but it doesn't make it any less than d!ck comment.

Whenever I see people cling to the recruiting rankings, I think of Dom Cheek and Darrun Hillard. One a top 25 kid who struggled at this level and the other a 100+ who became a pro.

And as previously said, Top 100 means 100 and below. DD was not top 100, nor was Baldwin. All I say is let the kid get on the floor before throwing cold water on Ewing for his recruiting prowess.

You say it's "unnecessary," and make your claims and beliefs what I'm doing. I say, you're making assumptions and not the one who determines what's unnecessary or not. You have your opinion and I have mine.

Okay, DiVincenzo wasn't a top 100 recruit. Really? He was a top 110 recruit, based on 247. Semantics. We can play this game all day. Baldwin was a top 125 recruit per Rivals. I do believe both played above their rankings as freshmen (since, neither was expected to be major contributors as rookies, although DiVincenzo was a redshirt freshman). Baldwin was also high-end 3-star and DiVncenzo was a low-end 4-star.

Who said anything about rankings being the end all, be all? I surely didn't (as, I know better). That's a fallacy. I said more times than not a lower rated (particularly a low-end 3 star and lower) aren't gonna turn out to be above-average or a stud on a high-major team. You're giving me small samples, while I could give you large samples of things not working out for those type of recruits. This new recruit for the Hoyas is definitely a situation where certain players are in higher demand because a handful of high-major's are in scramble mode to land a player at a position for need. If it was a scenario, where he may have been in a quandary to make the grade and then schools found out he would be fine, then there would be more bigger offers at his door. The only high-major to offer was Georgetown, while Georgia Tech was hovering. Again, that's not to say, he won't be a contributor. That's just to say pump your brakes on expecting anything from him. Certainly, not to expect much his initial season. He also played for a well-known AAU team (CIA Bounce), so it's not like there is limited exposure. Maybe, he slipped through the cracks; maybe, he didn't.

Lastly, you continue to ignore where I said, "We don't know if he (Blair) is good get or not." If you wanna dispute that quote, then fine, do so. But, it seems you're saying the same thing in some ways, but want to be argumentative based off an opinion I have where there are facts and thought out logic.

PS, the Blair kid is top 200-225 recruit, as I wanna be technical for a couple of you (#212 on 247, whilst his National Compilation is #227). Again, it could certainly be a case of where he's being severely underrated as a recruit, but chances are he'll be an average contributor than he'll be an above-average or stud. Mainly, I don't think he'll be a factor his rookie season for the Hoyas. If you read my response to 'hooligan, then you would've noticed that is what I initially mentioned. If you think Blair will be a solid contributor his freshman season, then so be it. But, I don't think so nor would I bank on him being an NBA prospect. By saying, "not banking" on something doesn't mean I don't believe it'll happen. It means someone shouldn't look for or expect it to happen.
Red Rooster

Postby CrawfishBucket » Mon May 08, 2017 10:36 am

Jet915 wrote:Is this a bad sign for Tremont?

Can't wait for the young man. Tremont is taking care of himself and so is Georgetown.

Ewing just signed another PG.

Trey Dickerson. Grad Transfer from South Dakota. Averaged 10 points and 3 assists per game

Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby CrawfishBucket » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

Ewing just got a transfer swingman from William & Mary, Gregory Malinowski. The kid looks like a player.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby Red Rooster » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:03 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:Ewing just got a transfer swingman from William & Mary, Gregory Malinowski. The kid looks like a player.

What is that based on? I'm just curious, as his stats doesn't quite scream a "player." Based on what I recently looked up, he averaged less than 8ppg for a 17-14 team in the CAA. He's also not a distributor, as he only averaged 1.5 assists per game. He only shot 41.5% from the field, although he did have a decent percentage (40%) from behind the arc.

I'm not being condescending, but I'm wondering how you came to the conclusion that he "looks like a player." Maybe, his stats aren't telling me everything.
Red Rooster

Postby XtoDC » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:47 pm

Does Ewing have a full coaching staff yet?
XtoDC

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board