Hoyas, It's Ewing (Page 8), New Coaching Staff (Page 10)...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Georgetown Coaching Search... Update: It's Ewing...!

Postby CrawfishBucket » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:58 am

Ewing has been rehearsing this moment for a long time. Here he is coaching from chairs that have G written on them.

I love this hire. Georgetown is special. A family. We don't need a "hired gun" like a Scott Drew or Hurley or Gregg Marshall. Ewing learned Xs and Os from the best, and he can outrecruit all of those guys.

Optically it was the only hire that made sense. How do you overlook your most famous alum that has been preparing to be a Head Coach for over a decade?

There's a new sheriff in town.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NJRedman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:17 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:Ewing has been rehearsing this moment for a long time. Here he is coaching from chairs that have G written on them.

I love this hire. Georgetown is special. A family. We don't need a "hired gun" like a Scott Drew or Hurley or Gregg Marshall. Ewing learned Xs and Os from the best, and he can outrecruit all of those guys.

Optically it was the only hire that made sense. How do you overlook your most famous alum that has been preparing to be a Head Coach for over a decade?

There's a new sheriff in town.

You mean like John Thompson Jr. who played for PC or JT III who went to Princeton?
NJRedman

Postby xusandy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:49 pm

Either this is a brilliant hire, or it'll be a complete disaster. Hiring former star players who went on to be NBA greats usually goes one way or the other. Ewing has had some solid coaching experience already, so on paper at least, this is more likely to work out than the Mullin hire at St. John's. And FWIW, I think Mullin has made a lot of progress with a wrecked program since he was hired.
xusandy

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:04 pm

xusandy wrote:Either this is a brilliant hire, or it'll be a complete disaster. Hiring former star players who went on to be NBA greats usually goes one way or the other. Ewing has had some solid coaching experience already, so on paper at least, this is more likely to work out than the Mullin hire at St. John's. And FWIW, I think Mullin has made a lot of progress with a wrecked program since he was hired.

NBA coaches mostly coach . . . and manage egos. College coaches are more like CEOs. While they coach the X's and O's, rexruiting is probably a bigger key to their success. They not only have to delegate recruiting but management of student athletes' academics, player development, strength & conditioning, media relations, parent relations, scheduling, and fund raising. They're also a key public relations figure for the university overall. In some ways, Mullin's executive experience was good management training for the CEO aspect of a college coach's role. That's something that Ewing will have to learn on the job.
Bill Marsh

Postby xusandy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:44 pm

So did Mullin! And the results won't always be great, but with Big Pat looming over me on his visit, I'd be a bit afraid to NOT send my 4-5 star kid to G'town!
xusandy

Postby Bill Marsh » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:40 pm

xusandy wrote:So did Mullin! And the results won't always be great, but with Big Pat looming over me on his visit, I'd be a bit afraid to NOT send my 4-5 star kid to G'town!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bill Marsh

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:08 am

The Two Sides of The New Ewing Theory - Ben Standig, Casual Hoya - 5:19 PM EDT, April 4, 2017
There are two distinct factions when it comes to Georgetown hiring Patrick Ewing as the next men’s basketball coach. Those who love, LOVE the move and those who are quietly uneasy.

That first group is filled with dreamers, NBA columnists and old-school college basketball fans that remember when the Hoyas ruled the land with Ewing front and center. That other group is largely comprised of those who consume all things Georgetown. Who scream for joy after big wins and sought therapy after Florida Gulf Coast.

Most of what you’ve read following Monday’s big news expresses thoughts from that first group. This column speaks for that second faction.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby billyjack » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:28 pm

John Rothstein tweeted that Louie Orr (Syracuse '80) is expected to join Ewing's coaching staff.
Providence
billyjack

Postby hoyahooligan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:05 pm

billyjack wrote:John Rothstein tweeted that Louie Orr (Syracuse '80) is expected to join Ewing's coaching staff.

Hoping this is in a role similar to Keady at St. John's with Lavin rather than as one of the 3 official assistant positions.
hoyahooligan

Postby paulxu » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:54 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:College coaches are more like CEOs. While they coach the X's and O's, rexruiting is probably a bigger key to their success. They not only have to delegate recruiting but management of student athletes' academics,...

Unless you coach at UNC.
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board