Will Mullin And Ewing Make A Difference As Coaches?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Will Mullin And Ewing Make A Difference As Coaches?

Postby stever20 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:37 am

RedStorm wrote:
NJRedman wrote:
SJHooper wrote:Quiet concern continues to mount around the SJ program regarding recruiting. Some people say Simon and Clark (transfers) are in effect our recruits...BS. It seems our top targets are all leaving NY/NJ. We have the Ponds/LoVett duo for 1 more year and Ponds possibly leaves after his JR year after that. My point is that there are very short windows to win in college hoops. I would hate to see a team so talented with guards wasted due to awful big men. Kind of reminds me of the Mets with great starting pitching but a bad bullpen and poor offense. What is most concerning to me is the fact that we have essentially unlimited PT for bigs and no top 100 level bigs seem to be signing. The Jets don't get real QB's and St. John's doesn't get real big men (at least to this point). It seems we are missing on our top targets and I don't just mean plan A's. Our plan B's aren't signing either and we are settling for plan C low major, not on the radar type players. Call me all the names in the book, tell me I'm crazy again, say what you'd like, but this is the truth and it's not a good look at all. No offense to PC or SH but even these programs have clearly passed us by not just with success but with recruiting.

Dude, only the nutters are having quiet concerns about our recruiting.

The 2018 class is the one on which to judge the recruiting condition of the program. And it will largely be influenced by the Johnnies performance next season.

Not really. The 2018 class will be signed the week before the start of the season. Already 14 of the top 100 have committed for next season. and 19 of the 139 4-5 star guys have committed.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Hoya Hoya Hoya » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:25 am

Georgetown has been hot garbage since this league restarted

anything will be better than what JT3 has produced over the last several seasons
@BasketballOP
Hoya Hoya Hoya

Postby Red Rooster » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:26 pm

stever20 wrote:
RedStorm wrote:The 2018 class is the one on which to judge the recruiting condition of the program. And it will largely be influenced by the Johnnies performance next season.

Not really. The 2018 class will be signed the week before the start of the season. Already 14 of the top 100 have committed for next season. and 19 of the 139 4-5 star guys have committed.

I agree with stever here, as most of the class will be signed, sealed and delivered on signing day in November. There will be a few players still "on the market" next April (ie, a handful of 5-star kids, kids who are holding out for looks at high-major programs and the likes), but many of the top 100 will have already committed.

So, I doubt St. John's 2017-2018 performance will have anything to do with our 2018 class.
Red Rooster

Postby RedStorm » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:38 pm

Red Rooster wrote:
stever20 wrote:
RedStorm wrote:The 2018 class is the one on which to judge the recruiting condition of the program. And it will largely be influenced by the Johnnies performance next season.

I agree with stever here, as most of the class will be signed, sealed and delivered on signing day in November. There will be a few players still "on the market" next April (ie, a handful of 5-star kids, kids who are holding out for looks at high-major programs and the likes), but many of the top 100 will have already committed.

So, I doubt St. John's 2017-2018 performance will have anything to do with our 2018 class.

Yes, most of the class will be signed. But with St. Johns specifically its just two guys whose decision dates are important. Luther Mohammed and Naz Reid. If either one or both of them decide to wait on their decision, the Johnnies performance out of the gate next season becomes possibly a deciding factor.

And then there will be random quality 4-star guys who are late deciders as there always are.
RedStorm

Postby stever20 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:56 pm

Just looking, since 2/1 there have been only 13 4-5 star guys who have signed. That's of a total of 133 4/5 stars. 15 guys are left. So of the 133, only 28 hadn't signed for good by 2/1, or roughly 1 in 5. And a lot of those 28 are re-recruits, something we're starting to see more and more.
stever20

Postby Red Rooster » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:09 pm

RedStorm wrote:Yes, most of the class will be signed. But with St. Johns specifically its just two guys whose decision dates are important. Luther Mohammed and Naz Reid. If either one or both of them decide to wait on their decision, the Johnnies performance out of the gate next season becomes possibly a deciding factor.

And then there will be random quality 4-star guys who are late deciders as there always are.

Those are two of their priority kids. Muhammad will have already committed and signed somewhere in November. I'm not sure on Reid, but I also believe he'll more than likely commit somewhere in November.

I'm almost positive most of the top 100 kids will have committed or signed somewhere before January 2018. I've already mentioned about the random kids who will decide late, but there won't be many, and most of the late signees are typically 5-star kids awaiting to see who goes pro on the blue blood rosters. Awaiting to see what a team does during the season is usually overplayed by some fans and not as big of a deciding factor as a few of you all believe.
Red Rooster

Postby REDMEN1415 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:31 pm

RedStorm wrote:
NJRedman wrote:
SJHooper wrote:Quiet concern continues to mount around the SJ program regarding recruiting. Some people say Simon and Clark (transfers) are in effect our recruits...BS. It seems our top targets are all leaving NY/NJ. We have the Ponds/LoVett duo for 1 more year and Ponds possibly leaves after his JR year after that. My point is that there are very short windows to win in college hoops. I would hate to see a team so talented with guards wasted due to awful big men. Kind of reminds me of the Mets with great starting pitching but a bad bullpen and poor offense. What is most concerning to me is the fact that we have essentially unlimited PT for bigs and no top 100 level bigs seem to be signing. The Jets don't get real QB's and St. John's doesn't get real big men (at least to this point). It seems we are missing on our top targets and I don't just mean plan A's. Our plan B's aren't signing either and we are settling for plan C low major, not on the radar type players. Call me all the names in the book, tell me I'm crazy again, say what you'd like, but this is the truth and it's not a good look at all. No offense to PC or SH but even these programs have clearly passed us by not just with success but with recruiting.

Dude, only the nutters are having quiet concerns about our recruiting.

The 2018 class is the one on which to judge the recruiting condition of the program. And it will largely be influenced by the Johnnies performance next season.

I'm hoping to get a quality big man for 17 to go with Owens, With Clark, and our 3 guards Lovett, Ponds, and Simon. I think we could get to the NCAA tourny.
REDMEN1415

Postby SJHooper » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:17 am

Just incredible to me that we will have as good a 3 guard tandem as any in the country with Ponds, LoVett, Simon with TONS of PT available for any big willing to come here, play at MSG, in the Big East, nationally televised, 2 HOF coaches, big stage NYC, and we are having tons of trouble finding someone to play immediately. It's not like we won 5 games last year, we knew it would be up and down but we showed signs of life. Why are the bigs not coming here? It's literally the perfect situation for them to walk into and they keep ignoring us. Matt A in a Q & A last night on twitter said that we can expect to have an impact big immediately eligible for next year. Not sure who he's talking about, because everyone we have been mentioned with at some point has fallen off. If I'm a big, I look at Ponds who if he stays 4 years could end up being among the best EVER to play at St. John's and maybe even a late 1st round NBA pick and I'd be thrilled. You'd think that's a factor but apparently it isn't. When recruiting stalls we usually blame a lack of PT or a lack of surrounding talent especially at guard. Well, those two couldn't be any further from the truth for us. What is it? Do they talk to the coaching staff and have a sense they can't player develop? Remember, our coaches have had some solid time now they have had 1 full recruiting cycle so don't blame the lack of time. We have better guards going into next year than we had when we were ranked #15 in 2014 or beat top 10 teams on the regular in 2011. Something is fishy. There has to be something turning off recruits. If we can just get one impact big for next year and make the NCAA's, it will go a longgggg way to help recruiting. To do that we will need to dominate OOC like we did at 11-1 in 2014 to start. No more losing to LIU and other bums. The time for excuses is gone guys. Pardon me for having expectations.
SJHooper

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board