Ewing's Press Conference: He Hit it out of the park!

The home for Big East hoops

Postby CrawfishBucket » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:10 pm

Big Patrick was the best man for Georgetown job. If you missed it, here's the presser for our new coach.

You can tell he brings a lot of passion with him. Georgetown is going to play a quick NBA style.

Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Ewing's Press Conference: He Hit it out of the park!

Postby Bill Marsh » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:36 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:Big Patrick was the best man for Georgetown job. If you missed it, here's the presser for our new coach.

You can tell he brings a lot of passion with him. Georgetown is going to play a quick NBA style.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce7t1qx76jQ[/youtube]

Yes, I agree that Patrick did a fine job in the presser. I liked his vision of an NBA style offense and an old time Georgetown-style pressure defense. I think recruits. Will like that too.
Bill Marsh

Postby EMT » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:25 pm

Winning the press conference is the 1st most important thing....

Cooley KILLED his opening press conference and never looked back
EMT

Postby anXUfan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:14 pm

I hope for Ewing that he is able to land some high quality grad transfers. Rebuilding sucks.
anXUfan

Postby Burrito » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:28 pm

Ewing spoke with Mullin before taking the job.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/05/how-a-phon ... n-rivalry/
Burrito

Postby redmen9194 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:11 pm

Jim Boeheim on the radio said it's a home run. His full quote:

“This is a home run in a lot of ways. It’s tough to come back and start in college, it’s been tough for a lot of coaches. Although Patrick is a guy that can do it. I’m sure he’ll surround himself with a couple of guys with college experience. Georgetown is still Georgetown. They’ve got a tremendous name. Tremendous brand recognition. They’re in a great area, they’ve a great school, and I think he’ll do a great job. It’s a home run hire for Georgetown. Looking forward to seeing them next year when we play them. We’ve been playing St. Johns, not too well, with Chris Mullin on the sideline. The two greatest players in the history of the Big East in my mind and now back in the Big East coaching that’s pretty cool I think.”
redmen9194

Postby SJHooper » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:01 am

Think it's really cool that Ewing called Mullin. Ewing and Mullin are what the Big East is all about...brawls when we are competing but all class after the final horn sounds. We are brothers who fight but at the end of the day we know we are in it together. Really hope Georgetown is able to get back to prominence and become a frequent flyer in the top 25 again as they should be. Obviously the same for my Johnnies. For the Big East to be respected long-term nationally, we will absolutely need G'Town and SJ to do well. The cool thing about this hire is that not only will G'Town games draw more G'Town fans, but it will also draw more SJ fans since the Knicks are our team professionally and Ewing is a god to Knicks fans. People will come just to see Ewing. We have already seen the buzz nationally with this hire and it's a top headline across the country. Of course buzz is one thing and succeeding as a coach is another, but I wouldn't bet against Ewing.

I think the results of Mullin and Ewing will be referenced for decades when major programs are considering hiring one of their great former players as coach. I met Ewing Jr. at the Big East Tourney after we beat them and man the Ewings are scary big. Maybe Mullin needs to hire John Cena as an assistant just to be safe for the next SJ V. G'Town battle.
SJHooper

Postby brewcity77 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:03 am

Who cares about the press conference other than over exuberant fans? Winning the press conference is significant for about a week. At that point, it's time to start getting results, whether it's in terms of staff, on the recruiting trail, or on the court.

Ewing could be good, but I'm a skeptic. Georgetown had enough headaches getting rid of one legacy coach. If this doesn't work, I can pretty much guarantee they'll keep Ewing 2-3 years longer than they should because it's hard to fire the legend. The college game is different from the NBA. More offseason travel looking for prospects, less vacation time, more headaches worrying about whether kids are passing classes or partying too late...it's a big change.

I don't question his credentials or his ability to engage the fanbase, but Georgetown has long had a problem getting fans to Verizon and if they don't win soon, the luster of the press conference will wear off quick. Marquette suffered through three non-NCAA seasons and still hasn't recovered in terms of attendance, and our attendance issues were never as bad as Georgetown had. He has a huge job cut out for him and not a lot of time to get it right...though I suppose if he doesn't right away, he'll get longer than he deserves.
brewcity77

Postby billyjack » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:25 pm

Ewing is awesome. Always been the most humble, soft spoken guy, which is funny since he's 7 feet and has such a great presence.

So, to me, there are a variety of ways a conference gets strengthened. One key one is branding... marketing, visuals, attitude, "recognizability" (my made up word).

Having Ewing on board is huge for the Big East brand. The greatest and most significant player in Big East history is now back in a prominent position in our conference. Even if GU struggles for a couple of years, it's an instant positive boost for the BE. There will be a buzz, people will talk around the water cooler.

If Georgetown brings back their harder edge and plays rougher (not dirty of course), then it will be a positive. People will show up at the Verizon and will tune in on their TV sets.

Compare this to other possibilities...
Amaker = Duke + Sominex = Zzzzzzz.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Red Rooster » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:42 pm

brewcity77 wrote:Who cares about the press conference other than over exuberant fans? Winning the press conference is significant for about a week. At that point, it's time to start getting results, whether it's in terms of staff, on the recruiting trail, or on the court.

My thoughts, exactly (particularly, the press conference quotes).
Red Rooster

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board