Xavier trying to keep Dayton out?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Hoya » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:39 pm

I thought that was one of the most interesting parts of SI's article. What's the background there?
Hoya

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Xavier trying to keep Dayton out?

Postby xman » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:12 pm

I honestly had not heard that. In fact, I would think that they would want to be together for the Olympic sports to reduce travel. Maybe the writer was getting info from someone or maybe he was just making it up.
xman

Postby xu5595 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:55 pm

I have my doubts as well. I think the writer is just speculating that it could be similar to a Nova/St. Joes type situation, but I have no reason to believe that to be the case.
xu5595

Postby Bluejay » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:22 pm

I didn't interpret the SI story as X wanting to keep Dayton out, but rather that if Dayton ddn't get in, that was a possible solution.
Bluejay

Postby FlyerFan » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:06 am

There is no doubt that Dayton and X have a great rivalry. Unlike the Xavier-Cincinnati rivalry though, it isn't violent. Instead it is a rivalry built on mutual respect. I could be wrong, but I don't see X deliberately blocking Dayton.

Now, a TV network might not be interested in both because of proximity...
FlyerFan

Postby rickf » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:12 pm

I too don't think X would deliberately try to keep Dayton out.In fact, they were very instrumental in getting Dayton into the A10. However, they are not going to stay in the A10 if Dayton isn't invited into this new conference.Some of us remember Dayton bolting on X years and years ago.
rickf

Postby pki1998 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:34 pm

rickf wrote:I too don't think X would deliberately try to keep Dayton out.In fact, they were very instrumental in getting Dayton into the A10.

I agree why would X try to keep UD out when they helped them get into the A-10? I honestly put no stock in that article after reading this. Now I don't think X will demand that UD will get a spot but i an sure they will make an argument for their inclusion
pki1998

Postby Xudash » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:56 pm

pki1998 wrote:
rickf wrote:I too don't think X would deliberately try to keep Dayton out.In fact, they were very instrumental in getting Dayton into the A10.

I agree why would X try to keep UD out when they helped them get into the A-10? I honestly put no stock in that article after reading this. Now I don't think X will demand that UD will get a spot but i an sure they will make an argument for their inclusion

X won't block UD. There is a great deal of mutual respect between the institutions, including a strong relationship between the Presidents.

Nonetheless, if the BE7 only extend invites to X, Butler and Creighton or SLU, X will make the move.
Xudash

Return to Big East basketball message board