Chris Holtmann

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Chris Holtmann

Postby jfan » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:01 am

Sorry Butler fans. The downside of not being D1 football schools is that we don't have football money to throw at BB coaches. We are headed in the right direction, but an occasional blip will occur. Is this the second defection (Buzz) in 4 years?
CREIGHTON
jfan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby CrawfishBucket » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:04 am

jfan wrote:Sorry Butler fans. The downside of not being D1 football schools is that we don't have football money to throw at BB coaches. We are headed in the right direction, but an occasional blip will occur. Is this the second defection (Buzz) in 4 years?

Timing is especially brutal.

I wonder who follows Holtmann... Be it assistants or players.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby milksteak » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:10 am

CrawfishBucket wrote:
jfan wrote:Sorry Butler fans. The downside of not being D1 football schools is that we don't have football money to throw at BB coaches. We are headed in the right direction, but an occasional blip will occur. Is this the second defection (Buzz) in 4 years?

Pedon (assistant) and Kyle Young (our top incoming recruit) are very, very likely gone.

Pedon is from Columbus, and Young probably would've gone to Ohio State if it weren't for all of the turmoil in the program.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby CrawfishBucket » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:02 pm

milksteak wrote:
CrawfishBucket wrote:

Pedon (assistant) and Kyle Young (our top incoming recruit) are very, very likely gone.

Pedon is from Columbus, and Young probably would've gone to Ohio State if it weren't for all of the turmoil in the program.

Unless... Pedon gets the Butler job.

At this point "The Butler Way" is so tied to the narrative of that school, that I'd imagine the program will stay with their M.O. of looking internally. Otherwise, it wouldn't be Butler.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby ChelseaFriar » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:02 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:
GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Unbelievable story. Holtmann isn't going anywhere.

Holtmann and Cooley are getting a lot of buzz for Ohio State. Cooley has already interviewed.

https://twitter.com/MattSBN/status/872608607602388992

https://twitter.com/MattSBN/status/872613220778991617

Cooley didn't interview. The guy later admitted he had bad info.
ChelseaFriar

Postby CrawfishBucket » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:10 pm

ChelseaFriar wrote:
CrawfishBucket wrote:

Holtmann and Cooley are getting a lot of buzz for Ohio State. Cooley has already interviewed.

https://twitter.com/MattSBN/status/872608607602388992

https://twitter.com/MattSBN/status/872613220778991617

Cooley didn't interview. The guy later admitted he had bad info.[/quote

Glad Cooley is committed.

Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby CrawfishBucket » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:13 pm

Reading some of these comments is painful.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby Irishdawg » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:57 pm

According to those in the know, Holtmann's agent is who told Adam Zagoria he was only making $1M. His actual most recent extension was somewhere between $1.9 and $2.6M. Guy was just looking to make himself look better in all this and is showing his true colors, which aren't pretty on the way out. Feel worse for the current players since he's trying to screw them out of any continuity by attempting to take his entire staff with him.
Irishdawg

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:40 am

Gene Smith's road to landing Ohio State's new basketball coach went through Dayton – Cleveland.com – June 13, 2017
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith's final push to snag Chris Holtmann as his new basketball coach took him west across I-70 to Dayton.

It was there on last Thursday morning that Smith and his wife met Holtmann and his wife, and hashed out the details that netted the Buckeyes the 14th coach in program history.

Ohio State fans wanted Archie Miller in the spring. The city of Dayton still had a place in the search to replace Thad Matta.

Smith gave a five-minute explanation of the coaching search during Monday's news conference to introduce Holtmann, a bit of an unusual move but one Smith felt necessary with reports last week detailing a coaching search seemingly devoid of much direction.

His ultimate point was simple: Holtmann emerged as his top candidate early. It just took some coaxing to get him.

Smith did meet with Creighton's Greg McDermott, and reportedly offered him the job. On Wednesday night McDermott seemed like the imminent hire, but things were happening quickly. McDermott announced Thursday morning that he would be staying at Creighton. That was around the same time Smith circled back with Holtmann, and began to make some progress.

They met in Dayton. The original offer of a seven-year contract was sweetened to eight years, and Smith got the coach he claims he wanted all along.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Doge McDermott » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:45 am

I drove through Dayton once. It was awful. I wouldn't recommend it.
Doge McDermott

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board