2017-18 Big East Rankings

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 2017-18 Big East Rankings

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:39 am

FriarJ wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:
FriarJ wrote:Please I'm begging each of you pick PC for 8th-10th again. Please? I know you each have it in you. Your terrible predictions have not run their course, you can do it one more time.

And you were the 7th best team in the league last year? Congratulations.

I see so this is not a predicted order of finish and more an arbitrary who each of feel is better despite the record. The OP should have been clearer. I could have sworn PC was picked for 9th by the experts on this board and finished tied for 3rd. My bad.

At least by doing it who we think is better then we can never be wrong.

I've always considered these polls to be more of a power ranking than a predicted order of finish. And there's a lot to support PC being the 7th best team in the league last year besides my opinion:

Kenpom: 7th
Sagarin: 7th
RPI: 6th
BPI: 7th
Strength of Record: 7th
Selection Committee: 7th
Overall Winning %: 5th
Conference winning % 3rd = 6th
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:16 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
FriarJ wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:
And you were the 7th best team in the league last year? Congratulations.

I see so this is not a predicted order of finish and more an arbitrary who each of feel is better despite the record. The OP should have been clearer. I could have sworn PC was picked for 9th by the experts on this board and finished tied for 3rd. My bad.

At least by doing it who we think is better then we can never be wrong.

I've always considered these polls to be more of a power ranking than a predicted order of finish. And there's a lot to support PC being the 7th best team in the league last year besides my opinion:

Kenpom: 7th
Sagarin: 7th
RPI: 6th
BPI: 7th
Strength of Record: 7th
Selection Committee: 7th
Overall Winning %: 5th
Conference winning % 3rd = 6th

RPI and power ratings are based on how teams perform against their entire schedule. League standings reflect performance only against the rest of the league.

I agree that Procidence shouldn't be considered the 3rd place finisher. The tie breaker is only for seeding purposes. As far as the standings are concerned, 4 teams finished in a tie for 3rd place. I'd make the argument that league standings should be adjusted to include wins gained in the conference tournament - exclusive of the first round because only 4 teams play in the first round and therefore not everyone has access to wins in that round. If that were done with the standings, the readjusted standings would look like this:

1. Villanova (18 wins)
2. (tie) Butler (12 wins)
2. (tie) Creighton (12 wins)
4. Seton Hall (11 wins)
5. (tie) Providence (10 wins)
5. (tie) Marquette (10 wins)
5. (tie) Xavier (10 wins)
8. St John's (7 wins)
9. Georgetown (5 wins)
10. DePaul (2 wins)
Bill Marsh

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:36 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:RPI and power ratings are based on how teams perform against their entire schedule. League standings reflect performance only against the rest of the league.

I agree that Procidence shouldn't be considered the 3rd place finisher. The tie breaker is only for seeding purposes. As far as the standings are concerned, 4 teams finished in a tie for 3rd place. I'd make the argument that league standings should be adjusted to include wins gained in the conference tournament - exclusive of the first round because only 4 teams play in the first round and therefore not everyone has access to wins in that round. If that were done with the standings, the readjusted standings would look like this:

1. Villanova (18 wins)
4. Seton Hall (11 wins)
8. St John's (7 wins)
9. Georgetown (5 wins)
10. DePaul (2 wins)

I know they measure different things. I was just saying that I always considered these polls to be ranking teams by quality (or expected quality), in which case OOC maters as well - as opposed to simply predicting conference standings - where 1 game could cause up to a 4 place swing. Based on the quality of Big East teams judging by their overall quality of work, Providence was underrated but not as egregiously as PC fans claim.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby kayako » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:37 pm

Someone's gonna be predicted to finished just ahead of Depaul and Georgetown. Don't be salty.
supernova
kayako

Postby JohnW22 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:51 pm

FriarJ wrote:Please I'm begging each of you pick PC for 8th-10th again. Please? I know you each have it in you. Your terrible predictions have not run their course, you can do it one more time.

I love when people rip on others predictions without making any predictions themselves. So easy to do
XU
JohnW22

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:54 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:RPI and power ratings are based on how teams perform against their entire schedule. League standings reflect performance only against the rest of the league.

1. Villanova (18 wins)
4. Seton Hall (11 wins)
8. St John's (7 wins)
9. Georgetown (5 wins)
10. DePaul (2 wins)

I know they measure different things. I was just saying that I always considered these polls to be ranking teams by quality (or expected quality), in which case OOC maters as well - as opposed to simply predicting conference standings - where 1 game could cause up to a 4 place swing. Based on the quality of Big East teams judging by their overall quality of work, Providence was underrated but not as egregiously as PC fans claim.

Good point.
Bill Marsh

Postby kayako » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:07 pm

Hall2012 wrote:That's quite the assumption lol. And a clear example of why these rankings are way too early. If they get Duval, they could well be Villanova's biggest regular season threat since realignment. If they don't, they're likely middle of the pack (though I'd put them upper middle as they'll have a team of mainly seniors). Then the worst case scenario - they don't get Duval and Delgado leaves early -possibly drops them into the bottom 3. It may somehow be more of a state of flux than they were in last year waiting on Whitehead's decision. If he returned they were likely preseason #2 to Nova, if not they were somewhere in the middle of the pack - exactly what happened.

If Delgado comes back, Seton Hall has a lot going for them even without Duval. I want to see them shoot better than 64% from the FT line. Rarely does one freshman makes a team elite.
supernova
kayako

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:05 pm

kayako wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:That's quite the assumption lol. And a clear example of why these rankings are way too early. If they get Duval, they could well be Villanova's biggest regular season threat since realignment. If they don't, they're likely middle of the pack (though I'd put them upper middle as they'll have a team of mainly seniors). Then the worst case scenario - they don't get Duval and Delgado leaves early -possibly drops them into the bottom 3. It may somehow be more of a state of flux than they were in last year waiting on Whitehead's decision. If he returned they were likely preseason #2 to Nova, if not they were somewhere in the middle of the pack - exactly what happened.

If Delgado comes back, Seton Hall has a lot going for them even without Duval. I want to see them shoot better than 64% from the FT line. Rarely does one freshman makes a team elite.

I think it's more about filling the position of need than the 1 freshman. Seton Hall is in great shape in every position except point guard - in which case they don't even have one on the roster. I imagine there's a back-up plan of bringing in a grad transfer similar to Madison Jones, and they can still be good in that scenario. But Duval's talent and reputation would draw the attention of opposing defenses the way Whitehead did (and in a way Jones simply couldn't). The result would be more space and better efficiency from Rodriguez and Carrington in particular. I agree it's rare that 1 freshman makes a team elite, but I think the current make-up of SHU's squad gives this a chance to be one of those rare cases.
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby ivet » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:07 pm

I am probably gonna go hibernate next season. See ya'll in the 2018-2019 season.
ivet

Postby Hoya33 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:26 pm

Here you go. I thought about switching Creighton and Xavier, but I will wait to hear some reports come out on Joseph.

1. Providence
2. Villanova
3. Seton Hall
4. Butler
5. St. John's
6. Marquette
7. Georgetown
8. Xavier
9. Creighton
10. DePaul
Hoya33

PreviousNext