Old School Seton Hall article on Deadspin

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Doge McDermott » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:03 pm

Fascinating article on Seton Hall's Andrew Gaze. Still reading through it while waiting for work requests. I love these old school stories.

Any SH fans want to chime in?
Doge McDermott

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Old School Seton Hall article on Deadspin

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:45 pm

That Seton Hall team got royally jobbed in the Finals in '89. There should be a banner hanging at SHU.

In fact both Cuse '87 team and that SHU team lost in the finals to Big 10 teams because they also missed key FT's down the stretch. Had they pulled those games out the Big East would have had 4 different schools win NC's between 1984 and 1989. That would have been sick. During that 84-89 run the Big East put 6 DIFFERENT teams in the FF: G'town (2), SJU, Nova, Prov., SHU, & Cuse. If we want to be considered the best conference today, doing some thing like that would go a long way.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:27 pm

I haven't seen that article, but I saw this one on ESPN a few weeks ago:

[list=]http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18961636/australian-andrew-gaze-laments-call-cost-seton-hall-1989-ncaa-tournament-championship[/list]

I think the most impressive part is how much class Seton Hall acted with after being screwed out of the national championship by one of the worst calls in NCAA Tournament history. Today, you'd have coaches blasting the refs in their press conference, players complaining on social media, and fans sending the refs death threats and attempting to destroy their unrelated personal businesses (hi Kentucky).

That SHU team handled it well, and as Gaze said in the ESPN story, he's actually more angry about the call now than when it happened. It's unfortunate that Michigan has the banner (though with a big blue asterisk) because everyone who saw that game knows which team deserved it. And considering we later learned what kind of a man Steve Fisher is, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he had something to do with that call.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Doge McDermott » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:42 pm

Hall2012 wrote:I haven't seen that article, but I saw this one on ESPN a few weeks ago:

[list=]http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18961636/australian-andrew-gaze-laments-call-cost-seton-hall-1989-ncaa-tournament-championship[/list]

I think the most impressive part is how much class Seton Hall acted with after being screwed out of the national championship by one of the worst calls in NCAA Tournament history. Today, you'd have coaches blasting the refs in their press conference, players complaining on social media, and fans sending the refs death threats and attempting to destroy their unrelated personal businesses (hi Kentucky).

That SHU team handled it well, and as Gaze said in the ESPN story, he's actually more angry about the call now than when it happened. It's unfortunate that Michigan has the banner (though with a big blue asterisk) because everyone who saw that game knows which team deserved it. And considering we later learned what kind of a man Steve Fisher is, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he had something to do with that call.

Don't read this part then.
Gaze told me that when he was back in the U.S. a few years later for another exhibition tour with the Australian team, he played a game that was officiated by Clougherty, and that Clougherty approached him and told him he had made a mistake by calling that foul on Greene.

“I told him, ‘Oh, no worries, mate,’” Gaze told me. “I thought it was very classy of him to say that.”
Doge McDermott

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:46 pm

Doge McDermott wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:I haven't seen that article, but I saw this one on ESPN a few weeks ago:

Gaze told me that when he was back in the U.S. a few years later for another exhibition tour with the Australian team, he played a game that was officiated by Clougherty, and that Clougherty approached him and told him he had made a mistake by calling that foul on Greene.

“I told him, ‘Oh, no worries, mate,’” Gaze told me. “I thought it was very classy of him to say that.”

And? What part of my post are you trying to dispute, exactly?
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby NJRedman » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:59 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
Doge McDermott wrote:

And? What part of my post are you trying to dispute, exactly?

He isn;t disputing anything, he's adding to it.
NJRedman

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:08 pm

NJRedman wrote:

I guess I misunderstood what he meant by "Don't read this part then."
Seton Hall Pirates
Hall2012

Postby admin » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:24 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
NJRedman wrote:

I think because it would piss you off.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Doge McDermott » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:49 pm

admin wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:
NJRedman wrote:

I think because it would piss you off.

Yes. I'd be pretty pissed if the ref that denied my team a Natty later admitted he should have swallowed his whistle. They even have gifs from two different angles showing how light the call was.

Not trying to stir shit, I just thought it was an enlightening article about international players and Big East history.
Doge McDermott

Return to Big East basketball message board