X, B, and UD next season??

The home for Big East hoops

Re: X, B, and UD next season??

Postby ta111 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:50 pm

yeti47 wrote:It is getting clicks...so the writer is doing their job...accuracy...I'll believe thamel or mcmurphy first

Funny you should say that. Thamel tweeted a few days ago that the 10th team was between Dayton and Creighton. I like Thamel and think he is a good source of info. His tweet gives legitimacy to the Post article.
ta111

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Hoops » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:53 pm

Here are my thoughts and I apologize for length. (Slow Day at work and currently watching the Big East Tournament).

I’ve obsessed for so many months on the BE break-up, the C7 and whose in or not in, that I should’ve given up Sloth for Lent because I’m sure not productive at work and certainly not now. Especailly with new interest in the BE Tournament..

During the past weeks having bit on media articles, posters possessed a bible full of passion in boards and threads where all but acknowledged, endorsed, accepted or “mostly” agreed that Creighton would be #10 (location aside). And whether their posts were from rumor or source, I realize its opinion and reliability (even in media) is obviously debatable.

Well, because its been prolonged, I forgot and bought into the hype, because I wanted to believe Creighton was in. Especially right after CU’s conference and tournament championship that ended the season long rumors regarding Creighton’s departure.

Unlike BE rivalries respectfully ending, all MVC conference teams were putting extra bullets in the chamber when playing Creighton this year that went beyond merely trying to take down a rival, CU's national rankings, or Doug McDermott. Rather, it was understood this may have been the last opportunity to finally beat Creighton. And in the end Creighton’s kids took the shots and prevailed and who wouldn’t be proud of that ending and want it to end that way now and not later. So adding the Big East hype blurred my vision and speculation became reality. And that's what I get for losing objectivity.

Its been a very complex process since it began, and hats off to the C7’s ability to keep it under wraps and actually moving forward like they have.
For me personally, and summarizing what I’ve read, there just doesn’t seem to be enough superlatives to describe the extreme highs and lows the months created. Including today. And i feel as though I'm waiting for selection Sunday to finally reveal whether we are in or not.
Its been March madness all year. I don’t remember a period in time when I have been less productive for so long.. Talk about drama! (Good debates and passion though :D)

I don’t speak for Creighton, I do believe that if Creighton has to wait, the fans would acknowledge and congratulate the first 10 in. (whoever they are - now, next hour, tomorrow or next week or until the decision is finally announced ;) ). At least i'd hope they would. And whatever the outcome, they’d quickly accept and move beyond the disappointment.

And while I'd rather be a proud member of the first 10 into the Big East and what will be a great conference (and who wouldn’t), I have to admit, that maybe with the recent article, I’ve hit my limit and now resigned that the only report that matters, will come from the C7 decision makers (and hopefully soon) who are way above my pay-grade, and until that time it’ll continue to be reported by various outlets that are well below grade who need to sell papers in the interim.
(And give us all something to talk about and debate 8-) )
Hoops

Postby Jet915 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:08 pm

Muddy Waters wrote:
xu95 wrote:
I also find it interesting he doesn't list a source, or even say anything about an unnamed source.

He just says it as if it is fact and everyone should have already known it.

List of assets owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation: (Wikipedia)

• 20th Century Fox Television
• Fox Broadcasting Company
• Fox International Channels
• Fox International Channels Italy
• Fox International Channels Portugal
• Fox International Channels Philippines
• Fox Channels Benelux
• Fox Sports Australia
• Fox Telecolombia
• Fox Television Stations
• Fox Television Studios
New York Post

"Hey Lenny - I've got one for you."

"Thanks, Mr. Murdoch."

Butler, Dayton, Xavier to join next season (Lenn Robbins, New York Post - March 13, 2013)

The Big East cleared its last hurdle Tuesday with the announcement it had reached an agreement with Notre Dame that allows the Irish to leave July 1 for the ACC. So where does the Big East and the yet-to-be named conference that will be anchored by Cincinnati and Connecticut go?

Dayton will join Butler and Xavier next season in the new Big East, which is said to be looking at corporate offices in the metropolitan area.

Creighton and St. Louis come on board for 2014-15.

List of Newspapers in the United States by Circulation (Wikipedia)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you honestly think that Rupert Murdoch is going to allow a competitor to break the news ?

Uh oh, he found the site. :roll:
Jet915

Postby Masterofreality » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:12 pm

ta111 wrote:Don't know if this has been posted yet, but another reason they may wait on Creighton until 2014 is that Creighton and Marquette are already scheduled to play in the same preseason tourney next year and 2 teams from the same conf are prohibited by NCAA rules from playing in same tourney. My guess is the deals and contracts are signed and sealed and it would a huge pain to back out.

Irrelevant. Xavier and Villanova are also in the same early season tournament in the Bahamas.

I have very deep and good sources at XU. One of them told me today that he would be "shocked" if this news were true.

it also doesn't fit with the expressed desire to not "over-raid" the A-10 in one year. If dayon was included, that would be 3 at one time added to Temple and Charlotte leaving. There was a statement to me that there was a desire to allow the A10 to take stock and adjust after XU & Butler.

I'm not in the halls of power and things may have changed in the past 36 hours, but I'm not buying this NY Post story. It wouldn't be the first time I've been shocked however. Money changes everything.....and quickly.
Masterofreality

Postby rove02 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:26 pm

Jet915 wrote:Uh oh, he found the site. :roll:

Just wondering, how you know about Muddy as a Creighton fan?
rove02

Postby ljay » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:30 pm

This FoxSports writer says Creighton on the same day as the NY Post article says Dayton. Who is right?

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/big-east-tournament-final-farewell-031213
ljay

Postby Jet915 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:36 pm

rove02 wrote:
Jet915 wrote:Uh oh, he found the site. :roll:

Just wondering, how you know about Muddy as a Creighton fan?

I've ventured on the A-10 site a few times....
Jet915

Postby Flyer11 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:37 pm

ljay wrote:This FoxSports writer says Creighton on the same day as the NY Post article says Dayton. Who is right?

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebasketball/story/big-east-tournament-final-farewell-031213

I say neither. One (Robbins) seems to be making a statement without citing any sources (even anonymous). The other (Fox) seems to be rehashing things that have already been stated.

Time will tell. As a Flyers fan, I am still really skeptical until something is announced.

Flyer11
Flyer11

Postby BillEsq » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:38 pm

ljay wrote:This FoxSports writer says Creighton on the same day as the NY Post article says Dayton. Who is right?

Both... were going to 12 boys... just relax
BillEsq

Postby mel ott » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:54 pm

Masterofreality wrote:
ta111 wrote:Don't know if this has been posted yet, but another reason they may wait on Creighton until 2014 is that Creighton and Marquette are already scheduled to play in the same preseason tourney next year and 2 teams from the same conf are prohibited by NCAA rules from playing in same tourney. My guess is the deals and contracts are signed and sealed and it would a huge pain to back out.

Irrelevant. Xavier and Villanova are also in the same early season tournament in the Bahamas.

I have very deep and good sources at XU. One of them told me today that he would be "shocked" if this news were true.

it also doesn't fit with the expressed desire to not "over-raid" the A-10 in one year. If dayon was included, that would be 3 at one time added to Temple and Charlotte leaving. There was a statement to me that there was a desire to allow the A10 to take stock and adjust after XU & Butler.

I'm not in the halls of power and things may have changed in the past 36 hours, but I'm not buying this NY Post story. It wouldn't be the first time I've been shocked however. Money changes everything.....and quickly.

I agree. Also, CU has $50k buyout vs $2mm. Doesn't make sense. As a Jays fan, none of us want to go through the Valley one more time. It would also be nice, if Doug comes back, for the Big East school fans to see him play. The big prize is getting in and hopefully the same 5 talked about early get in. We would just like to get seated at the table early.. we're hungry.
mel ott

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board