X, B, and UD next season??

The home for Big East hoops

Re: X, B, and UD next season??

Postby mel ott » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:06 pm

BillEsq wrote:Playing devils advocate it does make sense. X, B and D for 2013 and Slu and R for 2014. This was one of the rumored scenarios. While i personally think Creighton is in and I personally would prefer them in. It is still quite possible that they decision was that they were too far out to be included. The biggest thing against Creighton is that they were too far away. Second they were coming up from the MVC. While a nice midmajor conference it just simply isn't held to the same esteem as the A-10. The powers that be might have decided that it was too risky to take Creighton up so fast. Finally Dayton is in a major Fox Sports region. Because of this Fox may want to have a team that they are more familiar with and think that they can use to pair there new FS1 and FS2 to a local powerful Fox Ohio. So there are three plausible reasons why Creighton might get left out completely let alone in 2013.

That said i think every Bluejay fan out there knows that i would prefer Creighton in. I just would not be at all shocked if they do not get in and i think it is silly to thing that they are far from a given. All we have are rumors to go off of. At this point there is 0 guarantee that X or B are in. Just about every possible scenario has been rumored to be occurring. ESPN, CBS, the POST and Jersey Guy have all been wrong more times that not. Yes sooner or later one of these rumors is likely to be true. But don't be blind to the fact that your school might not get in.

Every possible scenario? It seems you have covered them all too. If the Jays don't get in, you get credit for calling it first. If we do get in, at least we knew you wanted us in. That's very comforting. Thanks for the compliment re:a "nice midmajor conference". That attitude is exactly what you get from the BCS conferences usually. They judge you by conference and not the team to justify their program's status. CU and other "mid majors including those being added to this league know all too well that attitude. I believe if you look back teh Jays have done just fine against the BCS teams when we had the opportunity to play them (believe 6-0 vs the big 10 the last two year- though Neb is hard pressed to be thought of as BCS) as well as the A-10 ( which teams I like). Rick Majerus was very interested in getting in to the MVC over the years as well.
mel ott

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby buckswope » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:16 pm

BillEsq wrote:UD the Great Midwest and the MCC conference were not midmajors.

Let the record show the Great Midwest was consistently a top 6 conference (no thanks to Dayton mind you, who were the only Great Midwest team who never made the NCAA tournament), while the MCC was never a top 10 conference and was the epitome of Mid-Major.

MCC
1988-89 7 teams, 2 bids, 1 NCAA tourney win
1989-90 8 teams, 2 bids, 3 NCAA tourney wins
1990-91 8 teams, 1 bid, 1 NCAA tourney win

Great Midwest
1991-92 6 teams, 3 bids, 7 NCAA tourney wins
1992-93 6 teams, 3 bids, 3 NCAA tourney wins
1993-94 7 teams, 4 bids, 2 NCAA tourney wins
1994-95 7 teams, 3 bids, 4 NCAA tourney wins

I personally respect the Dayton program and the passion of their fanbase, but I also understand how fans of Marquette/Xavier/Butler (i.e. the programs that have advanced significantly since the MCC days) look down on Dayton and SLU for their lack of NCAA tournament success.
buckswope

Postby hoch21 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:41 pm

As a UD fan I can see why there are concerns. When they joined the GMW, they were in no shape ready to make the move. Today, their facilities, fan base and team can hang with most teams. 8 of their losses this year were within a few points and a young coach is to blame for some of them. Their recruiting has improved a TON lately and have a good young coach. The only team I can see them not competing against from day one is Georgetown. All the rest they should be able to win at HOME. Talk of a new arena and their incoming recruiting class next year is very high. I think if they can get into the Big East, the highly ranked players in Ohio in and specifically around Dayton will now choose Dayton. You play in a top ranked conference, the best basketball conference in America on, National TV almost every game, why leave except for a handful of schools?

Good luck to UD, SLU, Butler, Creighton and X (Although I still hate them) I think this will be a wonderful conference in the future and it will creat great rivalries.
hoch21

Postby BillEsq » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:42 pm

Mell, just to clear up any misunderstandings that was a clearly labeled Devil's advocate post. Most people on here know that those are not my personal feelings towards Creighton, anybody who has read any of the soccer threads knows that i think highly of Creighton. I was saying it more from a perspective of how Creighton could be left out of the 10. I know people are out there like that, I am not one, hence why it was a Devils Advocate post.

I hope my comments did not upset you to much. That said i would not put too much stake in Majerus's comments everybody in STL knows the context of those comments. Majerus did not like having to bus to Olean and wanted a charter plane. Slu would not give him a charter plane and made the team bus to Olean. So his comments were in the context of if we are going to bus to all the games we might as well be in the MVC.

Also note Majerus is like Calipari put a mike in front of them and if you dont like what they are saying just wait around they will eventually say something you like.
BillEsq

Postby BillEsq » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:58 pm

buckswope wrote:
BillEsq wrote:UD the Great Midwest and the MCC conference were not midmajors.

Let the record show the Great Midwest was consistently a top 6 conference (no thanks to Dayton mind you, who were the only Great Midwest team who never made the NCAA tournament), while the MCC was never a top 10 conference and was the epitome of Mid-Major.

MCC
1988-89 7 teams, 2 bids, 1 NCAA tourney win
1989-90 8 teams, 2 bids, 3 NCAA tourney wins
1990-91 8 teams, 1 bid, 1 NCAA tourney win

Great Midwest
1991-92 6 teams, 3 bids, 7 NCAA tourney wins
1992-93 6 teams, 3 bids, 3 NCAA tourney wins
1993-94 7 teams, 4 bids, 2 NCAA tourney wins
1994-95 7 teams, 3 bids, 4 NCAA tourney wins

I personally respect the Dayton program and the passion of their fanbase, but I also understand how fans of Marquette/Xavier/Butler (i.e. the programs that have advanced significantly since the MCC days) look down on Dayton and SLU for their lack of NCAA tournament success.

Buck you do know that Butler until just recently had just barely more NCAA's then Slu and less then Dayton while playing in the Horizon.
Also MCC did have Marquette, Xavier, Slu, Dayton and NotreDame, as far as basing your logic simply on bid's that is faulty. I should remind you that your talking about a totally different time period this is way before BCS... your talking big 8, the southwest, the metro, granted the top half of the MCC did leave to merge with a few independents to form the Great Midwest but your comparing ancient apples to modern day oranges by talking about bids.
BillEsq

Postby yorost » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:05 pm

Notre Dame basketball was not in the MCC, Big East was the end of their independence.
yorost

Postby BillEsq » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:17 pm

yorost wrote:Notre Dame basketball was not in the MCC, Big East was the end of their independence.

I stand corrected ND was in MCC in all sports but basketball and football. I'm sure the swimming competition was high major :lol:
BillEsq

Postby Flyer11 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:19 pm

Katz just said on ESPN that announcement about commissioner and new members should come within the next 7-10 days. Said that new members are likely Butler and Xavier and then "possibly" Dayton, St. Louis, and Creighton.

Not sure if he meant all three or just one of the three.

Flyer11
Flyer11

Postby BillEsq » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:20 pm

Flyer11 wrote:Katz just said on ESPN that announcement about commissioner and new members should come within the next 7-10 days. Said that new members are likely Butler and Xavier and then "possibly" Dayton, St. Louis, and Creighton.

Not sure if he meant all three or just one of the three.

Flyer11

The question is does Katz know what he meant?
BillEsq

Postby jkc_dawgs » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:43 pm

Andy Katz @ESPNAndyKatz
Catholic 7 Big East prez and ADs met today in NYC, discussed membership, search firm for new commish; announcement of new members 7-10 days.
"I'm not coming out" -Rotnei Clarke

Go Dawgs
jkc_dawgs

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board