Would Miller Have Left Dayton If They Were In The BE?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby CrawfishBucket » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:42 am

I think this is a relevant question if the conference ever looks to expand again.
Is the NBE waiting for a program to 'stand out' before the push to move off 10? Or is 10 a fixed number?
I've gone on record saying the Big East should grow when its at its strongest (which is probably now). If you're ever going to grow, its better to do it with top talent then schools that have potential. For that reason, I thought Wichita State and Gonzaga were no-brainers. Those are legit basketball brands.
Wichita has a rockstar coach and fits perfectly next to Creighton. That was a huge missed opportunity. As a result of not taking the initiative to extend the gap between the NBE and the rest, that gap has narrowed a bit now. I see the opportunity to grab Few and Gonzaga in a similar light.
With Archie Miller, Dayton had the makings of a long term Big East producer. However, instead of taking the 'gimme', the conference allowed that grape to wither on the vine and Dayton doesn't look as attractive anymore.
So, that inspires the ultimate question. Is the Big East content to remain a small conference? If not, what precipitates growth? For instance, if St. Louis all of a sudden got hot, would the conference take advantage of their momentum and bring them in so it becomes the NBE's momentum?
I genuinely feel there have been a lot of missed opportunities to create separation and climb even higher in the lexicon of college basketball. A window was there to make the Big East 'bullet proof'. Where quality collects, there is always strength in numbers.
Archie Miller is the prototype NBE coach. I think he would have stayed at Dayton if they had gotten the ticket.
It's funny what a big difference that weeks can make. Suddenly, with Dayton and VCU losing their coaches, the landscape has changed. Of the available teams, only Mark Few and Gonzaga is primed to take that step up.
If the Big East is going to negotiate risk and growth in the future, it really needs to be willing to get while the getting is good. It's the difference in being the hunter versus being the hunted.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Do you think Miller would have left Dayton if they were

Postby MUBoxer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:51 am

Yes I think he would have left. It's not like he left for some state school he left for an iconic job. Let me tell you about a program that was in the old Big East that is much more historic than Dayton and has a bigger budget yet still lost their coach to Indiana at a time IU was burning to the ground. If they could poach Crean then there's no way they couldn't have poached Archie now NBE or no.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby xusandy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:58 am

Yep, agree. The Miller bros. are both driven, and both want/need to be at blue-blood bball schools. Dayton has a nice history, but offering the same $$ as OSU, and even if the Flyers were in the BEAST, they almost certainly could not have kept Archie.
xusandy

Postby Dwon » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:34 am

I think there's a good chance he would have left because there's more money circulating in the public schools because they have football and that's why they get the most buzz. Same reason why Virginia tech got poached from the BE by the ACC back in 2000 and Rutgers more recently. I think he's making 3.3 million a year now at Indiana. The only way Dayton could have avoided it is if they had a really good basketball team that can afford to pay him that much
Last edited by Dwon on Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dwon

Postby _lh » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:50 am

CrawfishBucket wrote:I think this is a relevant question if the conference ever looks to expand again.
Is the NBE waiting for a program to 'stand out' before the push to move off 10? Or is 10 a fixed number?
I've gone on record saying the Big East should grow when its at its strongest (which is probably now). If you're ever going to grow, its better to do it with top talent then schools that have potential. For that reason, I thought Wichita State and Gonzaga were no-brainers. Those are legit basketball brands.
Wichita has a rockstar coach and fits perfectly next to Creighton. That was a huge missed opportunity. As a result of not taking the initiative to extend the gap between the NBE and the rest, that gap has narrowed a bit now. I see the opportunity to grab Few and Gonzaga in a similar light.
With Archie Miller, Dayton had the makings of a long term Big East producer. However, instead of taking the 'gimme', the conference allowed that grape to wither on the vine and Dayton doesn't look as attractive anymore.
So, that inspires the ultimate question. Is the Big East content to remain a small conference? If not, what precipitates growth? For instance, if St. Louis all of a sudden got hot, would the conference take advantage of their momentum and bring them in so it becomes the NBE's momentum?
I genuinely feel there have been a lot of missed opportunities to create separation and climb even higher in the lexicon of college basketball. A window was there to make the Big East 'bullet proof'. Where quality collects, there is always strength in numbers.
Archie Miller is the prototype NBE coach. I think he would have stayed at Dayton if they had gotten the ticket.
It's funny what a big difference that weeks can make. Suddenly, with Dayton and VCU losing their coaches, the landscape has changed. Of the available teams, only Mark Few and Gonzaga is primed to take that step up.
If the Big East is going to negotiate risk and growth in the future, it really needs to be willing to get while the getting is good. It's the difference in being the hunter versus being the hunted.

Yes, Miller leaves because Miller was waiting for a all time top 10 like program to move onto.

Now some questions for you:

1.) Why did you create an entirely new BE expansion thread when this question about an A10 coach could have been asked in any number of the current BE expansion threads?

2.) What is NBE? I assume you mean "new" Big East but aren't there like three NBE's over the years. Was it the NBE in 1995? Was it the NBE in 2005? Just stop with the NBE. No one calls the ACC the new ACC or the B10 the new B10. Teams have moved around in almost every conference. It is just the Big East.

3.) Doesn't the A10 or new A10 have a message board you can play on?
Xavier
_lh

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:41 pm

No, it's not a relevant question.

For a school to get serious consideration towards being added, that school needs to be an asset regardless of success. If Dayton isn't an attractive candidate without Archie Miller, then it isn't an attractive candidate with him either. When we add a school, we are committing to them pretty much forever - not just as long as they have their current coach. Thank goodness you're not one of the league's decision makers because your shortsightedness would really threaten to water down and destroy our brand/league.

Not getting Wichita State is not a missed opportunity. On the contrary, taking them would have been a massive mistake. Sure, it would've added a great team to the league for next year, maybe even the next few years. But one day, probably in the not too distant future, a job big enough to tempt him away (Big East or not) will likely open up. At that point, we'll stuck with a school that adds nothing to the league. It's a mid-major brand that is a geographical outlier in a small market that has nothing in common with any other league member. Wichita State is a prime example of a school that's only valuable to the league when it's winning. And if Wichita State is always winning the Big East, that quite honestly means the rest of our teams have fallen off tremendously.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby BigmanU » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:11 pm

Dayton is a nice little school; but come on.

Miller would have left if they were in any other conference also
BigmanU

Postby stever20 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:27 pm

Indiana is a job that it wouldn't be a shock if any coach in the NBE left for.
stever20

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:29 pm

The Big East didn't keep Tom Crean from leaving Marquette for Indiana, so the answer is no. There are some jobs/opportunities for certain coaches that, regardless of pay/conference affiliation, take.

Honestly, if Anthony Grant continues forward with what Archie established, and keeps getting Dayton into the tournament every year, Dayton will be in the Big East sooner than later. Actually, Archie leaving is probably in the best interest of the candidacy, as the Big East wouldn't want to invite a program based on one coach.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby BEXU » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:07 pm

Miller would have never have finished above 6th in the BE, so, no.
BEXU

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board