Hoyas, It's Ewing (Page 8), New Coaching Staff (Page 10)...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: New Georgetown Coaching Search Thread...

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:53 pm

LOVE the hire. Way to go, Georgetown. We have as good a collection of coaches as any conference in the country - top-to-bottom.

Ewing/Mullin battles will be epic!
GoldenWarrior11

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby jps1943 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:44 pm

Will he hire jt3 as an assistant?
jps1943

Postby REDMEN1415 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:47 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:LOVE the hire. Way to go, Georgetown. We have as good a collection of coaches as any conference in the country - top-to-bottom.

Ewing/Mullin battles will be epic!

I hated Ewing at Georgetown, but my favorite all time Knick.

When not vs. SJU it will be heard to go against Ewing.

In 94, when winning game 5, he went up on the scorers table faced the fans and put up his arms to embrace the fans.
Wish they won just one more in houston
REDMEN1415

Postby Irishdawg » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:59 pm

The team might not be great next year unless Ewing pulls some serious magic and grabs the WKU assistant and all of his recruits as well and reels back in Tremont Waters, but it certainly will be interesting to see how he does. Should be relatively easy for him to recruit even if the kids he's recruiting never saw him play live, you know their parents certainly have. Real challenge will be with developing those guys once he gets them on campus.

Assuming things go well for him and Mullin, the Big East could be a flat out war during conference play. DePaul will be better next season, as will St. John's. Once Georgetown starts moving back up, it wouldn't be impossible for the Big East to be a Big 12 lite league with literally every team in the top 75-100 in the country.
Irishdawg

Postby Jet915 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:21 pm

Ok hire IMO. Could have done worse (Amakerl but O thought they could do much better. You would think he should be able to recruit well, time will tell...
Jet915

Postby JohnW22 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:58 pm

I might be crazy but I was hoping they'd get Tom Crean. He rebuilt a dead Indiana program and thought he could do similar things with Georgetown. Will be hard to judge Ewing this season as he isn't given much to work with but only time will tell.
XU
JohnW22

Re: Georgetown Coaching Search... Update: It's Ewing...!

Postby hoyahooligan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:21 pm

I'm fine with it. I still believe if we actually offered the job to people we could've gotten a high major coach to come to Georgetown, but the program wanted to keep it in house the whole time. Not sure why they needed to put up the charade of doing a national search, when they were always going to go with a coach to placate big John, but whatever.

I think this has a great possibility to work out well.

He has experience coaching in the NBA. If you surround him with great recruiters and one former college head coach to help guide him. With Grad Transfers I don't think the rebuild will take that long.

If we can get waters back I think the team could be pretty decent next year depending on what grad transfers we're able to land.
hoyahooligan

Postby Burrito » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:20 pm

The hire seemed a bit of a compromise to me. The majority of the fanbase wanted JTIII fired. But to keep the Thompson loyalists (and John Thompson senior) happy they hired Ewing.

I'm surprised they never contacted Crean or Hurley at all during the "search". But Ewing's received a lot of praise in the NBA and I'm looking forward to see what he can do.
Last edited by Burrito on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burrito

Postby Red Rooster » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:22 pm

hoyahooligan wrote:I'm fine with it. I still believe if we actually offered the job to people we could've gotten a high major coach to come to Georgetown, but the program wanted to keep it in house the whole time. Not sure why they needed to put up the charade of doing a national search, when they were always going to go with a coach to placate big John, but whatever.

I think this has a great possibility to work out well.

It almost sounds like you've convinced yourself you're "fine with it," based on the rest of your first paragraph. I also agree, it does have the possibility to work out, but personally, I have a hunch that's not going to be the case. If it does work out, then I'd have to come back to eat crow.

He has experience coaching in the NBA. If you surround him with great recruiters and one former college head coach to help guide him. With Grad Transfers I don't think the rebuild will take that long.

Surrounding himself with great recruiters and one former college head coach could be said for many coaches, and it could work. Grabbing grad transfers is also another way to quickly rebuild. But, it all depends on who you grab and how they fit into what a coach is attempting to do.

If we can get waters back I think the team could be pretty decent next year depending on what grad transfers we're able to land.

The hiring of a new coach could put Georgetown back on good ground with Waters. I guess we have no choice other than to wait it out and see how things turn out for Ewing and Georgetown. No offense, but I hope you've learned a lesson about over-hyping your team after the last two seasons. I don't like being the one to say, "I told you so," but I told you so. LOL Just some ribbing, man.
Red Rooster

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:16 pm

Great hire. Has the gtmo "Seal of Approval".

This will not go well for youse guys...hoyers...but makes my heart glad. Ah yes, in 3-4 years you'll be doing this again, but from the BOTTOM of the BEast. Luv it!

:lol: ;)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board