Hoyas, It's Ewing (Page 8), New Coaching Staff (Page 10)...

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Georgetown Coaching Search... Update: It's Ewing...!

Postby CrawfishBucket » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:32 pm

That's a big dude.

Georgetown really had no other alternative.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:56 pm

to me this is a huge mistake. It's living in the past instead of moving forward. the old man still had too much power in this. very dangerous. hope it works, but it would not be shocking to see it fail miserably.
stever20

Postby Red Rooster » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:37 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:Georgetown really had no other alternative.

Get real.
Red Rooster

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:01 am

Casual Hoya homepage - SB Nation

Georgetown Hires Patrick Ewing as Head Coach - Casual Hoya - Monday April 3, 2017
Are you happy with the hire of Patrick Ewing to be Georgetown’s next head coach?

YES - 65% (1882 votes)

NO - 35% (1000 votes)

2882 votes total (Poll still open and updated in real time.)

Georgetown's hiring of Patrick Ewing is a fascinating gamble - Pete Thamel, Sports Illustrated - Tuesday April 4, 2017
Ewing, a 15-year NBA assistant coach, could acclimate well to the college game, crush the recruiting trail and turn the Hoyas back into the menacing program that consistently contended for national titles. But there’s also as good of a chance that the hire could be a total disaster, as Ewing’s lack of head coaching experience, absence of recruiting expertise, and unfamiliarity with the college game could keep Georgetown lodged near the bottom of the Big East.

Will this be a home run or a total debacle? It’s a fair question. But few can argue just how captivating this grand basketball experiment will be. The confluence of a Hall of Fame name, a decaying brand and just enough unknown elements makes this one of the most intriguing hires in the history of the sport.

That brings us back to the most compelling part of this hire, the implied institutional decision that Georgetown still wants John Thompson Jr. holding a strong influence on the program. The specter of Thompson hovering over the program proved scary to established potential coaches. And the specter of further alienating Thompson after they fired his son also proved scary to Georgetown. “This is no doubt the result of a completely blown approach to the process,” said a veteran athletic director who followed the search closely. “They find themselves doubling down on the one thing you’d think you want to get away from.”

Pete Thamel’s lengthy article is well worth a read.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby billyjack » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:17 am

Fieldhouse,
Pete Thamel is a Syracuse alum. Of course he's going to slam Georgetown. He needs to worry about the post-Boeheim world, when the keys to Lower Canada get handed to Eric Devendorff.
Providence
billyjack

Postby SJHooper » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:03 am

I like the hire. Of course many people drawing parallels to SJ and Mullin but it's different. Ewing has actually had a lot of coaching experience at a high level. Mullin had zero coaching experience. I think this hire strengthens the identity of the Big East and it shows that we are still very much relevant on the national scene with NBA stars heading these programs. The Big East now has 2 HOF players coaching. For someone like myself born in '89, this gives me a glimpse into what I missed out on...I get to taste that rivalry. I think players will be excited to play for him and it's like Lou Carnesecca always says, "if you want to be a good team, get good players". I think Ewing can do that. Though I'm not totally sold on Mullin yet (I won't be until we make a tournament and if it's not within the next 2 years my hopes will fade fast), we have shown that the formula can work. So far, Mullin has us on the right trajectory. Now we just need to continue to develop players and maintain solid recruiting and we should continue upward. I think G'Town can do the same. They have much more recent success still fresh in people's minds and I always thought it was really cool they have Air Jordan brand gear. It really does make a difference to recruits.

Even though G'Town is a heated rival, I still want to see them do well since they and Villanova are the ones that allowed us to keep our respect once the C7 broke away. I think it would be odd to see G'Town continue to fall for much longer and expect them to dust themselves off. Others will call the hire a gimmick but it can definitely work and it definitely gets the conference tons of media attention. I can't tell you how many ESPN and CBS posts were on Twitter talking about Mullin and Ewing and how it's 1985 again. Really cool stuff and only strengthens the rivalry. Great for the conference.
SJHooper

Postby JohnW22 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:13 am

billyjack wrote:Fieldhouse,
Pete Thamel is a Syracuse alum. Of course he's going to slam Georgetown. He needs to worry about the post-Boeheim world, when the keys to Lower Canada get handed to Eric Devendorff.

I think you can get rid of the bold part and this statement would still be true.
XU
JohnW22

Postby Burrito » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:12 am

Didn't Pete Thamel write an article the day before that Georgetown had no plan? The next day or two, Ewing was hired.
Burrito

Postby NJRedman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:52 am

stever20 wrote:to me this is a huge mistake. It's living in the past instead of moving forward. the old man still had too much power in this. very dangerous. hope it works, but it would not be shocking to see it fail miserably.

Well thankfully you're not an actual GTown fan.
NJRedman

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:18 am

billyjack wrote:
Fieldhouse,

Jim Boeheim's retirement shows Syracuse still hasn't learned - Pete Thamel, Sports Illustrated - March 18, 2015
I attended Syracuse and covered the program for the local paper, The Post-Standard, for three years after graduating in 1999. From dealing with Boeheim on multiple arrests and suspensions of his players over the years, his only way of handling them is fighting and arguing over every detail like it’s a block/charge call. Boeheim’s competitiveness—the same trait that’s driven him to the Hall of Fame and made him a seminal figure in the university’s history—can also be his weakness. This showed up most famously when he called the molestation allegations of former ball boys against assistant coach Bernie Fine as “a bunch of a thousand lies” and said they were out for money.

Pete Thamel appears to be as tough on Syracuse as he is on Georgetown. The article I linked above does bring up some valid points about Patrick Ewing.

Burrito wrote:
Didn't Pete Thamel write an article the day before that Georgetown had no plan?

Yes, he did: As bungled coaching search continues, Georgetown operates with no plan - Pete Thamel, Sports Illustrated - Sunday April 2, 2017
Fieldhouse Flyer

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board