Will Mullin And Ewing Make A Difference As Coaches?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Will Mullin and Ewing make a difference as coaches?

Postby scoscox » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:22 pm

EMT wrote:Back to the original question.....

The downside risk of hiring Mullin and Ewing is much greater than a coach with no ties to the program because they won't get fired for being mediocre, only bad and will probably need a few years of bad to get fired.

I'm not sure if that's true, especially since both were brought in when the programs were already at arguably their lowest points.
scoscox

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby hoyahooligan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:41 am

gtmoBlue wrote:Crawfish,

We are ALL basketball people in this conference. As such, yes, the newbies KNOW who Mullin and Ewing are, their significance to the Big East, AND the hopes which are riding on their collective success' - both for the individual universities and the Big East Conference.

Having said that - No. Neither Mullin nor Ewing will be successful in their efforts to resuscitate St Johns or Georgetown. It is a Sisyphian task for both guys, they will give the good college try...but such a resurrection is much too tall an order and both will fail gloriously. "The struggle itself [...] is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy." It would be a huge task for Cal, Roy, K, or gtmo to pull off. ;)

The newbies shall have to carry the Big East. ;)

Georgetown has sucked in the new BE and have not pulled our weight. Yet we still have as many NCAA wins as Creighton during that time (1). Xavier and Butler have been great. I wouldn't lump yourself in with them gtmo.
hoyahooligan

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:45 am

vs

Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby EMT » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:17 am

scoscox wrote:

The downside risk of hiring Mullin and Ewing is much greater than a coach with no ties to the program because they won't get fired for being mediocre, only bad and will probably need a few years of bad to get fired.

I'm not sure if that's true, especially since both were brought in when the programs were already at arguably their lowest points.

So you think it will be easy to get rid of them if they don't perform?
EMT

Postby hoyahooligan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:07 pm

EMT wrote:
scoscox wrote:

So you think it will be easy to get rid of them if they don't perform?

We just fired JT3 (some might argue it took too long, but I'm not in that camp). If we can fire him, we can fire anyone.
hoyahooligan

Re: Will Mullin And Ewing Make A Difference As Coaches?

Postby SJHooper » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:35 pm

I think this upcoming year will tell a LOT about Mullin and his ability to awaken SJ as a program. Any decent coach would have next year's SJ team in the NIT (18-19 wins) as the low end expectation and in the NCAA tourney as the higher end expectation. Between Ponds, LoVett, and Simon we will easily have one of the best guard trios in the country if not clearly the best after UK's guards left. The problem has been our defense and our bigs. If we can play solid defense after getting a few big bodies, there's no reason we shouldn't make the tourney. I am very nervous though, we are not really like Butler always exceeding expectations. I think if Mullin does not at least lead us to the NIT next year, there's a problem and it's a red flag that his tenure won't work out. On the flip side, if he does make it, it would be a dream scenario.
SJHooper

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:38 pm

hoyahooligan wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:Crawfish,

We are ALL basketball people in this conference. As such, yes, the newbies KNOW who Mullin and Ewing are, their significance to the Big East, AND the hopes which are riding on their collective success' - both for the individual universities and the Big East Conference.

Having said that - No. Neither Mullin nor Ewing will be successful in their efforts to resuscitate St Johns or Georgetown. It is a Sisyphian task for both guys, they will give the good college try...but such a resurrection is much too tall an order and both will fail gloriously. "The struggle itself [...] is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy." It would be a huge task for Cal, Roy, K, or gtmo to pull off. ;)

The newbies shall have to carry the Big East. ;)

Georgetown has sucked in the new BE and have not pulled our weight. Yet we still have as many NCAA wins as Creighton during that time (1). Xavier and Butler have been great. I wouldn't lump yourself in with them gtmo.

Well, I wouldn't look for your hoyers to get any more NCAA W's in the next 2-3 seasons. So crank up your vcr/dvd player and watch your fav reruns of Big John and his hoyers... Have fun with that HH. Luv ya,
gtmo :lol: ;)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby SJHooper » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:18 am

Quiet concern continues to mount around the SJ program regarding recruiting. Some people say Simon and Clark (transfers) are in effect our recruits...BS. It seems our top targets are all leaving NY/NJ. We have the Ponds/LoVett duo for 1 more year and Ponds possibly leaves after his JR year after that. My point is that there are very short windows to win in college hoops. I would hate to see a team so talented with guards wasted due to awful big men. Kind of reminds me of the Mets with great starting pitching but a bad bullpen and poor offense. What is most concerning to me is the fact that we have essentially unlimited PT for bigs and no top 100 level bigs seem to be signing. The Jets don't get real QB's and St. John's doesn't get real big men (at least to this point). It seems we are missing on our top targets and I don't just mean plan A's. Our plan B's aren't signing either and we are settling for plan C low major, not on the radar type players. Call me all the names in the book, tell me I'm crazy again, say what you'd like, but this is the truth and it's not a good look at all. No offense to PC or SH but even these programs have clearly passed us by not just with success but with recruiting.
SJHooper

Postby NJRedman » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:36 am

SJHooper wrote:Quiet concern continues to mount around the SJ program regarding recruiting. Some people say Simon and Clark (transfers) are in effect our recruits...BS. It seems our top targets are all leaving NY/NJ. We have the Ponds/LoVett duo for 1 more year and Ponds possibly leaves after his JR year after that. My point is that there are very short windows to win in college hoops. I would hate to see a team so talented with guards wasted due to awful big men. Kind of reminds me of the Mets with great starting pitching but a bad bullpen and poor offense. What is most concerning to me is the fact that we have essentially unlimited PT for bigs and no top 100 level bigs seem to be signing. The Jets don't get real QB's and St. John's doesn't get real big men (at least to this point). It seems we are missing on our top targets and I don't just mean plan A's. Our plan B's aren't signing either and we are settling for plan C low major, not on the radar type players. Call me all the names in the book, tell me I'm crazy again, say what you'd like, but this is the truth and it's not a good look at all. No offense to PC or SH but even these programs have clearly passed us by not just with success but with recruiting.

Dude, only the nutters are having quiet concerns about our recruiting.
NJRedman

Postby RedStorm » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:04 am

NJRedman wrote:
SJHooper wrote:Quiet concern continues to mount around the SJ program regarding recruiting. Some people say Simon and Clark (transfers) are in effect our recruits...BS. It seems our top targets are all leaving NY/NJ. We have the Ponds/LoVett duo for 1 more year and Ponds possibly leaves after his JR year after that. My point is that there are very short windows to win in college hoops. I would hate to see a team so talented with guards wasted due to awful big men. Kind of reminds me of the Mets with great starting pitching but a bad bullpen and poor offense. What is most concerning to me is the fact that we have essentially unlimited PT for bigs and no top 100 level bigs seem to be signing. The Jets don't get real QB's and St. John's doesn't get real big men (at least to this point). It seems we are missing on our top targets and I don't just mean plan A's. Our plan B's aren't signing either and we are settling for plan C low major, not on the radar type players. Call me all the names in the book, tell me I'm crazy again, say what you'd like, but this is the truth and it's not a good look at all. No offense to PC or SH but even these programs have clearly passed us by not just with success but with recruiting.

Dude, only the nutters are having quiet concerns about our recruiting.

The 2018 class is the one on which to judge the recruiting condition of the program. And it will largely be influenced by the Johnnies performance next season.
RedStorm

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board