Hoyas, It's Ewing (Page 8), New Coaching Staff (Page 10)...

The home for Big East hoops

Postby billyjack » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:26 am

The Georgetown coaching search i think should get a new thread...

The search committee has been silent from what i can tell. We've gotten some information from the other end, not sure if reliable.

Also, read on a Hoya board where someone brought up James Jones of Yale, who beat Baylor and almost Duke last year in the NCAA's at the Dunk. Yale has been solid for a while now.

So the list of names seems to be:

- Tommy Amaker.
- Randy Bennett, St Mary's Gaels.
- Jamion Christian, Mount St Mary's.
- Tom Crean.
- Patrick Ewing.
- Dan Hurley.
- King Rice.

others not mentioned, or loosely mentioned:

- John Becker, Vermont.
- Andy Enfield, USC.
- Ben Jacobson, Northern Iowa.
- James Jones, Yale.
- Mike White, Florida.

plus:
- Mike Brey (reportedly said no).
- Ed Cooley (definitely said NO).
- Shaka Smart.

anyone i'm forgetting?
anyone who would be a good choice not listed?
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: New Georgetown Coaching Search Thread...

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:29 am

Georgetown Hoyas Head Coaching Search: The Latest and Greatest - CasualHoya/SB Nation - March 30, 2017, 9:39am EDT
Yesterday we got the news in the form of a Woj Bomb that Georgetown has employed the search firm Korn Ferry in order to assist in the search.

Though I have no information to back it up, it’s also possible that using an search firm was a demand from Nike, which could have requested this independent party get involved in order to assuage its own Board (on which John Thompson, Jr. sits and is the longest tenured Director) if and when it discusses its contract with Georgetown moving forward.

There is a question as to when this search firm was hired by the school, and we really don’t know the answer to that. While the news dropped yesterday, it’s certainly possible the Athletic Director Lee Reed and Paul Tagliabue have been working in concert with Korn Ferry from the beginning. The only information we have had as to who was leading the search came from a release from the school and named only Reed and Tagliabue, but as we know any releases from Georgetown are akin to releases from the Kremlin.

As to the candidates: I think we’re at the point now where we really don’t know what is going down. If it’s true that Shaka Smart and Mike Brey said thanks but no thanks, the logical next call would be to Danny Hurley. The only words from Hurley have been that quote above, so we don’t know whether he has been contacted or not.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby MUBoxer » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:31 am

Is there a reason Ben Jacobson's name isn't mentioned? Not just with Georgetown but with general major coaching jobs?
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby EMT » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:46 am

Cooley
EMT

Postby billyjack » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:52 am

EMT wrote:Cooley

Lol... i know... i deliberately left him off the list...
Providence
billyjack

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:38 am

Rumor has it that Shaka is not totally off the table. But if he ultimately is, then its either Ewing or Hurley. I would probably go Hurley.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:27 pm

Does the new coach get the same amount of $$$ as JT3? Or less? Or more?

I believe Wojo originally got less than Buzz did (but he was also first time head coach, and Buzz had crazy escalators in his deal).
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Jet915 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:30 pm

I'd be disappointed if Hurley was the best coach the Hoyas could get. 6 years, 1 NCAA tournament and he barely got in. Plus, supposedly he a total jackass......I'll admit though, if he leaves URI, Coach Murphy would likely be the coaching candidate for URI and that would suck for Creighton.
Jet915

Postby CrawfishBucket » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:39 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Does the new coach get the same amount of $$$ as JT3? Or less? Or more?

I believe Wojo originally got less than Buzz did (but he was also first time head coach, and Buzz had crazy escalators in his deal).

Unless its a very big fish it will be less.

No reason to pay a guy like Hurley that much.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby billyjack » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:17 pm

With Hurley, i know i called out his sideline antics and compared him to Rip Taylor, but I'm going to backpedal a little...

In my opinion,
- he's not a crackpot on the sideline like Jimmy Patsos or anything.
- though he does get animated and postures a lot, he doesn't jump up and down and wave his arms like a nut like Mark Turgeon.
- though he stands a couple feet on the court, he's not as bad a Jamie Dixon.
- though he frequently talks to the refs duri g gameplay, he doesn't have to be held back from the refs by his assistant coaches.
- though he barks and gets mad, he doesn't get vein-popping red-faced and splittle on the court like Thad Matta.
- he's respectful and subdued in postgame press conferences.
- he's very loyal to his players.
- as an opposing fan, the collection of his small paper cuts as a whole is annoying, but overall he's fine, and I wouldn't at all disqualify him from any job due to his personality... he'd be fine at Georgetown.
- also, locally everything I've heard here in South County RI is that he's been a good guy around town.
Providence
billyjack

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board