BE Coaches

The home for Big East hoops

BE Coaches

Postby EMT » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:30 am

Jay Wright has had a ton of success but Chris Mack may have become his equal. Stability in coaches needs to be the #1 priority to be a top conference.

The coaches I always worry about bolting are Mack, Willard, & Holtmann. Sounds like we are safe for at least another year. If we can get a great hire at Gtown, we could have stability and success.

To be considered a true equal to the P5 conferences we can't lose coaches to those conferences outside of the infamous blue bloods. Look at VCU and Dayton. That's just so disruptive. So far our coaches are rumored to be on the move but haven't made any moves.
EMT

BE Coaches

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: BE Coaches

Postby Edrick » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:52 am

Where exactly would Mack or Holtmann go? Indiana just hired Archie Miller.

Can't tell you for certain but you can take to the bank one or both declined the interest. I don't know about that job specifically but CH certainly declined the overture from NC State. I wouldn't bet against that being the case for Indiana, and I'm fairly certain Mack would've had to decline IU.

That's basically the entire job of those search firms. They contact coaches in descending order and identify the highest ranked one so when the school offers they can gain acceptance and honestly say they didn't offer anyone else. It's a semantics game.

Point is, there aren't many jobs like Indiana to turn down
Edrick

Postby ProvidenceNJ » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:14 am

I feel like the reason to take a blue blood job is the higher salary and higher probability of winning a national championship. Outside of that I don't see the appeal. Sky-high expectations means most of the coaches don't stick around very long. Personally, I'd prefer the job security and realistic expectations at Butler or Xavier.
ProvidenceNJ

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:24 am

Chris Mack may have replaced Archie Miller at the top of Ohio State's short list to replace Thad Matta when the time comes, which could be one year or 10 years from now, depending on how much the Buckeyes basketball team improves in the coming year(s).

OSU salary database updated for 2016, plus the school's highest-paid employees - March 18, 2016

==> Thad Matta, head basketball coach, $5.78 million

Early Names to watch in the N.C. State Coaching Search (Part 2) – Pack Insider - Monday February 20, 2017

==> Chis Mack (Xavier) - as of now he’s making in the $1.5 million range.

Indiana Basketball Coach Hot Board, Version 1.0 - The Hoosier.com (Rivals.com) free article - March 16, 2017

==> Chris Mack, Head Coach At Xavier - salary: $1.1 million/year
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are the schools that are most likely to poach a coach from the Big East:

COLLEGE BASKETBALL'S 10 GREATEST PROGRAMS OF ALL TIME – Bleacher Report - August 27, 2012

1. Kentucky Wildcats

2. UCLA Bruins

3. North Carolina Tar Heels

4. Duke Blue Devils

5. Kansas Jayhawks

6. Indiana Hoosiers

7. Louisville Cardinals

8. Michigan State Spartans

9. Connecticut Huskies
(actually, probably not.)

10. Ohio State Buckeyes
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Dave » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:45 am

ProvidenceNJ wrote:I feel like the reason to take a blue blood job is the higher salary and higher probability of winning a national championship. Outside of that I don't see the appeal. Sky-high expectations means most of the coaches don't stick around very long. Personally, I'd prefer the job security and realistic expectations at Butler or Xavier.

Jay has it all at Nova.
Go Nova
Dave

Postby bgxu96 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:07 pm

Hey, Muddy Waters, er, Fieldhouse Flyer, you were just on this board (for a league your team will never join) yesterday posting a bunch of garbage about Chris Mack bolting for IU. Literally, within minutes of your post, it became public knowledge that your team's coach finally had the good sense to leave the piece of dung that is Dayton for the same job you insisted Chris Mack was taking.

Now, you're back to tell us that Chris Mack is headed to Ohio State, a job that I might add isn't even open. How about you and your perverse obsession with Xavier just go the hell away? Go back to UDPride and figure out what your crap program's next step to copy Xavier's success will be. It's going to be difficult since, unlike Sean Miller, Chris Mack doesn't have a little brother you can hire. But, hey, Pat Kelsey and Chris Mack are like brothers. So, that's an option for you.
bgxu96

Postby xusandy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:04 pm

Hey bgxu96,

No need to dump on Flyer; he's added good points and valued info to lots of our discussion threads in the past. It's not his fault that UD is not in a high-major conference. And FYI, UD is clearly NOT a "crap program" or a "piece of dung." They have a great fan base and a strong bball program, and not too long ago, we had a great annual rivalry with them.

From the "96" in your name, I infer you've been an XU fan since we too were in UD's conference, hoping every year to earn some respect from fans whose favorite teams were high-majors. So play nice with Flyer, my friend. Pity him if you must, but save your insults for the Cincy or West Virginia boards, where they'll probably be viewed as appropriate behavior!
xusandy

Postby NJRedman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:03 pm

bgxu96 wrote:Hey, Muddy Waters, er, Fieldhouse Flyer, you were just on this board (for a league your team will never join) yesterday posting a bunch of garbage about Chris Mack bolting for IU. Literally, within minutes of your post, it became public knowledge that your team's coach finally had the good sense to leave the piece of dung that is Dayton for the same job you insisted Chris Mack was taking.

Now, you're back to tell us that Chris Mack is headed to Ohio State, a job that I might add isn't even open. How about you and your perverse obsession with Xavier just go the hell away? Go back to UDPride and figure out what your crap program's next step to copy Xavier's success will be. It's going to be difficult since, unlike Sean Miller, Chris Mack doesn't have a little brother you can hire. But, hey, Pat Kelsey and Chris Mack are like brothers. So, that's an option for you.

Hey guy, how about your first post isn't an attack on someone else?
NJRedman

Postby bgxu96 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:46 pm

I understand that attacking someone in my first post is poor form. I've been reading this board for years, but I'm not much of a poster. However, I feel strongly that Fieldhouse Flyer needs to be called out for the junk he or she posts on this board. In fact, I felt strongly enough about it that I registered for an account.

Flyer's MO is astoundingly similar to a member of the old A10 board (Muddy Waters, and various other handles as Muddy was banned from the board quite often). Muddy's BS made that board unreadable. Muddy's posts were always a long series of links with passages highlighted that always placed Xavier in a bad light and UD in a positive light. Sound familiar?

Look again at the "Coaching Carousel" thread, Flyer repeatedly posted about how BE coaches were on their way to other jobs. Chris Mack and Chris Holtman first to NC State (ha!), then later to IU. Then, Jay Wright as the ideal candidate to replace Coach K. Early in thread, he includes Archie Miller as a candidate as well, but then drops him off and focuses on Mack and Holtman.

Then, after Alford declares he's not a candidate, here's Fieldhouse Flyer on Saturday morning posting a bunch of inaccurate information about Mack likely being the next coach. Then, Miller takes the job, and here comes Fieldhouse Flyer posting more crap about Mack now being the top candidate to replace Thad Matta, someone who is still very much employed. This is what Fieldhouse Flyer does, which is identical to the behavior of Muddy Waters on the A10 board.

Hopefully, with Archie gone, UD will return to their rightful place as an underachieving team, albeit one with tremendous fan support. Then, maybe Fieldhouse Flyer will go away on his or her own. But, I'm telling you (if I'm correct about who this person is) he or she will slowly choke the life out of this board, and every thread will deteriorate into a pissing contest between Flyer and fans of other programs.

That said, since I've been called out by two other posters, I'll drop it. I have no intention of being the cause of the same type of bickering that I am warning against.
bgxu96

Postby xusandy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:16 pm

Good for you, bgxu96; thanks for backing off and being willing to honor our tradition of not stooping to personal insults. Even Stever, who annoys us all from time to time with his negativity, is a welcome poster here, as he does not descend to personal insults. I've had a few strong disagreements here myself (like with all the foolish folk who think we ought to do a happy dance with hapless UConn), but neither I nor my debating buddies swap meaningless insults or challenge each others' basic decency. Actually, that's probably the thing I appreciate most about this board.
xusandy

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board