Musketeers Review

The home for Big East hoops

Musketeers Review

Postby OmahaGuy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:18 pm

No need to hang your heads X fans!! Your boys had one helluva season. You lost Sumner and Davis. Went through a 6 game losing streak. Lost to my Jays at the buzzer in the Conference Semis. Then went all the way to the Elite 8. And that was no easy road either! Maryland, Florida State, and Arizona were not slouches. Those are some pretty damn good teams. Can't believe the BigEast season is over and this is my last review. So let's do it!

Losing:
*Malcolm Bernard
*Rashid Gaston

Keeping:
*Trevon Blueitt
*JP Macura
*Sean O'Mara
*Kaiser Gates
*Quentin Goodin
*Tyrique Jones
*Edmond Sumner (he should be fully recovered with his ACL by November)

Getting:
*Brady Ernst (6'8 220 from Clinton, IA. I believe he went to Iowa State first before transferring and going JuCo)
*Paul Scruggs (6'4 190 from Indianapolis. Looks like a BIG pickup. Had offers from UConn, Washington, Ohio St, Illinois, Michigan St, Indiana, Purdue, Wake Forest, and even KANSAS!)
*Naji Marshall (6'6 200 from Washington DC. Had offers from VCU, UCF, Temple, Cincinnati, Rutgers, TCU, South Carolina, UMass, Pitt, and Virginia Tech)
*Elias Harden (6'5 185 from East Point, GA. Had offers from Ole Miss, Cincinnati, Florida, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and Georgia)
*Jared Ridder (6'6 180 from Springfield, MO. Notable offers include Iowa St, Arkansas, DePaul, SLU, Oklahoma St, Boise St, and UNI)
*Kentrevious Jones (6'11 285 from Macon, GA. Only major offers via VC are LSU and Texas Tech)

That's a team to be pretty excited about next season. X ain't going anywhere!
OmahaGuy

Musketeers Review

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Musketeers Review

Postby JohnW22 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:23 pm

I would not put Bluiett in the keeping category.
XU
JohnW22

Postby Jet915 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:52 pm

I have no clue, is Bluiett a projected 1st round pick?
Jet915

Postby JohnW22 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:55 pm

Jet915 wrote:I have no clue, is Bluiett a projected 1st round pick?

No. But we've been told all season this is more than likely his last. Not as confident as I've felt about Reynolds leaving(which I think I had a little argument with you last year in the review thread over :lol: ) but it's highly likely he's gone.
XU
JohnW22

Postby Jet915 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:02 pm

JohnW22 wrote:

No. But we've been told all season this is more than likely his last. Not as confident as I've felt about Reynolds leaving(which I think I had a little argument with you last year in the review thread over :lol: ) but it's highly likely he's gone.

He certainly didn't hurt his case in the NCAA tournament but I still don't see him as a 1st round pick.
Jet915

Postby JohnW22 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:22 pm

Jet915 wrote:He certainly didn't hurt his case in the NCAA tournament but I still don't see him as a 1st round pick.

I agree with you 100% but I don't think it's the case here of if he isn't first round he isn't leaving. I think it's a case of Bluiett wants to make money and he feels he did his time at Xavier.
XU
JohnW22

Postby XUFan09 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:54 pm

Jet915 wrote:
JohnW22 wrote:

He certainly didn't hurt his case in the NCAA tournament but I still don't see him as a 1st round pick.

It's more a question of whether Bluiett could increase his draft stock at all after the run he just had. He's not going to suddenly become 2 inches taller or laterally quicker. He might get his name called in the second round of the draft, but if he doesn't or if he doesn't make it past camp, he is still in line to make a good amount of money over in Europe.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby XUFan09 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:59 pm

By the way, Sumner had a torn labrum before he tore his ACL. Originally, he was just going to get that repaired the moment the season ended, but with the additional torn ACL, that has been delayed. He needs to be off crutches before he can reasonably have surgery and start rehab for a shoulder injury too. Altogether, he probably won't be 100% until December/January. If he is back playing then, great, but if the prognosis ends up being longer, he might leave for a D-League or overseas rehab rather than have a wasted season where he risks his stock dropping lower.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby ProvidenceNJ » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:08 am

Based on Sumner needing two surgeries I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't play next year. ACL and labrum take a minimum of 9 months to recover from. I think the best scenario for next year is he gets into playing shape during the second half of the year and perhaps becomes 100% when the tournament starts. Took Dunn half of the season to start playing well after his labrum surgery. EC Mathews of URI didn't look like himself until the end of the season after his ACL surgery.
ProvidenceNJ

Postby BEXU » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:24 pm

I think Bluiett is gone. Not sure what Ed is going to do, but he sure seemed pumped up during the tournament and really loves this team. Naji may be the biggest surprise, some say he will out perform Scruggs. The Juco center may be a project early, but already people are saying he is much quicker and better with the ball than O'Mara. Ridder could be the 3 shooter we will desperately need. The Bluiett and Scruggs recruitments are a big reason Crean is looking for work.
BEXU

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board