2017-18 Big East Rankings

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2017-18 Big East Rankings

Postby xusandy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:55 pm

Ain't counting chickens here, just marveling that we STILL seem to be improving as a league.

Case in point, Lunardi's way-too-early bracketology projection for next season has 6 of our teams in the field: Nova at a 2, Butler at a 5, Seton Hall at a 6, Xavier at a 7, Creighton at a 9, and Providence in a play-in game at an 11. BTW, he's assuming (I think) that Patton leaves Creighton and that Blueitt leaves Xavier.

But wait, there's more: Marquette and St. John's also seem to me have pretty pretty damn good cores coming back. Now I know it's flat out impossible to get 8 teams from the Big East in the field (somebody has to lose a bunch of tossups), but still.....
xusandy

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEXU » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:54 pm

Would love to win the BE someday. Injuries can screw things up. 2nd? Fifth? Get in the frickin' Dance and Advance. Nobody cares who was 2nd, 3rd, 5th. 7th when the Dance starts. Tournament Runs! That's where it's at!
BEXU

Postby brewcity77 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:18 am

1) Villanova: Jay Wright simply reloaded. Bridges & Brunson both have BEPOY potential.
2) Xavier: Assuming Blueitt comes back. Started figuring it out without Sumner, should be a force next year.
3) Seton Hall: Assuming Delgado comes back. Experienced & tough, last run with this class.
4) Marquette: Offense will still be efficient, defense almost has to be better.
5) Providence: Return everyone from a solid, not spectacular team. Expect them to be solid, not spectacular again.
6) Butler: Lost a ton, though Chris Holtmann always manages to overachieve.
7) Creighton: Patton is a big loss. Joseph might be okay, but he didn't produce like Watson at his first stop. They'll have to show me before I'm a believer.
8) St. John's: I for one don't think 8 in the NCAAs is impossible, and I could easily see the Johnnies 2-3 spots higher, but the league is just so good.
9) DePaul: Losing Garrett is addition by subtraction. Moving (barely) up the table.
10) Georgetown: No Pryor, no Peak, no chance. Ewing might turn it around, but this year he's in a car that is already mid-air off the cliff.
brewcity77

Postby jfan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:31 am

brewcity77 wrote:1) Villanova: Jay Wright simply reloaded. Bridges & Brunson both have BEPOY potential.
2) Xavier: Assuming Blueitt comes back. Started figuring it out without Sumner, should be a force next year.
3) Seton Hall: Assuming Delgado comes back. Experienced & tough, last run with this class.
4) Marquette: Offense will still be efficient, defense almost has to be better.
5) Providence: Return everyone from a solid, not spectacular team. Expect them to be solid, not spectacular again.
6) Butler: Lost a ton, though Chris Holtmann always manages to overachieve.
7) Creighton: Patton is a big loss. Joseph might be okay, but he didn't produce like Watson at his first stop. They'll have to show me before I'm a believer.
8) St. John's: I for one don't think 8 in the NCAAs is impossible, and I could easily see the Johnnies 2-3 spots higher, but the league is just so good.
9) DePaul: Losing Garrett is addition by subtraction. Moving (barely) up the table.
10) Georgetown: No Pryor, no Peak, no chance. Ewing might turn it around, but this year he's in a car that is already mid-air off the cliff.
This actually looks about right. Depending on who leaves on some of the other teams, there might be additional movement. Creighton has two scollies now and depending on who they get, they could go as high as 4th. They would have to get players that would play and help immediately. We have a big gap in the middle and no natural 5. Epperson will be good at some point, but he needs time!
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby milksteak » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:08 pm

DudeAnon wrote:No love for Marquette, they had 2 stud freshmen this year.

Late to respond to this, but they lose three of their top-five scorers. But that's not even the most grim thing they will face next year. I think Marquette is going to really struggle on the glass in 2017-2018.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby MUBoxer » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:59 pm

milksteak wrote:

Late to respond to this, but they lose three of their top-five scorers. But that's not even the most grim thing they will face next year. I think Marquette is going to really struggle on the glass in 2017-2018.

Umm you know the team is actually getting taller next year?
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby hilltopalum » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:47 pm

1. Villanova
2. Providence
3. Butler
4. Hall
5. Xavier
6. Creighton
7. St. John's
8. Marquette
9. G'Town
10. DePaul
Go Jays
hilltopalum

Postby hilltopalum » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:50 pm

milksteak wrote:

I agree. I love Howard and Hauser, but what made Marquette so dangerous is their ability to bring Reinhart and Fischer off bench at the end of the year. those guys dominated other teams benches. I don't see them having that depth this year, so far. Wojo has mastered the grad transfer thing.
Go Jays
hilltopalum

Postby BEXU » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:03 pm

MUBoxer wrote:
xusandy wrote:That's some powerful stuff you're either smokin' or snortin' over there, Hoya33. (1) Creighton without Patton is still clearly a top half team in the league, and (2) Xavier without Blueitt will ONLY have 4 returning starters and ONLY 4 4-star recruits coming in. The Hoyas will have ....... hope. You probably got DePaul right though.

Regarding your point on Xavier I remember a Marquette team that went to the Elite 8 and had four starters coming back and a top 10 recruiting class coming in picked first in this new league... didn't work out too well for us so if I were you I'd never count my chickens before they hatch.

Was Mack coaching them?

https://twitter.com/TitanicHoops/status ... 6331834368
BEXU

Postby brewcity77 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:01 am

milksteak wrote:

The only one of the three Marquette will really miss is Reinhardt. Matt Heldt started and earned more minutes than Fischer in 5 of our last 7 games. JJ and Duane Wilson were our two least offensively efficient players. Duane's defense will be missed, but JJ's won't be. Marquette should be definitely improve on the back end. And we replace 6'2", 6'5", 6'5", and 6'11" with 6'4" Elliott, 6'7" Cain, 6'9" John, 6'10" Eke, and 6'11" Froling.
brewcity77

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board