Would Miller Have Left Dayton If They Were In The BE?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Would Miller Have Left Dayton If They Were In The BE?

Postby _lh » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:46 pm

WSU is still available. No need to add anyone right now.
Xavier
_lh

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby CrawfishBucket » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:03 pm

_lh wrote:WSU is still available. No need to add anyone right now.

I know the MVC didn't have an exit fee. Any idea how much it would cost to get UConn or WSU from the AAC? I seem to remember West Virginia paying a kings ransom to get into the Big 12.
That's really not the issue.
This is akin to a Monopoly game. If the NBE doesn't buy the attractive properties when they are available (such as a Top 10 team) the gap narrows if/when our competition does. It still causes a shift whether the NBE acts or not.
Believe me, I'm a gung ho as the next guy but I also acknowledge college sports for the system it is. These shifts around the college landscape impact the conference.
If the Big East is not going to expand its not going to expand. That's fine. I'm trying to understand the long term vision.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:12 pm

Remember last year when we had some Dayton troll posing as a Hoya fan.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby _lh » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:13 pm

You are not trying to understand anything. You are a jealous UD fan calling the BE the NBE. The old BE ceased to exist in 1995 and was changed drastically again in 2005. The BE now more closely resembles the BE as it was in 1985 than what it became in 2005.

If the BE ever wants WSU, UD, VCU or Gonzaga, they can get them at anytime. The BE doesn't want them and probably never will. The BE doesn't need to expand and certainly has no need to add those schools if it ever wanted to expand.
Xavier
_lh

Postby CrawfishBucket » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:15 pm

DudeAnon wrote:Remember last year when we had some Dayton troll posing as a Hoya fan.

Believe me, you can ignore my post or call me a troll. Feel free to ask me questions if you're that worried about your virgin eyes reading my opinions.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby _lh » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:23 pm

DudeAnon wrote:Remember last year when we had some Dayton troll posing as a Hoya fan.

He's clearly a UD troll and should be banned from the board.
Xavier
_lh

Postby scoscox » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:24 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:
I know the MVC didn't have an exit fee. Any idea how much it would cost to get UConn or WSU from the AAC? I seem to remember West Virginia paying a kings ransom to get into the Big 12.
That's really not the issue.
This is akin to a Monopoly game. If the NBE doesn't buy the attractive properties when they are available (such as a Top 10 team) the gap narrows if/when our competition does. It still causes a shift whether the NBE acts or not.
Believe me, I'm a gung ho as the next guy but I also acknowledge college sports for the system it is. These shifts around the college landscape impact the conference.
If the Big East is not going to expand its not going to expand. That's fine. I'm trying to understand the long term vision.

It's not going to expand. There you go. The long-term vision is currently in place operating at this very moment. 10 schools focused primarily on basketball playing some of the best basketball in the country. It's pretty simple. The long-term vision is probably as fulfilled at this moment as it ever has or will be and I personally, as well as a vast majority of fans of member schools, am very happy and excited about what we have.

Would you be this concerned if you were the fan of a team in the B1G, ACC, Big 12, Pac-12, or SEC? The BE has usually finished around 3rd of those 7. None of those conferences are panicking that the AAC is picking up WSU.
scoscox

Postby CrawfishBucket » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:26 pm

_lh wrote:You are not trying to understand anything. You are a jealous UD fan calling the BE the NBE. The old BE ceased to exist in 1995 and was changed drastically again in 2005. The BE now more closely resembles the BE as it was in 1985 than what it became in 2005.

If the BE ever wants WSU, UD, VCU or Gonzaga, they can get them at anytime. The BE doesn't want them and probably never will. The BE doesn't need to expand and certainly has no need to add those schools if it ever wanted to expand.

Excuse me for your taking offense to my saying "NBE" when the conference looks remarkably different from what it was when I became a fan in the mid 80s, living in Dale City Virginia. Those were good times. I actually saw David Robinson play HS basketball. Those were magic times because he came on the heels of Ewing. I would have never predicted that. College basketball was MUCH different then. It was an era that the giants still roamed. The game has changed with the players. This is a great conference but its not the same conference. I'm pleased that Ewing has taken the job at Georgetown because I'd love to get back to that, even though I know there is no going back.
There is nothing wrong with being the new Big East. It's just different. It doesn't make it more or less. This incarnation just came after the ones that made us stay up late at night listening to recorded interviews for the 5th time. It was just a different generation.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby CrawfishBucket » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:28 pm

scoscox wrote:It's not going to expand. There you go. The long-term vision is currently in place operating at this very moment. 10 schools focused primarily on basketball playing some of the best basketball in the country. It's pretty simple. The long-term vision is probably as fulfilled at this moment as it ever has or will be and I personally, as well as a vast majority of fans of member schools, am very happy and excited about what we have.

Would you be this concerned if you were the fan of a team in the B1G, ACC, Big 12, Pac-12, or SEC? The BE has usually finished around 3rd of those 7. None of those conferences are panicking that the AAC is picking up WSU.

I accept that. My above post touched a bit on how that's a difference. Thanks for the reply.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby scoscox » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:40 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:
Excuse me for your taking offense to my saying "NBE" when the conference looks remarkably different from what it was when I became a fan in the mid 80s, living in Dale City Virginia. Those were good times. I actually saw David Robinson play HS basketball. Those were magic times because he came on the heels of Ewing. I would have never predicted that. College basketball was MUCH different then. It was an era that the giants still roamed. The game has changed with the players. This is a great conference but its not the same conference. I'm pleased that Ewing has taken the job at Georgetown because I'd love to get back to that, even though I know there is no going back.
There is nothing wrong with being the new Big East. It's just different. It doesn't make it more or less. This incarnation just came after the ones that made us stay up late at night listening to recorded interviews for the 5th time. It was just a different generation.

The ACC looks pretty different as well. No one's calling it the NACC. Most of the giants of your 80's BE are still here. GTown, St. John's, Nova, Seton Hall. Basically, just lost Syracuse, Pitt and UCONN and replaced them with us, Butler and Creighton.

Mainly I see NBE used by disgruntled UC fans to belittle the conference, but even they don't use it anymore. Maybe it was helpful the first few years after the move, but I think it's past time people started using Big East freely at this point.
scoscox

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board