2017-18 Big East Rankings

The home for Big East hoops

Postby scoscox » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:12 pm

Taking an early look at how I think the Big East will look next year.

Villanova
Xavier
Butler
Creighton
Marquette
Providence
Seton Hall
St. John's
Georgetown
DePaul

This is assuming everyone on the fence comes back and honestly, I could go anyway on teams 2-7. Curious to hear everyone's breakdown of their team.
scoscox

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: 2017-18 Big East Rankings

Postby xu1990 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:18 pm

scoscox wrote:Taking an early look at how I think the Big East will look next year.

Villanova
Xavier
Butler
Creighton
Marquette
Providence
Seton Hall
St. John's
Georgetown
DePaul

This is assuming everyone on the fence comes back and honestly, I could go anyway on teams 2-7. Curious to hear everyone's breakdown of their team.

Villanova
Butler
Xavier
Creighton
Marquette
St. John's
Seton Hall
Providence
Georgetown
DePaul

Love pieces BU has back plus incoming class. STJ due to be top 5-6
xu1990

Postby JohnW22 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:41 pm

Assuming
Bluiett leaves
Patton leave
Seton Hall gets Duval(Why not?)

1. Villanova
2. Seton Hall
3. Providence
4. St. John's
5. Butler
6. Xavier
7. Creighton
8. Marquette
9. DePaul
10. Georgetown
XU
JohnW22

Postby BEXU » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:52 pm

Too early for X as we have to see what Bluiett decides. Senior JP, much improved and battle tested Goodin and Tyrique Jones. Gates and O'Mara have taken a step up in post-season.
Expect Gates to finally reach his potential. I think he finally has the confidence needed. Newby Paul Scruggs was recruited by EVERYBODY and has been playing against the nations top flight schools all year in Ca. We only need one or two of the Frosh to step up next year from an excellent recruiting class. I think Mack will add another transfer "shooter" who can play right away. If Bluiett sticks, we will challenge for a BE title.
BEXU

Postby EMT » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:14 pm

xu1990 wrote:
scoscox wrote:Taking an early look at how I think the Big East will look next year.

Villanova
Xavier
Butler
Creighton
Marquette
Providence
Seton Hall
St. John's
Georgetown
DePaul

Villanova
Butler
Xavier
Creighton
Marquette
St. John's
Seton Hall
Providence
Georgetown
DePaul

Love pieces BU has back plus incoming class. STJ due to be top 5-6

That loss of Casey Woodring is killer for the Friars.
EMT

Postby Hoya33 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:09 pm

Providence loses nobody on a team that finished third. Not a player that played. As of now, I am picking them to finish first in the league.

I know this board tends to slant to the new members, but has Xavier ever exceeded where they were picked in a poll? Preseason, I think they were slotted second and finished seventh.
Hoya33

Postby NJRedman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:21 pm

Hoya33 wrote:Providence loses nobody on a team that finished third. Not a player that played. As of now, I am picking them to finish first in the league.

I know this board tends to slant to the new members, but has Xavier ever exceeded where they were picked in a poll? Preseason, I think they were slotted second and finished seventh.

hahaha you know that 3rd place finish was due to tie breakers right? They could have just as easily finished 6th or even 7th. I think they will be in the 3rd-5th range.

I think Butler will be up there along with Nova and Creighton. I think my Johnnies are in the 3rd-6th range. If they can get another big body to compliment Owens and our two transfers pan out we could be dancing next year.
NJRedman

Postby JohnW22 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:53 pm

Hoya33 wrote:Providence loses nobody on a team that finished third. Not a player that played. As of now, I am picking them to finish first in the league.

Xavier exceeded preseason expectations 2/4 years in the Big East. To even use last season as an example for not reaching expectations is crazy when those expectations were made with the belief of having Myles Davis and Edmond Sumner. Even after Sumner went down Xavier was tied for 2nd playing Villanova for a chance to be tied for first and that's when Bluiett went down and Xavier lost 6 straight. The only two teams in the conference to not exceed their preseason ranking since realignment have been Georgetown and St. John's.

Xavier:
2013-2014 Preseason 7th finished 3rd
2014-2015 Preseason 4th finished 6th
2015-2016 Preseason 4th Finished 2nd
2016-2017 Preseason 2nd Finished 7th
XU
JohnW22

Postby mel ott » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:58 pm

It does appear that the Pres at the C7 meetings got it right when they brought in Xavier, Butler, and Creighton ( I know we need to do a little more in NCAA time)- but it's great when it's a win-win for those staying and those coming in. # Go Big East
mel ott

Postby scoscox » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:10 pm

I looked at it that way as well for Providence, which is why I think they'll be good, but then I look at who Nova, Butler, Creighton, Marquette, Seton Hall, and X are bringing back and it's hard to decide how it'll look. All those teams will be extremely competitive. I can't definitively say who I think will come out on top of that heap. Well I would still take Nova to win it, but from 2 to 7 I think it's a crapshoot. I tend to think Butler may just be the best of the bunch, but I'm sticking with my muskies for now. If Trevon comes back I think that is a good bet.

As to the slant towards new members, welcome to the new Big East, Georgetown.
scoscox

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board