Big East 2017-18 OOC Schedule

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East 2017-18 OOC Schedule

Postby MullinMayhem » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:47 am

In Mullin's first year aka one of SJ's worst seasons ever with arguably the least talented roster in our history, we scheduled:

#19 Vanderbilt
#13 Indiana
Syracuse
#25 South Carolina

No excuse for G'Town's horrendous OOC schedule.
MullinMayhem

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:16 am

And Georgetown's OOC schedule could produce with no bad losses a record of 5.4-2(RPI wise). a .730 pct. St John's even if you take those 3 bad losses and make them wins- their RPI OOC record that year would have been only 6.2-3. A .674 winning pct. And that includes Fordham which wasn't a real bad loss quite frankly. you take that out and it's 4.8-3.6 or a .571 winning percentage.

For the league, what Georgetown is doing will probably be the best thing for this year.

Long term with good teams, I just don't think you can do what Ewing said though. It's not like when he played where you didn't play a good OOC schedule ever. The committee has looked at OOC SOS a whole lot more now than it did even 15 years ago. Long gone are the days where a team can go 17-14 and make the tourney. I mean just look at Creighton and Marquette 2 years ago. Creighton was 18-14 and 9-9 in Big East play. They got what was it a 4 seed in the NIT? Marquette went 20-13 and 8-10 in Big East Play. They didn't even make the NIT. Neither one of those miss the tourney 15 years ago.
stever20

Postby CrawfishBucket » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:05 am

MullinMayhem wrote:In Mullin's first year aka one of SJ's worst seasons ever with arguably the least talented roster in our history, we scheduled:

#19 Vanderbilt
#13 Indiana
Syracuse
#25 South Carolina

Tired of the negativity. Mullin did St Johns no favors his first year. Don't kid yourself.

I just read this Gary Parrish article and its as clueless as a lot of these comments here. I think you're letting the media influence you.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ger-issue/

What this article and all of you seem to disregard is that Ewing is instilling a culture. Getting beat down from start to finish definitely will not help attendance or confidence for this new squad. Or confidence from recruits.

He's in the process of turning the roster over. We can see the results of Mullin's approach. Recruiting for St Johns has been a hard road. I think Ewing is doing what he needs to do, to get this program in shape.

We just got a nice commitment from Grayson Carter. Do you think he wants to play for a program that is 22-43, like Mullin's squad?

The schedule will gradually get better as the team gets better. You can be sure of that.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:54 am

Westbrook#36 wrote:
See that Georgetown delayed the release of the OOC schedule until the BE conference schedule came out. Here's a link and the schedule with KenPom ranks.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2017/9/12/16296230/georgetown-basketball-schedule-2017-cupcake-city-baby

Nov. 12: Jacksonville (275)
Nov. 15: Mount St. Mary’s (209)
Nov. 18: Maryland Eastern Shore (321)
Nov. 25: at Richmond (92)
Nov. 28: Maine (337)
Dec. 3: Coppin State (343)
Dec. 7: Howard (338)
Dec. 9: North Carolina A&T (349)
Dec. 16: Syracuse (55)
Dec. 20: North Texas (320)
Dec. 23: Alabama A&M (351)

Syracuse basketball 2017-18 schedule: Non-conference games set
Here is Syracuse's entire non-conference schedule:

Nov. 10 Cornell
Nov. 14 Iona
Nov. 17/18 Texas Southern
Nov. 20 Oakland
Nov. 22 Toledo
Nov. 27 Maryland
Dec. 2 vs. Kansas (in Miami) 5:30 p.m.
Dec. 5 vs. Connecticut (Madison Square Garden)
Dec. 9 Colgate
Dec. 16 at Georgetown
Dec. 19 Buffalo
Dec. 22 St. Bonaventure
Dec. 27 Eastern Michigan

# 69 - Syracuse Orange 2017-18 Preview - Joel Welser, CSM - September 2, 2017

Syracuse will face some decent competition before their game at Georgetown, which should be of benefit to them.

Richmond Spiders Stats - 2016-17 - ESPN

T.J. Cline (18.5 PPG, 7.8 RPG, and 5.6 APG) and ShawnDre' Jones (16.8 PPG, 46.3% FGs, 81.9% FTs, and 39.2% 3-PTs) have graduated, leaving the Spiders off of CSM's listing of Top 144 Teams for 2017-18. If the Hoyas get any signature wins this season, they will come in conference play.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby billyjack » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:09 pm

stever20 wrote:And Georgetown's OOC schedule could produce with no bad losses a record of 5.4-2(RPI wise). a .730 pct. St John's even if you take those 3 bad losses and make them wins- their RPI OOC record that year would have been only 6.2-3. A .674 winning pct. And that includes Fordham which wasn't a real bad loss quite frankly. you take that out and it's 4.8-3.6 or a .571 winning percentage.

For the league, what Georgetown is doing will probably be the best thing for this year.

Long term with good teams, I just don't think you can do what Ewing said though. It's not like when he played where you didn't play a good OOC schedule ever. The committee has looked at OOC SOS a whole lot more now than it did even 15 years ago. Long gone are the days where a team can go 17-14 and make the tourney. I mean just look at Creighton and Marquette 2 years ago. Creighton was 18-14 and 9-9 in Big East play. They got what was it a 4 seed in the NIT? Marquette went 20-13 and 8-10 in Big East Play. They didn't even make the NIT. Neither one of those miss the tourney 15 years ago.

I'm pretty sure that a team's OWP (50% of RPI) and its OOWP (25% of RPI) are not weighted. Need to check on that.

If that's the case, then this really just hurts Georgetown a ton (by taking in the full 3-27 Maine Black Bears record, etc, at 50%), but isn't a complete total killer for the other 9 of us because the Hoyas will give us their 13-16 or whatever record at 50%, plus by the time you get to the OOWP the sample size is pretty large among the other 9 of us. Not ideal of course, but as long as they win these games it won't be a catastrophe for us.

And it's better I think than losing to a group of 150 RPI schools like UNC Asheville and Radford. At least these games vs Coppin State, etc, will be wins.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:31 pm

billyjack wrote:
stever20 wrote:And Georgetown's OOC schedule could produce with no bad losses a record of 5.4-2(RPI wise). a .730 pct. St John's even if you take those 3 bad losses and make them wins- their RPI OOC record that year would have been only 6.2-3. A .674 winning pct. And that includes Fordham which wasn't a real bad loss quite frankly. you take that out and it's 4.8-3.6 or a .571 winning percentage.

I'm pretty sure that a team's OWP (50% of RPI) and its OOWP (25% of RPI) are not weighted. Need to check on that.

If that's the case, then this really just hurts Georgetown a ton (by taking in the full 3-27 Maine Black Bears record, etc, at 50%), but isn't a complete total killer for the other 9 of us because the Hoyas will give us their 13-16 or whatever record at 50%, plus by the time you get to the OOWP the sample size is pretty large among the other 9 of us. Not ideal of course, but as long as they win these games it won't be a catastrophe for us.

And it's better I think than losing to a group of 150 RPI schools like UNC Asheville and Radford. At least these games vs Coppin State, etc, will be wins.

Just looked and you are right.

The OOC as a total vs D1 teams last year went 132-227. A .368 winning percentage.

As far as the OOWP you are correct. I looked at Georgetown last year. Their OOWP was a whopping 17001-13669. That's 30670 games.

So I would say for Big East as a whole, what Georgetown is doing this year is far better than what St John's had 2 years ago in a similar situation. Far better to add say a 9-2 than a 6-6.
stever20

Postby H.U.S.T.L.E. » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:46 pm

I think people defending Georgetown here are off the mark.

First off, you're taking your program out of the national conversation right out of the gate. They have zero games on ESPN this year, and only one on a national network (on CBS vs. Syracuse).

And it's not like everyone bashing the program is saying they should be entirely scheduling top 100 teams in the OOC. I think a lot of the uproar would have been quieted if they hadn't pulled out of the PK80. But this a schedule that's HISTORICALLY BAD, as in second-worst non-conference schedule in the KenPom era (which dates back to 2002). You can still "build a winning culture" without scheduling that many bodybag games. If they'd stayed in the PK80, they'd still have 7 bodybag games (with a winnable game against a younger Richmond team than last year) instead of the 9 on the current schedule.

I think it's also important to point out that in today's landscape, very few programs are going to attract a vibrant & loyal fanbase no matter the opponent. Winning surely helps, but I'm not sure Georgetown has the luxury of expecting fans to show up in the DC market just to see a "winning team" beating cupcakes. I think the novelty of Ewing's first season might help bump attendance in Year 1 regardless of the schedule, but if this is his philosophy moving forward every year I'd have real concerns.

I'm hoping that Ewing adjusts his scheduling philosophy if Georgetown improves in quality. But his quotes don't seem to reflect that at the moment. We shall see in time.
H.U.S.T.L.E.

Postby Red Rooster » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:27 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:
MullinMayhem wrote:In Mullin's first year aka one of SJ's worst seasons ever with arguably the least talented roster in our history, we scheduled:

#19 Vanderbilt
#13 Indiana
Syracuse
#25 South Carolina

I just read this Gary Parrish article and its as clueless as a lot of these comments here. I think you're letting the media influence you.

What this article and all of you seem to disregard is that Ewing is instilling a culture. Getting beat down from start to finish definitely will not help attendance or confidence for this new squad. Or confidence from recruits.

It sounds more like you who is allowing the media to influence you. Most people, analysts or not, views Georgetown's schedule as a joke. A flat out joke!

Your latter quote is nothing but excuses. You can learn a lot about the ability of your team and you as a coach by playing decent or even mediocre teams. Georgetown is playing horrible teams. Besides, they were only actually set up to play one good team (Michigan State), and possibly another good team (Oregon) or a decent-to-mediocre team (UConn) in the PK80 Tournament. Miss me with the crap about "getting beat down," when it was only a chance that would happen once or twice. There is also a chance Georgetown could've beaten UConn in the loser's bracket of the PK80 Tournament.

If you think recruits and their people's aren't savvy or aware of bunk, then you're more clueless than I originally thought (and, that would be mind boggling, considering what I already think of you).

He's in the process of turning the roster over. We can see the results of Mullin's approach. Recruiting for St Johns has been a hard road. I think Ewing is doing what he needs to do, to get this program in shape.

Mullin brought in a top 40 kid in Shamorie Ponds after only being on the job for 5 months. He also was able to secure a top 70 recruit in Marcus LoVett shortly after taking the job. What's your point again?

We just got a nice commitment from Grayson Carter. Do you think he wants to play for a program that is 22-43, like Mullin's squad?

The same Grayson Carter who is ranked similarly to St. John's most recent commit, Josh Roberts, right? Okay. Josh Roberts wanted to play for Mullin, and he's similarly ranked the same as Carter, so why not? We're also amongst the leaders for Luther Muhammad's services. He's a top 50 player, so why even allow Mullin and his record to be in the race for his services, huh?

The schedule will gradually get better as the team gets better. You can be sure of that.

You assume the schedule will get better. There's nothing or nowhere he states it will get better other than blind faith. The only thing I'm sure of is this is more trolling from the dolt who is probably a casual, Georgetown fan, but is more of a fan of an AAC team.

Chew on this as I depart (a couple of these quotes tell the tale):
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spo ... beacee6e70
Red Rooster

Postby MullinMayhem » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:13 am

Red Rooster wrote:
CrawfishBucket wrote:

#19 Vanderbilt
#13 Indiana
Syracuse
#25 South Carolina

It sounds more like you who is allowing the media to influence you. Most people, analysts or not, views Georgetown's schedule as a joke. A flat out joke!

Your latter quote is nothing but excuses. You can learn a lot about the ability of your team and you as a coach by playing decent or even mediocre teams. Georgetown is playing horrible teams. Besides, they were only actually set up to play one good team (Michigan State), and possibly another good team (Oregon) or a decent-to-mediocre team (UConn) in the PK80 Tournament. Miss me with the crap about "getting beat down," when it was only a chance that would happen once or twice. There is also a chance Georgetown could've beaten UConn in the loser's bracket of the PK80 Tournament.

If you think recruits and their people's aren't savvy or aware of bunk, then you're more clueless than I originally thought (and, that would be mind boggling, considering what I already think of you).

Mullin brought in a top 40 kid in Shamorie Ponds after only being on the job for 5 months. He also was able to secure a top 70 recruit in Marcus LoVett shortly after taking the job. What's your point again?

The same Grayson Carter who is ranked similarly to St. John's most recent commit, Josh Roberts, right? Okay. Josh Roberts wanted to play for Mullin, and he's similarly ranked the same as Carter, so why not? We're also amongst the leaders for Luther Muhammad's services. He's a top 50 player, so why even allow Mullin and his record to be in the race for his services, huh?

You assume the schedule will get better. There's nothing or nowhere he states it will get better other than blind faith. The only thing I'm sure of is this is more trolling from the dolt who is probably a casual, Georgetown fan, but is more of a fan of an AAC team.

Chew on this as I depart (a couple of these quotes tell the tale):
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spo ... beacee6e70

Agree here with Rooster. I have seen a few posts criticizing Mullin's recruiting to this point. To this point he has done at worst a solid and at best a great job considering the circumstances. I can't remember the last time we had 3 highly rated guards in the same year like LoVett, Ponds, Simon. Add to that the MAAC ROY Dixon who will sit out a year then give us 3. Our 2 big transfers in Clark and Simon are nationally considered to be high-impact transfers. Trimble is supposedly showing more than we even expected thus far. FSU always seems to find solid players and we got him as well. Keita may not be a program changer but we need his size badly and landed him. We also got Owens who projected as a bench player for Tennessee and has blossomed with us. He may not be the best player on the court but his heart and effort are unmatched and he has solid numbers. We have clearly shown the ability to identify talent. Whether or not he can develop talent is still to be determined. I will say this though to be fair, after losing Wilson (even though UConn tampered) if we do not land Muhammad it will hurt badly. I think many top 100 recruits are interested in our program, but they want to see us actually go out and get ranked and make tournaments somewhat regularly before committing.
MullinMayhem

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board