Chris Holtmann

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Chris Holtmann

Postby CrawfishBucket » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:50 am

Doge McDermott wrote:I drove through Dayton once. It was awful. I wouldn't recommend it.

McDermott was such a random interview that it does seem like he was thrown an interview bone to put more pressure on Holtmann.

It'll be interesting to see if he got a salary bump from Creighton out of it.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Savannah Jay » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:19 am

Doge McDermott wrote:I drove through Dayton once. It was awful. I wouldn't recommend it.

Should have stopped at the Pine Club for dinner...
Savannah Jay

Postby Doge McDermott » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:32 am

Savannah Jay wrote:

Is that like their version of Village Inn?

I was moving back to Chicago from DC, so I was in a Budget truck with all my stuff. Hit Dayton during rush hour. I was like, "WTF traffic? What city is this? Dayton? How does a tiny city like Dayton have traffic? This place blows."

It was all over in 30 minutes, but it was still awful.

Fun fact: there are like 6 different radio stations all named "The Eagle" along that stretch. Some are Classic Rock, some are Christian. All named "The Eagle" though. Road trips without tape decks are not fun.
Doge McDermott

Postby Savannah Jay » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:47 am

Doge McDermott wrote:
Savannah Jay wrote:

Is that like their version of Village Inn?

I was moving back to Chicago from DC, so I was in a Budget truck with all my stuff. Hit Dayton during rush hour. I was like, "WTF traffic? What city is this? Dayton? How does a tiny city like Dayton have traffic? This place blows."

It was all over in 30 minutes, but it was still awful.

Fun fact: there are like 6 different radio stations all named "The Eagle" along that stretch. Some are Classic Rock, some are Christian. All named "The Eagle" though. Road trips without tape decks are not fun.

Believe or not, Doge, it's a very good steakhouse and the cocktail sauce with the shrimp is heavy on the horsey (like St. Elmo's in Indy, if you've been there by chance). Shrimp cocktail, filet, hash browns, creamed spinach...it was very good. I will go back when Dayton joins the Big East and Creighton plays there : )
Savannah Jay

Postby sciencejay » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:08 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:

McDermott was such a random interview that it does seem like he was thrown an interview bone to put more pressure on Holtmann.

That's an interesting take since McD was offered $3M/yr to coach OSU. Juuussssstttt slightly more than an interview bone.
sciencejay

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:41 pm

Hmmm, some pretty negative takes for old Bulter there. Can they hold the 9th spot in the conference? Will they plummet all the way..."like the man of today"...Hugo Boss

Can't say I'm happy as it is good for the conference to have several competitive teams, but it appears the Bulldogs will become fodder for the upper and mid tiers this coming season.

Good luck ahead Butler.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby CrawfishBucket » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:07 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Hmmm, some pretty negative takes for old Bulter there. Can they hold the 9th spot in the conference? Will they plummet all the way..."like the man of today"...Hugo Boss

Can't say I'm happy as it is good for the conference to have several competitive teams, but it appears the Bulldogs will become fodder for the upper and mid tiers this coming season.

Good luck ahead Butler.

The silence of Kyle Young is not good. The pressure is on Jordan now to replace Pedon and Johnson with a quality staff. The pickings are slim right now. It looks like he will probably have to bring his guys from Milwaukee.
Georgetown
CrawfishBucket

Postby Xavier4036 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:57 pm

CrawfishBucket wrote:

I know it doesn't follow your agenda of the Big East losing coaches left and right to "football schools" but McDermott wasn't just an interview..... Greg McDermott turned down a $3-3.5million/year contract from Ohio State.

That was after Chris Mack turned Ohio State down without even a second thought, that was after Chris Holtmann turned down Ohio State's 6 year contract offer, Greg McDermott turned down Ohio State's offer, then Chris Holtmann turned down Ohio State's 7 year contract offer and then finally accepted their 8 year contract offer and over $25M guaranteed.
Xavier4036

Postby Nildogg » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:32 am

Lol. The success of Butler this year or next has nothing to-do with Youngs decision.

And coaching changes like this at Butler have proven to not be a Game changer for the program. If anything it's elevated each time. The Miller situation was unusual and an anomaly. His personal health issues should have been better vetted. The ominous predictions of Butlers demise are hilarious.
Nildogg

Postby JohnW22 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:33 am

Nildogg wrote:Lol. The success of Butler this year or next has nothing to-do with Youngs decision.

And coaching changes like this at Butler have proven to not be a Game changer for the program. If anything it's elevated each time. The Miller situation was unusual and an anomaly. His personal health issues should have been better vetted. The ominous predictions of Butlers demise are hilarious.

I agree with this. I think Brandon Miller got unlucky as his roster at Butler was just not very good and not even Brad Stevens could have done much with it and Miller did recruit Martin and I believe Wideman also.
XU
JohnW22

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board