Big East 2017-18 OOC Schedule

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East 2017-18 OOC Schedule

Postby ConnersvilleBulldog » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:59 am

Butler already has Maryland, Purdue, Utah, Princeton, & an at least slightly improved St. Louis team on their schedule this season. Plus some very tough PK80 matchups:
Round 1: Texas
Round 2: Duke/Portland St
Round 3: Florida/Ohio St/Stanford/Gonzaga

I'd say there's enough room in the schedule to play a cupcake. Especially for a team that will have 6 newcomers and an entirely new coaching staff.
"On paper, people tell us we're nothing. But we're still playing for a national championship. We … are … still … here." - Joel Cornette
ConnersvilleBulldog

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEXU » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:32 pm

UD Flyer Fanatic wrote:
HoosierPal wrote:
MUPanther wrote:Chicago State at Marquette, Wednesday, Nov. 29th.

Butler just trumped your 317 RPI Chicago State Cougars. We announced that RPI 325 Western Illinois Leatherbacks are coming to Hinkle. I thought there was a push to end this type of scheduling nonsense.

I get your frustration. If there were only a similar private university with an established top 50 rpi team within a hundred miles or so that would agree to play you guys...

I think they play UC, Notre Dame and IU all the time.
BEXU

Postby BEXU » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:36 pm

BEXU wrote:
UD Flyer Fanatic wrote:
I get your frustration. If there were only a similar private university with an established top 50 rpi team within a hundred miles or so that would agree to play you guys...

I think they play X, UC, Notre Dame and IU all the time. If you're talking about UD, I suggest you fire your game scheduler and get somebody who can get you such games. X has done it for years and years. UD would rather schedule DII teams.
BEXU

Postby UD Flyer Fanatic » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:38 am

I think they play X, UC, Notre Dame and IU all the time. If you're talking about UD, I suggest you fire your game scheduler and get somebody who can get you such games. X has done it for years and years. UD would rather schedule DII teams.

Not to belabor the point- yes I was sarcastically referring to UD. Maybe we should fire the scheduler- but that is our past head coach and the AD. Such is the importance to us of a strong OOC schedule as we get precious little quality win opportunities in season. We would rather not schedule patsies, but as the MBB program is our only revenue sport and supports the entire athletic department budget, we do host an occasional buy game for revenue (and last year's sole D2 team does not impact RPI) . But the bottom line is we do find it most difficult to find good program open to playing us. Hopefully our recent success and strong RPI has taken the "bad loss" stigma away to some degree.

We now return back to our regular programming.....
UD Flyer Fanatic

Postby Xudash » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:03 pm

UD Flyer Fanatic wrote:

Not to belabor the point- yes I was sarcastically referring to UD. Maybe we should fire the scheduler- but that is our past head coach and the AD. Such is the importance to us of a strong OOC schedule as we get precious little quality win opportunities in season. We would rather not schedule patsies, but as the MBB program is our only revenue sport and supports the entire athletic department budget, we do host an occasional buy game for revenue (and last year's sole D2 team does not impact RPI) . But the bottom line is we do find it most difficult to find good program open to playing us. Hopefully our recent success and strong RPI has taken the "bad loss" stigma away to some degree.

We now return back to our regular programming.....

UFF,

I'm not dumping on you, but offering a straight up comment on this: there is more than likely a perception here and from outside the UD fanbase that Archie's exit from UD will translate to a step back for UD. I'm not following or familiar with your new coach, but that isn't the point. It's not about who took the job in this case, it's about who left it.

Coupled with that is the reality that the A10 has become a shell of its former self. Xavier and Temple are gone. UMass has been down for most of the time for many years now. St. Joe's seems to have gone off the ledge. With both VCU and UD having experienced recent material coaching changes and with the bottom of the A10 remaining so gifted at being very much bottom-centric performers, it just seems that it will be that much harder to recruit into that conference moving forward.

UD has the fan support and resources to make it work. It hasn't had a track record of consistently maintaining strong coaches, following coaching exits. That doesn't mean that can't change, starting with the most recent occurrence.

I will tell you this, though: the difference in the level of recruiting that can be achieved between the Big East and P5 and the other conference is simply staggering. I sometimes now sit back and wonder how Xavier did what it was able to do in recruiting when it was in the A10, and that was when the A10 was banging around in the conference rank range of 6/7.

At the very least, if UD wants to remain relevant, it's going to have to run rough shod over the A10 in order to gain a path into the NCAAT.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby UD Flyer Fanatic » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:09 pm

Hey Dash,

Yep, cannot disagree with most of your comments. But I'm optimistic for 2 reasons- UD has among the most loyal and passionate fans in the country, and we're making a great investment in our facilities which will make trhe game day experinec awesome. Though we may be stuck in a mid major league, we 'll alway have support and facilities that can compete with any program, including the bluebloods. And we will continue to get to the NCAAT on a regular basis.

But to my original point, I just don't get why the BE doesn't schedule us. We simply are not a devastating rpi loss, and would be a good win. I get X being reluctant, maybe too much baggage from over the years.
UD Flyer Fanatic

Postby BEXU » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:56 pm

The Xavier University men's basketball program announced its non-conference schedule Tuesday featuring 12 games with eight home contests. Xavier hosts Findlay for a preseason exhibition match to lead off the schedule and follows that game with the regular season home opener against Morehead State.
Other schedule highlights include hosting Baylor as part of the new home-and-home agreement as well as hosting Cincinnati for the Crosstown Shootout in early December. While still subject to change and additions could be made, the below is the announced schedule.
Saturday, Nov. 4 vs. Findlay (exhibition) at 4 p,m.
Friday, Nov. 10 vs. Morehead State
Monday, Nov. 13 vs. Rider
Thursday, Nov. 16 @ Wisconsin
Monday, Nov. 20 vs. Hampton
Thursday, Nov. 23 @ Las Vegas Invitational
Friday, Nov. 24 @ Las Vegas Invitational
Tuesday, Nov. 28 vs. Baylor
Saturday, Dec. 2 vs. Cincinnati
Wednesday, Dec. 6 vs Kent State
Saturday, Dec. 9 vs Colorado
Friday, Nov. 22 @ Northern Iowa
Xavier announces 2017-18 schedule additions, cancellation of Utah home-and-home series

Xavier will play on the road against Wisconsin as part of the third-annual Gavitt Games which pits Big East teams against Big Ten teams in honor of Dave Gavitt, who founded the Big East Conference.
The Musketeers will also compete in the Continental Tire Las Vegas Invitational in late November, with opponents possibly being George Washington, Arizona State, or Kansas State.
Xavier's Trevon Bluiett and grad transfer Kerem Kanter withdrew from this year's NBA draft and will continue their college careers. Xavier lost Edmond Sumner to the draft and lost RaShid Gaston and Malcom Bernard to graduation.
The Musketeers finished 18th in the USA Today Coaches Poll and made it to the Elite 8 before being defeated in last year’s tournament by Gonzaga who would go on to lose to North Carolina for the NCAA men’s basketball championship.
BEXU

Postby MUPanther » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:37 pm

Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:27 am

Xudash wrote:
I'm offering a straight up comment on this: there is more than likely a perception here and from outside the UD fanbase that Archie's exit from UD will translate to a step back for UD. I'm not following or familiar with your new coach, but that isn't the point. It's not about who took the job in this case, it's about who left it.

UD has the fan support and resources to make it work. It hasn't had a track record of consistently maintaining strong coaches, following coaching exits. That doesn't mean that can't change, starting with the most recent occurrence.

Xudash – out of respect for the wishes of billyjack and many other HLOH posters who quite reasonably do not want to see posts about Dayton on the Big East basketball message board, I have replied to your post on the Dayton Thread on the Off Topic board, where any posts about Dayton should reside.

Back to topic: Big East 2017-18 OOC Schedule

Let’s Be Ready To Learn About The Marquette Men’s Basketball Non-Conference Schedule – Anonymous Eagle - July 10, 2017
The official announcement has to be coming up soon, but there’s not much mystery left.

According to the always useful Anonymous Eagle Archives, the 2016-17 Marquette Golden Eagles men’s basketball non-conference schedule started to be released on July 5, 2016. As you can tell from your favorite calendar app of choice, today is July 10, 2017. I’ve got no idea when the athletic department is actually going to start announcing games, but it’s gotta be soon. Right? Probably. Maybe? Hopefully.

Anyway, we already know nine of the games that Marquette will be playing before Big East play kicks off in late December.

• Three games in the Maui Invitational in Hawaii
• vs Mount St. Mary’s as a Maui mainland game
• at Wisconsin
• vs Purdue in the Gavitt Tipoff Games
• vs Georgia
• vs American
• vs Chicago State

Six of those games are already locked into place on the schedule. Read on ...

Maui Invitational Tournament - Wikipedia
2017 Maui Invitational Tournament Field

California
Chaminade
LSU
Marquette
Michigan
Notre Dame
VCU
Wichita State

2018 Maui Invitational Tournament Field

Arizona
Auburn
Duke
Gonzaga
Illinois
Iowa State
San Diego State
Xavier
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:11 am

Jon Rothstein is reporting that Seton Hall will be playing Texas Tech in the Under Armour Reunion game. We'd previously heard that SHU would be playing Temple (who Rothstein reports is playing South Carolina). So if true...I guess that's a slight upgrade? Maybe? Upgrade in terms of conference, but they seem pretty similar in terms of talent.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board