X, B, and UD next season??

The home for Big East hoops

Re: X, B, and UD next season??

Postby sandw04 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:39 am

CFA Jay wrote:
UD_Earl wrote:
sandw04 wrote:Yet another contradictory newspaper article. I am not saying the NY Post is incorrect, but why are they getting the scoop? Much of the decision will be made by Fox. Again, I'm not disputing the article, but I am questioning why so much belief that it is the final word? Any final decision may or not be made, but I seriously doubt any newspaper "in the know" would be putting exact information out there at this time.

I still believe that Fox wants at least 12 teams for next season.

Because Fox/Murdoch own the Post - that is why.

still dont buy it.

Fox sells entertainment. Newspapers sell controversy, speculation, and opinion as well as news. Are all Fox outlets reporting this?
sandw04

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby yeti47 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:44 am

The only way i see Creighton not going to the big east this year is they have reservations about the baseball league...Creighton is the host of the cws and with 6 team baseball conference...might be a reason to hold off. But I'm no source just speculating
yeti47

Postby Muddy Waters » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:58 am

xu95 wrote:
I also find it interesting he doesn't list a source, or even say anything about an unnamed source.

He just says it as if it is fact and everyone should have already known it.

List of assets owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation: (Wikipedia)

• 20th Century Fox Television
• Fox Broadcasting Company
• Fox International Channels
• Fox International Channels Italy
• Fox International Channels Portugal
• Fox International Channels Philippines
• Fox Channels Benelux
• Fox Sports Australia
• Fox Telecolombia
• Fox Television Stations
• Fox Television Studios
New York Post

"Hey Lenny - I've got one for you."

"Thanks, Mr. Murdoch."

Butler, Dayton, Xavier to join next season (Lenn Robbins, New York Post - March 13, 2013)

The Big East cleared its last hurdle Tuesday with the announcement it had reached an agreement with Notre Dame that allows the Irish to leave July 1 for the ACC. So where does the Big East and the yet-to-be named conference that will be anchored by Cincinnati and Connecticut go?

Dayton will join Butler and Xavier next season in the new Big East, which is said to be looking at corporate offices in the metropolitan area.

Creighton and St. Louis come on board for 2014-15.

List of Newspapers in the United States by Circulation (Wikipedia)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you honestly think that Rupert Murdoch is going to allow a competitor to break the news ?
NEW BIG EAST IN 2014-15

ButlerCreightonDaytonDePaulGeorgetownMarquette
ProvidenceSaint Louis Seton HallSt. John’sVillanovaXavier
Muddy Waters

Postby ta111 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:02 pm

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but another reason they may wait on Creighton until 2014 is that Creighton and Marquette are already scheduled to play in the same preseason tourney next year and 2 teams from the same conf are prohibited by NCAA rules from playing in same tourney. My guess is the deals and contracts are signed and sealed and it would a huge pain to back out.
ta111

Postby CFA Jay » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:04 pm

ta111 wrote:Don't know if this has been posted yet, but another reason they may wait on Creighton until 2014 is that Creighton and Marquette are already scheduled to play in the same preseason tourney next year and 2 teams from the same conf are prohibited by NCAA rules from playing in same tourney. My guess is the deals and contracts are signed and sealed and it would a huge pain to back out.

i dont think that rule applies if they had agreed to play while in different conferences. i think this happened to west virginia.
CFA Jay

Postby cm5yz6 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:12 pm

Muddy Waters wrote:
xu95 wrote:
I also find it interesting he doesn't list a source, or even say anything about an unnamed source.

Do you honestly think that Rupert Murdoch is going to allow a competitor to break the news ?

I honestly do not think Murdoch cares, nor is he involved in every story that comes out of his news sources. TO be honest, what would make for more intrigue and more hits on his different outlets would be conflicting reports between them (then they all get read and discussed).
cm5yz6

Postby yeti47 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:21 pm

It is getting clicks...so the writer is doing their job...accuracy...I'll believe thamel or mcmurphy first
yeti47

Postby xu95 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:25 pm

Muddy Waters wrote:
xu95 wrote:

List of assets owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation: (Wikipedia)

• 20th Century Fox Television
• Fox Broadcasting Company
• Fox International Channels
• Fox International Channels Italy
• Fox International Channels Portugal
• Fox International Channels Philippines
• Fox Channels Benelux
• Fox Sports Australia
• Fox Telecolombia
• Fox Television Stations
• Fox Television Studios
New York Post

"Hey Lenny - I've got one for you."

"Thanks, Mr. Murdoch."

Butler, Dayton, Xavier to join next season (Lenn Robbins, New York Post - March 13, 2013)

The Big East cleared its last hurdle Tuesday with the announcement it had reached an agreement with Notre Dame that allows the Irish to leave July 1 for the ACC. So where does the Big East and the yet-to-be named conference that will be anchored by Cincinnati and Connecticut go?

Dayton will join Butler and Xavier next season in the new Big East, which is said to be looking at corporate offices in the metropolitan area.

Creighton and St. Louis come on board for 2014-15.

List of Newspapers in the United States by Circulation (Wikipedia)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great. Another messageboard has now been ruined.
xu95

Postby yorost » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:26 pm

Not sure I've ever seen a forum post look like tabloid, before.
yorost

Postby BillikensWin » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:28 pm

X- Marks the Top wrote:I understand that dayton is closer than creighton and St. Louis. That is a benefit. Yes I agree you guys manage to somehow sell out your arena which is pretty crazy given your history as of late but is a very good thing. On the other hand will teams from the big 7 sell out their arenas when the dayton flyers come to town? I'm not seeing it. How many tournaments has dayton been two in the last ten years? Tourney wins? Not trying to knock your program here just trying to unravel the facts. Also I am a X fan but not your typical,"I hate dayton attitude". Creighton, the last ten years has better success than I guess dayton and St. Louis. I guess it has a brand name in college basketball, it reminds me more of everyone saying Cinderella around their name. I'm not overly impressed with creighton, especially the location. The billikens I like a lot, because the city and because I thought they were on the rise. Looking at it now, they lost majerus, now have crews I think, he is very in impressive in almost every department. Not trying to belittle anyone here even though it may sound like I am, but the likes of xavier and butler blend in very well with the likes of Georgetown, Marquette, and Villanova. I guess you could say they are more than just a drop in the bucket. McDermott leaves what then? St. Louis loses plenty of talent this year, and probably ends their two year tourney run. So with that said, I would have to say dayton maybe the best fit. They all pretty much bring the exact same thing. Dayton is just closer. Plus I would still like to beat up on dayton every year. Jimmy carter baby. But do I think dayton deserves it? Absolutely not.

St. Louis has their best team coming back...next year. 3 players leave this year's team. I get what you're saying, but you're a year early.
Saint Louis University: Proud Members of the Big Atlantic Valley Conference
BillikensWin

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board