Big East 2017-18 OOC Schedule

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East 2017-18 OOC Schedule

Postby NJRedman » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:16 pm

Georgetown probably knows they are going to be really REALLY bad this season and rather not get embarrassed on national TV over the holiday weekend. Can't wait to beat them twice this year.
NJRedman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby admin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:11 pm

stever20 wrote:
admin wrote:Disappointing to say the least. PK80 gave Ewing and Hoyas an early opportunity to showcase the "new" Georgetown and they chickened out.

I get that sentiment, but what would a weekend of losing by 40 to Michigan St, losing then to UConn, and then most likely a road type game at Portland do to exactly showcase the new Georgetown? Maybe best case they beat UConn and then play either Arkansas or Oklahoma in the 5th place game. But most likely, it just would show how far Georgetown has fallen.

It would be interesting to see which side triggered the change.

What message does it send to the team and to the Georgetown fans to drop out? I'd rather see my team lose in a showcase event than to be known as the team that was afraid of the competition.
admin
Site Admin

Postby NJRedman » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:03 pm

admin wrote:
stever20 wrote:
admin wrote:Disappointing to say the least. PK80 gave Ewing and Hoyas an early opportunity to showcase the "new" Georgetown and they chickened out.

I get that sentiment, but what would a weekend of losing by 40 to Michigan St, losing then to UConn, and then most likely a road type game at Portland do to exactly showcase the new Georgetown? Maybe best case they beat UConn and then play either Arkansas or Oklahoma in the 5th place game. But most likely, it just would show how far Georgetown has fallen.

It would be interesting to see which side triggered the change.

What message does it send to the team and to the Georgetown fans to drop out? I'd rather see my team lose in a showcase event than to be known as the team that was afraid of the competition.

What other explanation can there be? Even worse for the already fragile fan base to see the team get beat down as badly as they were looking to get in that tourny.

They MIGHT look to a win against Portland in the last place game but thats not even a guarantee. I think DePaul can give UConn all they can handle in the first game of the losers bracket.
NJRedman

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:20 am

I think we forget that we are not the average CBB fan. The average doesn't know about RPI and SOS only wins and losses. I don't agree with what Georgetown did but it makes sense. If Ewing thinks they would get drilled each game then it would only make the average fan give up on Georgetown. Wojo took this same strategy and it got him a big extension. Schedule a weak OOC to inflate win totals and worry about making the tournament later.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby stever20 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:29 am

DudeAnon wrote:I think we forget that we are not the average CBB fan. The average doesn't know about RPI and SOS only wins and losses. I don't agree with what Georgetown did but it makes sense. If Ewing thinks they would get drilled each game then it would only make the average fan give up on Georgetown. Wojo took this same strategy and it got him a big extension. Schedule a weak OOC to inflate win totals and worry about making the tournament later.

Think this is a great point. And I would make the argument that Georgetown has a lot greater percentage of casual fans than any other team in the conference. There isn't the hard core base that Creighton, Butler, Nova, etc. all have. Maybe if this was 30 years ago things would be different, but today just isn't the same.
stever20

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:13 pm

We still don't know Georgetown's OOC schedule, do we?
GoldenWarrior11

Postby stever20 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:43 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:We still don't know Georgetown's OOC schedule, do we?

nope. Only thing we know is Syracuse so far.
stever20

Postby Red Rooster » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:27 pm

Nope! Frankly, I think it was a chump move to back out the PK Tournament. I don't think the Hoyas are going to be any good, this season, and now they're probably gonna fill up their OOC schedule with cupcakes (and, could potentially lose to one of those cream puffs).

I still believe the Big East will be a formidable conference this season, but I can certainly see G'town being an RPI killer.
Red Rooster

Postby stever20 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:38 pm

Red Rooster wrote:

Nope! Frankly, I think it was a chump move to back out the PK Tournament. I don't think the Hoyas are going to be any good, this season, and now they're probably gonna fill up their OOC schedule with cupcakes (and, could potentially lose to one of those cream puffs).

I still believe the Big East will be a formidable conference this season, but I can certainly see G'town being an RPI killer.

It'll be interesting to see if Georgetown can be even a tier 3 home game for teams even with the new standards..... or top 160. Hopefully they won't be tier 4 road games(which would be 241 or worse).
stever20

Postby billyjack » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:49 am

Could this be a reason for Georgetown withdrawing from the PK80...?:

http://georgetownvoice.com/2017/01/03/u ... -meetings/

"Georgetown’s licensing contract with Nike expired on Dec. 31, and the university and apparel company continue to negotiate a new agreement just weeks after a student protest led to the university verbally agreeing to ask Nike to allow third-party monitoring group the Worker Rights Consortium (WRC) independent access to its factories. Eight students who spent the night in University President John DeGioia’s office during the sit-in also received an email Jan. 3 informing them of a mandatory meeting with the Office of Student Conduct.

In a statement, Cal Watson, chair of the Licensing Oversight Committee (LOC), said the university wants the new contract to include independent monitoring of and reporting from the Worker Rights Consortium (WRC) on Nike factories where Georgetown apparel is produced. The university has also asked that Nike adhere to the principles of its licensee Code of Conduct, which asks companies using the Georgetown brand to conduct their business in a socially responsible way “consistent with its Jesuit tradition.”

Nike is the only university licensee that has not signed the code of conduct."
Providence
billyjack

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board