The Gonzaga Thread... with Poll...

The home for Big East hoops

Should The Big East Add Gonzaga For Next Season?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:06 pm

Yes
45%
No
53%
Not Sure/ On The Fence/ Need More Convincing
No votes
Other (explain below)
2%

Total votes : 49

Re: The Gonzaga Thread... with Poll...

Postby billyjack » Sat May 06, 2017 1:44 pm

One key for choosing Gonzaga is that I'm actually very very very interested in playing them. And I want to see how they'd compete against the 10 of us. It's the same high interest that i held for Xavier back 10 years ago.

I really can't say that about any other expansion candidate.

I know I'm repeating myself, but this is the perfect time and opportunity to add Gonzaga. I'm the crazy Big East optimist, and it's 100% clear to me that this is the right move. Inject a steroid shot with the Zags.

By the way, if the Big 12 fissures, the leftovers will join with the best of the American. Even still, i would have no interest in Iowa State or Baylor joining us... or in the other doomsday scenario, i have no interest in Wake Forest of which i have like a 0.23% interest in joining us.

Get the Zags today for next season.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DeltaV » Sat May 06, 2017 5:36 pm

Are there any schools which have improved when they switched to a conference out of their geographic area?

Two that I can think of that did jump to a different conference well out of their previous geographic area are West Virginia and Boston College, which haven't gone too well. I guess you could make an argument that Creighton and Marquette joining the Big East was out of their area, but they aren't the 'islands' that WV and BC area. UConn is now in a conference which isn't really local to them geographically, and they're hurting currently.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby _lh » Sat May 06, 2017 8:34 pm

http://www.courant.com/sports/basketbal ... story.html

Bill,

Gonzaga is not joining the AAC.

Also, I never suggested the BE become a hybrid conference again.

What's the rush to expand today?
Xavier
_lh

Postby billyjack » Sat May 06, 2017 8:54 pm

DeltaV wrote:Are there any schools which have improved when they switched to a conference out of their geographic area?

Two that I can think of that did jump to a different conference well out of their previous geographic area are West Virginia and Boston College, which haven't gone too well. I guess you could make an argument that Creighton and Marquette joining the Big East was out of their area, but they aren't the 'islands' that WV and BC area. UConn is now in a conference which isn't really local to them geographically, and they're hurting currently.

To me, i think of Miami (Fla) joining the Big East, as far as major geographic change (though same time zone).
Providence
billyjack

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun May 07, 2017 6:03 am

_lh wrote:http://www.courant.com/sports/basketball/hc-wichita-state-aac-0408-20170407-story.html

Bill,

Thanks for the link.

If no hybrid, how does the BE add schools left over from the next wave of realignment? Those will all be football schools.
Last edited by Bill Marsh on Sun May 07, 2017 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Marsh

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun May 07, 2017 6:17 am

DeltaV wrote:Are there any schools which have improved when they switched to a conference out of their geographic area?

TCU football jumped into the Top Ten after joining the Mountain West.
Bill Marsh

Postby _lh » Sun May 07, 2017 1:40 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
_lh wrote:http://www.courant.com/sports/basketball/hc-wichita-state-aac-0408-20170407-story.html

Bill,

Thanks for the link.

If no hybrid, how does the BE add schools left over from the next wave of realignment? Those will all be football schools.

Not necessarily.
Xavier
_lh

Re: Gonzaga Poll - April 2017

Postby kayako » Sun May 07, 2017 2:50 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:You might want to consider posting this question on the Gonzaga message board since it's Gonzaga who has expressed the interest. It's a question for them to answer. They were very open about their desire to be included back in 2012/13 and Mark Few again expressed interest within the past year.

Everything I've read indicates Gonzaga would want to bring other schools, or even worse, create a western division. Get that outta here :D

You're high on Gonzaga and I respect them, but we don't need to bend over backwards. When we get to the point of looking at schools to add, Gonzaga with so many strings attached is honestly below A10 schools IMO.
supernova
kayako

Postby adoraz » Sun May 07, 2017 4:04 pm

I've been arguing this the past 4 years. Yes they should absolutely be included.

Aside from Nova and possibly Butler, Gonzaga has had more success than any other Big East school during the past 2 decades.

We need another headlining school. Why do we need to go into every year with a couple teams in the top 25 and 1 team in the top 10 preseason? Why can't we just take a top 10 non-football school and solve this problem?

Sadly, it doesn't appear to be happening next year. I only think it'd happen if we have a down year or two.
Johnnies
adoraz

Re: Gonzaga Poll - April 2017

Postby adoraz » Sun May 07, 2017 4:06 pm

kayako wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:You might want to consider posting this question on the Gonzaga message board since it's Gonzaga who has expressed the interest. It's a question for them to answer. They were very open about their desire to be included back in 2012/13 and Mark Few again expressed interest within the past year.

Everything I've read indicates Gonzaga would want to bring other schools, or even worse, create a western division. Get that outta here :D

You're high on Gonzaga and I respect them, but we don't need to bend over backwards. When we get to the point of looking at schools to add, Gonzaga with so many strings attached is honestly below A10 schools IMO.

Really? I haven't read anywhere they'd want to bring a bunch of schools. If that's true, disregard my above post. If it's only 1 other school I'd gladly take them, but absolutely no more than that.
Johnnies
adoraz

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board