Final Four

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Final Four

Postby stever20 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:43 pm

1 thing that I think becomes a lock after last night is the NIT experiment of resetting team fouls 10 minutes into half will be the rule next year.

As far as the game, I'd love to see what would have happened had the injury not taken place with 2 minutes to go. I think Gonzaga wins if that had been the case....
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MUPanther » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:50 pm

NJRedman wrote:Officiating in college ball has gotten to the point where the games are damn near unwatchable.
Other than last night, that's not true. The freedom of movement has been good for the game. Scoring is up. Less rock fights. Ratings were huge for the tourney this year.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby kayako » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:13 pm

Is it just me or does UNC benefit from bad calls more than other schools? I still can't get over the phantom travel call in Syracuse! But Gonzaga did get every conceivable break since the selection sunday. Hard to feel bad for them.
supernova
kayako

Postby NJRedman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:16 pm

MUPanther wrote:
NJRedman wrote:Officiating in college ball has gotten to the point where the games are damn near unwatchable.
Other than last night, that's not true. The freedom of movement has been good for the game. Scoring is up. Less rock fights. Ratings were huge for the tourney this year.

Have you watched this tournament? Horrible calls in most games. Freedom of movement has meant an insane amount of fouls being called and teams shooting combined 50+ FT's in multiple games. It's easy to get scoring up when it's essentially a FT shooting contest.
NJRedman

Postby stever20 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:29 pm

NJRedman wrote:
MUPanther wrote:

Have you watched this tournament? Horrible calls in most games. Freedom of movement has meant an insane amount of fouls being called and teams shooting combined 50+ FT's in multiple games. It's easy to get scoring up when it's essentially a FT shooting contest.

the problem is some refs don't call the freedom of movement. So in those games, teams get away with what isn't supposed to happen. Then they get into another game- and you have refs that call it the way it's suppose to be called. If all refs called freedom of movement 100% of the time, eventually the players would learn hopefully- and those that don't are idiots.
stever20

Postby MUPanther » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:42 pm

NJRedman wrote:
MUPanther wrote:

I watch over 1,000 games per year, yes I watch the tournament. Went to the games in Milwaukee.

Freedom of movement has not meant more free-throws in 2016-17. Teams have made the switch. Field goal numbers are up, that has lead to scoring. First semi's in the Final Four that all four team scored in the 70's since the early 90's.

I get it, you like rock fights in basketball.
MUPanther

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:55 pm

I actually found a funny moment during last night's event.

At half time they had a panel which included Jay Williams and Jim Calhoun among others. When a panelist was speaking, they put up a side bar identifying and listing some of his basketball/tournament accomplishments. When Jay Williams was speaking, his side bar listed the 1999 NCAA tournament championship as one of his accomplishments. . . which it wasn't. Ironically that was the year that fellow panelist, Jim Calhoun, took UConn to the title. . . beating Williams' alma mater Duke in the championship game. :lol:
Bill Marsh

Postby NJRedman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:04 pm

MUPanther wrote:
NJRedman wrote:
MUPanther wrote:Other than last night, that's not true. The freedom of movement has been good for the game. Scoring is up. Less rock fights. Ratings were huge for the tourney this year.

I watch over 1,000 games per year, yes I watch the tournament. Went to the games in Milwaukee.

Freedom of movement has not meant more free-throws in 2016-17. Teams have made the switch. Field goal numbers are up, that has lead to scoring. First semi's in the Final Four that all four team scored in the 70's since the early 90's.

I get it, you like rock fights in basketball.

Well for one you are confusing the idea that freedom of movement rules and bad officiating are the same thing. Gonzaga's goaltending, UNC's block on Arkansas etc etc etc all through the tournament had nothing to do with freedom of movement.

You can say it made it better but if you want basketball to just be games featuring guards and small forwards thats cool, but thats not great basketball.
NJRedman

Postby MUPanther » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:41 pm

I never said they did. Yes, freedom of movement is not the goaltending, UNC block, etc. Never said it was!!!
I'm going by your quote of "Officiating in college ball has gotten to the point where the games are damn near unwatchable" Which is not true! YES, bad officiating is another thing.

Let's move on, I see we talking two different things, as you labeled in one brush in I see what you are talking about now.
MUPanther

Postby NJRedman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:58 pm

MUPanther wrote:I never said they did. Yes, freedom of movement is not the goaltending, UNC block, etc. Never said it was!!!
I'm going by your quote of "Officiating in college ball has gotten to the point where the games are damn near unwatchable" Which is not true! YES, bad officiating is another thing.

Let's move on, I see we talking two different things, as you labeled in one brush in I see what you are talking about now.

Says who? Thats an opinion. Who are you to say it's not damn near unwatchable? Lots of people have been complaining about the officiating this year. Have you watched all the St. John's games? Many were FT shooting contests 8-9 minutes into each half. That to me is damn near unwatchable. Maybe you dig that, cool for you. Many other people like myself don't.

Agreed, lets move on.
NJRedman

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board